Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 01:10 AM

1,813 posts, read 2,846,985 times

Advertisements

No. I would be concerned that one day when I was not around he could hurt the pet purposely or leave the pet in a situation where it could hurt itself. If this happened I would never forgive myself. It's not worth taking the chance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2009, 01:15 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
when you pry my dead cold fingers from my beta, get out!!

Old 04-20-2009, 06:39 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,086,869 times
One would think after they saw my house with two chis and a parrot who knows if he likes a person or not would get the drift . I knew a girl once who had a cockatoo and it screamed and while she was at work the b/f hit the bird and broke its beak she came home to find the bird laying on the floor of the cage . she rushed it to the er vet and she told him not to be there when she got back . the vet reported the b/f , he was arrested days later on animal cruelty charges and he has to pay 1200.00 in vet bills ordered by the court and the judge . so there is no way I would ever date or marry someone who did not like animals . yes my parrot screams only in the morning though and after that he is as quiet as a church mouse .

Old 04-20-2009, 02:19 PM

4,137 posts, read 9,105,653 times
Rather a non-issue for me at this point for the husband and I married with Labs in tow. He isn't fond of cats, but didn't mind when I brought one home...in fact the two get on very well. Now if a person approaches the home (campaigner or religious 'salesman') and my 'informer' (chocolate Lab) bristles and lets out her warning 'whuffle', you may wish to consider. My Labs would love to lick you to pieces and wouldn't harm a fly, but the chocolate is a very good judge of character and is very protective of her family. It's only happened twice and I just looked at her then at whomever was approaching and told them firmly to leave off.

A slight variance to the OP though....I was raised by a mother who refused to have any sort of pet in the home unless it was her parakeets. All the dogs had to be chained/kenneled outdoors, absolutely no cats - these carried germs and were filthy creatures according to her (while a parakeet is pristinely clean???). She told me one time after I moved on that unless I were to put my pets outside when she visits, she would not come. Needless to say, unless my father drags her along, she doesn't frequent my doorstep. It is my house and my dogs and cat are my family.
Note - I have NOTHING against parakeets, I've owned several and larger birds as well...but to say a bird is cleaner than a dog??? Havers.

Old 04-26-2009, 11:35 AM

4,218 posts, read 8,530,941 times
Answer to the question... NO.

When my husband and I first started dating I had a kittie and a horse. I never figured him for a cat person but he LOVED that cat. Eighteen years later, he was just as upset as I was when the cat had to be euthanized, maybe more so. I think he liked the cat for its independent nature (like his own). However, he knew I always wanted a dog once the cat left us. He joked with our friends that he did whatever he had to to keep the cat healthy... even mouth-to-mouth ... to put off that time when a dog would inevitably come into our lives. He also knew that getting a dog was non-negotiable. He'll be the first to admit that Chester is a great dog, and that I picked a "good one." To see hubby on the floor and Chester lick, lick, licking his forehead makes me smile. But he'll also admit that given a choice, he wouldn't have a house dog (is there any other kind?). My hubby is more than a great sport, and I love him for it.

P.S. Still have a horse too.

Old 04-26-2009, 11:46 AM

16,671 posts, read 17,435,450 times
I think that people's attitudes to pets give a good insight into their general behaviour.

For me this is an academic question as I'm married, but if someone didn't like my dog I'd be suspicious of them.

If my dog didn't like someone I know there'd be something wrong with them.

Our cat, being a cat, wouldn't give a fig about anything- she's above all of that!

Old 04-26-2009, 11:01 PM

947 posts, read 3,409,221 times
Nope!

Even if they may not Be a cat, dog, reptile, etc "person" they still have to care about animals, so I guess that in turn would make them some kind of "animal person".
For me they would need to care about my "kids" and know that I care about them lots!

Old 04-26-2009, 11:57 PM

523 posts, read 1,680,370 times
"Have you ever or would you ever date or marry someone who openly disliked or even hated your pet? Did you dump the pet or the person?"

No way. I couldn't even get serious with someone who was alergic to my furkids. >^..^<

Old 04-27-2009, 11:02 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,832,394 times
Default Would you date or marry someone if they openly disliked or hated your pet???

What a dumb question!

I wouldn't even associate with somebody like that or even let them on my property.

Old 04-28-2009, 03:08 PM

283 posts, read 892,756 times
I would say no if I had the pets before the relationship. I married my husband before I had any pets. I adopted a cat 8 months ago and it's worked out well. He is great with her. He built her a cat tree, cleans poop from her butt (not without complaints hehe), and pets her when she walks by. But I unable to convince him to adopt another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets