Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 04:04 PM

11 posts, read 30,766 times

Advertisements

Raising a pet when someone in the family is allergic.
Anyone have a family member or even yourself that are allergic to pet dander yet still have one?

Hubby and I would like to add an addition to the family. But husband is allergic to pet dander.
Is it possible to build up a tolerance to pet allergy?
We do not want to adopt a pet only to find out it's impossible to keep.
And if it helps, we are thinking between a dog, cat or possibly a bunny.

Thanks for your time and hopefully replies
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2013, 06:21 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,846,929 times
There is a pet shampoo that helps, can't think of the name. It is the saliva on the licked fur that most people react to.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 01-30-2013, 06:51 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,771,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpicyMayo View Post
Raising a pet when someone in the family is allergic.
Anyone have a family member or even yourself that are allergic to pet dander yet still have one?

Hubby and I would like to add an addition to the family. But husband is allergic to pet dander.
Is it possible to build up a tolerance to pet allergy?
We do not want to adopt a pet only to find out it's impossible to keep.
And if it helps, we are thinking between a dog, cat or possibly a bunny.

Thanks for your time and hopefully replies
I did, although my degree of seriousness might be more at the level of sensitivity rather than full-blown allergy.

I had a cat for 11 years and gradually built up immunity to where the symptoms were very minimal and only occasional.

A year ago in November this cat died

Just three or four days ago I adopted another cat (having forgotten all about the allergy part, of course) and I remembered the allergy only after making the commitment. I decided to adopt Fiona anyway ~ there's a 30 trial period during which time I can take her back if need be ~ though I hope I'll be able adjust.

So yes, my experience seems to indicate that in at least some cases, one can gradually gain self immunity.

This time my reaction was strong enough that for the first 24 hours I thought I'd be taking her back, but in the last day and a half, (already!) it seems not so severe and I'll wait at least 2-3 weeks longer before deciding. Of course by now I'm lovin' her and want to be her forever person if at all possible. My fervent hope is that my immunity level is rebounding; it seems to be the case.

Here's my thread about her and you may want to read it, because there's discussion about this issue. Fiona !

Old 01-30-2013, 08:28 PM

687 posts, read 1,494,817 times
My daughter is allergic to every animal and all kinds of trees and bushes. Her allergies were bad enough that she actually went through the whole allergy shot regimen. I also have a cousin whose children are severely allergic. Have you looked into "hypo-allergenic" pets? My cousin's family has a hairless dog for her kids. My daughter has a hairless cat. At first I thought she was the ugliest thing, but she has the most wonderful personality and she's grown on the whole family (Oops, the cat, not my daughter.) We also have several other dogs and cats. I think without the allergy shots my daughter would probably be miserable, but she's the one who keeps bringing home the strays. Poodle mixes are also supposed to be good for those with allergies, as is the Portugese water dog. Found this page with a Google search of "pets for people with allergies." 10 of the best pets for allergy sufferers: When Fluffy forces you to flee | MNN - Mother Nature Network

Old 01-30-2013, 11:06 PM

Thank you all for your replies

SouthernBelleInUtah - If you remember the name of that shampoo, can you please keep me posted.

Macrina - I'm sorry to hear about your cat and Fiona looks purrfect
Hopefully the adjustment is going well.

Mama Red - Did it take awhile for the allergy shot to take effect when your daughter gets them? Our doctor has mentioned he's better off taking a zyrtec everyday but now wondering if the shot would be better.

Old 01-30-2013, 11:18 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,771,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpicyMayo View Post
Thank you all for your replies

SouthernBelleInUtah - If you remember the name of that shampoo, can you please keep me posted.

Macrina - I'm sorry to hear about your cat and Fiona looks purrfect
Hopefully the adjustment is going well.

Mama Red - Did it take awhile for the allergy shot to take effect when your daughter gets them? Our doctor has mentioned he's better off taking a zyrtec everyday but now wondering if the shot would be better.
Well Fiona has pretty much taken charge and I'm holdin' my own. . ..

Old 01-30-2013, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrina View Post
Well Fiona has pretty much taken charge and I'm holdin' my own. . ..
Oh I bet, saw all the pictures and she is a beauty.

Old 01-31-2013, 12:25 AM

687 posts, read 1,494,817 times
The shots are once a month for about 2 years, then it tapers off. Basically forcing the body to build up a resistance. Took about 6 months to see improvement. Pre-shots, she would get sinus infections so bad, her whole face would swell.

Old 01-31-2013, 07:54 AM

27 posts, read 178,021 times
My daughter is severely allergic to pet dander, but cat is the worst for her. Even with years of desensitization shots, she will still react. She is not so bad with dogs, and we had a black lab that we just kept away from her as much as possible, he was only allowed in the rooms she did not frequent and we allergy proofed out home. Special air filters throughout the house and venting system, customized draper, leather and wooden furniture, no carpeting, pillow and mattress encasements. The whole shebang, and it really helped. She tolerated him fairly well, until he passed away 2 years ago. We just got her a cavapoo puppy she fell in love with for her birthday a few months ago, and I was really worried, but she has not had any reactions, at all. The dog barely sheds at all, and we groom her every week. She's been a ton of fun for our whole family and I'm so glad my daughter's allergies are doing well, too. Here's a link to a site that sells tons of allergy products, inlcuding the special pet shampoo: Allergy Relief Products, Natural Sinus Relief, Asthma Management | National Allergy Supply Good luck!

Old 01-31-2013, 10:27 AM

2,888 posts, read 6,542,179 times
I used to be allergic to cats and pollen. I got allergy shots for few years and no longer need them. Since then, I have had both cats and dogs.

For me, the benefits of having a pet seem to out weigh the problems.

I would definitely discuss this with your doctor, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets