Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2012, 05:00 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,976,948 times

Advertisements

I am wondering if there are any good groups that lobby Congress for more legislation protecting pets. I would like to know of national groups, but also maybe some in New York City. The ASPCA is centered in New York. I know some of the state SPCA's are great and some are horrendous. Do donations to the ASPCA get filtered down to the states or do they rely on locals only?

If there are such groups, I wonder how well they are rated on Charity Navigator ( Charity Navigator - America's Largest Charity Evaluator | Home )?

People around the issue of helping animals seem often to accuse each other. We are not all vegetarian, some of us, I'll bet, wear fur.
Despite all this, we can each tolerate each other's preferred living styles to band together for a common cause, which may be legislation to protect animals more on a national platform. Maybe we should push for harsher penalties for those who abuse animals commonly brought into homes as pets. Sure, pigs are smart, but we have to start somewhere and end the divisiveness that depletes our efforts.

We need one common goal that we can all agree on and a national org. that can work for that. We should not scatter ourselves too thinly. Maybe we can list an agenda and then put it in some order and work on only one thing at a time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2012, 06:40 AM

380 posts, read 833,638 times
Here's one: Animal Legal defense Fund, started when a bunch of Animal-loving Lawyers got together.
Charity Navigator Rating - Animal Legal Defense Fund

Animal Legal Defense Fund*:*Index

http://aldf.org/section.php?id=3
Quote:
For more than three decades, the Animal Legal Defense Fund has been fighting to protect the lives and advance the interests of animals through the legal system. Founded in 1979 by attorneys active in shaping the emerging field of animal law, ALDF has blazed the trail for stronger enforcement of anti-cruelty laws and more humane treatment of animals in every corner of American life. Today, ALDF’s groundbreaking efforts to push the U.S. legal system to end the suffering of abused animals are supported by thousands of dedicated attorneys and more than 100,000 members. Every day, ALDF works to protect animals ...
http://aldf.org/section.php?id=3

Old 12-26-2012, 04:06 PM

32,659 posts, read 48,067,543 times
If you want laws to protect pets, work locally on enforceable local laws.

Most of the big "animal rights" groups are working hard to end pet ownership and the raising of farm animals. Not people that I will support with my dollars.

Old 12-27-2012, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOF4256 View Post
It sounds great, but Charity Navigator gives it only three stars.
There financial papers are not audited, and to me there is no reason to not audit unless you are hiding something.

Thank you, though. They would have been perfect if it were not for that.

Old 12-27-2012, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post

Most of the big "animal rights" groups are working hard to end pet ownership and the raising of farm animals. Not people that I will support with my dollars.
To END pet ownership? Where do you get that from?

Old 12-28-2012, 01:09 PM

I was thinking of some sensible law addressing the quality of life for common pets, cats and dogs. That they be fed and watered on a regular basis, that dogs be walked regularly or allowed a run, etc.

There should be some stiff penalties for not adhering to that and for mistreating animals, like dog racing. I know it is illegal (isn't it?) but sometimes there is just a fine involved and paying it is easy.

Old 12-28-2012, 02:40 PM

1,988 posts, read 5,386,350 times
Most (all?) states have those laws about access to food and water. I'm not sure about forcing people to allow their dogs to run. If they mandated that, then they would have to provide more safe places for people to do it. That could get expensive, so a law like that likely would not pass. I doubt it would pass anyway because too many variables (inclement weather, old/injured dogs, old/injured owners, etc.) I think more people would walk their dogs if more people would adhere to leash laws. Personally, it scares me to walk my dog down my street because the neighbors dogs are always loose and pretty aggressive - glad my yard is pretty large. Which type of dog racing do you mean? greyhounds? It's legal in some states, and a big money maker (gambling) - so I doubt that's going to change. I don't feel that other types, such as lure coursing, sledding, etc., is mistreating the animal.
So again, I think enforcing current laws would be better than making new ones.

Old 12-29-2012, 04:34 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,997,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post

From what I've seen in my lifetime, some animals should not be kept as pets. The conditions most are kept under are not suitable for the animal or bird. Some examples are parrots in small cages where they can't even flap their wings. They are seldom allowed out of these small usually smelly cages. Some pluck themselves bald from boredom. Rabbits in too-small cages with metal mesh floors and sore hocks. Rabbits too can suffer from boredom. Guinea pigs suffering in pens not only too small, a common problem, but with wet stinking litter no one bothered to change, even when bringing them to the vet. And they urinate all over their pens or cages. They must be cleaned daily. I've seen dirty smelly fishtanks so full of white mice they're fighting constantly leaving bloody wounds on the poor creatures. Iguanas half dead from improper food and temperature control.

So I do believe there should be some control over the pets being sold and some means to make sure they have large enough adequate housing and owners have the knowledge to properly care for them. And the financial means to care for them properly. Most people who brought them in to see the vets had the same tired old excuses. They don't have the room or space for large cages or pens. Or they can't afford them. If we pointed out that the cage was in need of a good cleaning we heard how they don't have the time. Then they wonder why their pet is sick.... sadly, many people, rather than spend the money to treat them and purchase proper housing and food, would have them euthanized. And in many cases it's a child's pet. The parent couldn't care less if it lived or died. They don't even bother to take them to the vet. They dump them off at shelters, in parks and cemeteries, or try and unload them (these days) on places Craigslist.

Old 12-29-2012, 04:55 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,997,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
I can't see any kind of a "federal pet legislation group" ever really becoming a reality, and I personally hope it never will, as I think it's unfair and very discriminatory to have to have rules and regulations just to love a pet...There will always be bad pet owners, just like their are bad parents, yet there is no legislation that dictates what they can or cannot do, so why should there be one for pet owners?..I always get a little scared when a group of people feel they can dictate and tell others how they should or should not run their lives.
It's how they run the animals lives that's the problem. You can do as you like with your life. Outside your family, most people wouldn't care. But the animals can't choose for themselves as you can. Too many people buy or adopt pets with little knowledge of their proper care or what's involved in their care.

Old 12-29-2012, 05:02 AM

328 posts, read 682,600 times
You need to approach your State Legislators for equal rights. Here in N.J. they passed a law that makes allot of sense. The fine is $250 for a dog not wearing a seat belt, whereas it is $50 for a person not wearing a seat belt. About time we protect our pets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets