Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2019, 01:19 AM

29,533 posts, read 22,801,559 times

Advertisements

Totally understandable.

Having to deal with the reality of treating pets as well as the owners of these pets can be challenging at times, to say the least.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/why-...153830606.html

Quote:
Being a veterinarian is the stuff of childhood fantasies, right? It may be for some, but there’s a dark side to the profession, too: disproportionately high rates of suicide, depression and work-related burnout. And that’s something worth talking about during Mental Health Awareness Month, considering how much anyone with a beloved pet relies on their vet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2019, 06:21 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,937,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Totally understandable.

Having to deal with the reality of treating pets as well as the owners of these pets can be challenging at times, to say the least.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/why-...153830606.html

Interesting SG....never would have considered this.

Old 05-21-2019, 06:51 AM

2,269 posts, read 1,651,992 times
Good article. Thanks for posting. Our (cat only) vet runs his business a bit differently. It’s the owner and another doctor and several techs and staff members. The two docs alternate every other Friday off plus one half day per week for both and always have weekends off.

Old 05-21-2019, 10:40 AM

1,665 posts, read 1,930,695 times
A few years back I saw a segment on the evening news regarding this subject.

I was shocked, until I thought about it.

Someone has to operate on the smashed up and/or abused animals. Some of which either don't come thru surgery or never make a full recovery.

Someone has to put a beloved pet to sleep while the human either sits with it or waits in the waiting room, bawling their fool head off.

Someone had to lay five of my horses to rest (over a lifetime). Four seniors who had been with me forever and a coming four year old who fell in the pasture during a heavy rain and shattered the bones in a front leg. Yes, I was standing there bawling my fool head off thru all five.

Sometimes the good cannot outweigh the bad they often see, so I get it.

I believe the vets who are in this mostly for the money are few and far between. Most of them (Who also often get accused of overcharging) are vets because they sincerely care and its that deep concern that often does them in, over time.

Old 05-21-2019, 01:34 PM

32,725 posts, read 48,333,377 times
There would be money strain, too. Lots and lots of expenses and lots of people who don't feel a need to pay their vet bill.

One of the vets I used, who had gone to 100% cash-in-advance policy, told me that customers owed her over $100,000 in unpaid vet bills.

The entire staff relies upon the vet for their living. It is a lot of responsibility.

Then for some reason, the general public believes that they can take any stray injured animal to any vet and that vet is obligated to patch the animal up for free.

Old 05-22-2019, 05:27 AM

1,665 posts, read 1,930,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
There would be money strain, too. Lots and lots of expenses and lots of people who don't feel a need to pay their vet bill.

One of the vets I used, who had gone to 100% cash-in-advance policy, told me that customers owed her over $100,000 in unpaid vet bills.

The entire staff relies upon the vet for their living. It is a lot of responsibility.

Then for some reason, the general public believes that they can take any stray injured animal to any vet and that vet is obligated to patch the animal up for free.
^^^^This too

I have ALWAYS paid my vet bills when they ask for the money -- even if it meant pulling out my credit card, which has by-and-large been my reserve for big vet bills.

Being raised on a farm and life's experiences has allowed me to be pretty good at taking care of many veterinary needs, the average person has to have a vet for. When I do need a vet, I don't want my name flagged as someone who doesn't pay their bills on time or is at least faithfully sticking to a payment plan.

I hope we aren't "Preaching To The Choir", and the people who really need to read this read it, and it sinks in.

Old 05-23-2019, 10:12 AM

10,382 posts, read 8,039,534 times
All the health care professions have a greatly increased risk of suicide. It's a result of a combination of things: the sort of personality that's drawn to health care (compassionate, perfectionist, hyper-responsible), the inherently stressful nature of the work, easy access to lethal drugs, and enough knowledge of anatomy and physiology to know how to successfully kill oneself on the very first try (and reasonably painlessly). Add onto that the fact that until recently admitting to depression (or other mental disorders) could jeopardize licensure, which of course gave practitioners a very big incentive to not seek out help.

Please, if you think your vet (or any other health care provider you know) may be struggling with burnout or other mental health issues, don't be afraid to speak up and encourage them to seek out help! You may be saving their life.

Old 06-07-2019, 11:24 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,655,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
All the health care professions have a greatly increased risk of suicide. It's a result of a combination of things: the sort of personality that's drawn to health care (compassionate, perfectionist, hyper-responsible), the inherently stressful nature of the work, easy access to lethal drugs, and enough knowledge of anatomy and physiology to know how to successfully kill oneself on the very first try (and reasonably painlessly). Add onto that the fact that until recently admitting to depression (or other mental disorders) could jeopardize licensure, which of course gave practitioners a very big incentive to not seek out help.

Please, if you think your vet (or any other health care provider you know) may be struggling with burnout or other mental health issues, don't be afraid to speak up and encourage them to seek out help! You may be saving their life.
Makes total sense to me. If I had easy access to drugs that could painlessly end my life, why would I hang around just to get old and die from cancer or end up with dementia or something? No thanks.

Old 06-10-2019, 06:23 PM

10,382 posts, read 8,039,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
Makes total sense to me. If I had easy access to drugs that could painlessly end my life, why would I hang around just to get old and die from cancer or end up with dementia or something? No thanks.
You'd kill yourself at age 30 in order to avoid developing cancer or dementia at age 70? That makes absolutely no sense at all.

The vets (and other health care professionals) aren't committing suicide because they're received a terminal diagnosis and they want to end their lives before things get really bad. It's depression and burnout that's causing them to resort to suicide, because they feel trapped by their work and can't see the many other non-lethal options (such as changing careers, or cutting back on work hours) that they could turn to in order to deal with their issues.

Old 06-10-2019, 06:56 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,655,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
You'd kill yourself at age 30 in order to avoid developing cancer or dementia at age 70? That makes absolutely no sense at all.

The vets (and other health care professionals) aren't committing suicide because they're received a terminal diagnosis and they want to end their lives before things get really bad. It's depression and burnout that's causing them to resort to suicide, because they feel trapped by their work and can't see the many other non-lethal options (such as changing careers, or cutting back on work hours) that they could turn to in order to deal with their issues.
No, not 30.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets