Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2019, 04:28 AM

13,286 posts, read 8,460,871 times

Advertisements

I work in hospitality. By law service animals are granted access with their owner.
It's 99% rare that the service animal is without its owner day or night. They have a job to do!
Fast forward..the typical guest saying the emotional support pet is equally important .and we can't deny them . We iterate what is covered under the federal ruling.
So the guest said..fine. we have a crate. Well keep it in our car..blanket and water inside.
Well our state 2 years ago put into law about animals (pets)being left outside ..tethered or in hot/cold conditions. Animals left in cars on frost filled nights falls under the violation. The guest said...I'm keeping it sheltered and warm...what's the problem!!! We advised that in a mile radius there are two boarding places that they can apply. Not pricey and state licensed. The guest said...it's a purebred!! It cannot be around mutts!! It's an outdoor dog anyway. They naturally reside in cold conditions. You can't tell me how to attend to my pet care. Our hotel can be fined for aiding this antic. So basically our laws to keep pets safe..healthy and not exposed to certain weather conditions are backfiring. How are humane pet laws in your area? Do you support them or find them a nuisance when you travel with your furry friend? The guest insist we are being unsupportive to pet owners . We Insist we care about their wellbeing in a locked car on temp dropping to 10 degrees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2019, 06:55 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,737,386 times
I'm smart enough to book stays in pet-friendly properties in the first place instead of just showing up somewhere and acting like a blowhard when I don't get my way. The internet makes all this so easy. Some people persist in making things way harder on themselves than they should be.

Old 03-16-2019, 08:48 PM

14,496 posts, read 12,128,212 times
I'm confused... the dog is allowed in when the owner is there, but not when the owner is not? So they want to leave it in their car for some period when they are gone? How long will it be? Not all night, I would imagine, or they wouldn't need a hotel room at all.

What breed of dog is it?

Old 03-17-2019, 10:49 AM

32,659 posts, read 48,067,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
I'm confused... the dog is allowed in when the owner is there, but not when the owner is not? .....

Different type of dog. OP talks about service animals which are allowed in, by law, and which are almost always with the owner because they are working to help the owner with a handicap. The dog in the car is an Emotional Support Animal which are only protected by law in rental housing and on the airlines. Hotels are not required to take them. Also, they have no requirement to be trained in any way and the majority of them are nothing more than pets, not performing any service at all, so the owner leaves them alone without making any sacrifice in their day to day life or quality of life.

Old 03-18-2019, 06:38 AM

838 posts, read 555,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I'm smart enough to book stays in pet-friendly properties in the first place instead of just showing up somewhere and acting like a blowhard when I don't get my way. The internet makes all this so easy. Some people persist in making things way harder on themselves than they should be.
^^ Ditto!

I have a feeling these guests were gambling on the fact that you wouldn't push the issue regarding their dog.
Good on you for calling them out. And you were not being unsupportive as you offered them other, reasonable accommodations for their pet. They were being unreasonable by not booking a pet friendly room in a pet friendly hotel; service animals being the exception.

Just like kids, pet owners need to make the appropriate accommodations. THEIR job, not yours.

Old 03-18-2019, 04:36 PM

199 posts, read 158,740 times
So the woman claims to need an animal to be emotionally stable but then refuses to provide basic shelter to the animal or any concern for its well-being? I'd call animal control on the guest. She will get the animal removed from her "care" and then it'll be a moot point. Maybe she can get an emotional support chia pet instead.

Old 05-03-2019, 04:23 PM

13,286 posts, read 8,460,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Different type of dog. OP talks about service animals which are allowed in, by law, and which are almost always with the owner because they are working to help the owner with a handicap. The dog in the car is an Emotional Support Animal which are only protected by law in rental housing and on the airlines. Hotels are not required to take them. Also, they have no requirement to be trained in any way and the majority of them are nothing more than pets, not performing any service at all, so the owner leaves them alone without making any sacrifice in their day to day life or quality of life.
Thank you for clarity with this response.
Correct -service animals are doing a job. 24/7.
The purebred in queston was here as a participant in a dog show. Pretty sure (correct me if I'm wrong ) purebreds in shows aren't really "service" dogs per se.
The main reason our particular hotel curtails animals is two fold: one- fleas and liability. Yes even the smaller pets have snapped at fellow visitors. So we had to follow federal service laws on animals and cease letting Lassie or Fido on premise if they were "just traveling" pets.
On the opposite note...we actually had a guest with a service dog...and two other guests chose to complain about us not enforcing the no pet rule. NOT Once did they stop and inquire if it was a service dog, but instead called our corporate office and complained. Luckily corporate pulled the records and saw we had identified the room as a "service" pet provisioned.

Old 05-04-2019, 01:30 PM

32,659 posts, read 48,067,543 times
I know several people with purebred service dogs that show their service dog at dog shows. Of course, most show dogs are not service dogs, although many of them do therapy dog work (therapy dogs not legally protected).

But if a service dog needs to be with his owner, at dog shows the dog and human are right together and working as a unit with good manners and training.

While I was showing, the head of the disabled persons rights group had a Bouvier des Flandres service dog that she showed to his championship and many group wins. He was a "balance dog" and right there by her side in the show ring if she needed him. He couldn't wear his harness in the show ring, but could still do his job.

I've known many medical alert dogs that have been shown, and many champions among them.

But generally, no. a show dog doesn't qualify as a service dog unless he really is trained to be a service dog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets