Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 12:45 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,080,364 times

Advertisements

I just had an experience I never want to have again . I took a lady to go look at apts and when asked about the pet fees , the lady at the office told her non-refundable 600.00 !! Omg what a racket !!! I could not believe that . I have rented houses and I mean in some of the best neighborhoods and have never ever paid 600.00 for a pet fee . Is that crazy or what ? Oh her dog weighs 4 lbs it is a tea cup yorkie . there is only one of them . Pet friendly my behind not with those prices .What do you all think of the outrageous pet fees apts are charging ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2009, 01:01 PM

1,477 posts, read 7,909,568 times
I think that many rental property owners have been discouraged from renting to pet owners because at some point in the past they have been left a disgusting mess by an irresponsible pet-owning tenant. They now make the deposit as punitive as they can to discourage irresponsible tenants from the beginning and to cover their cleanup costs and more if they do have a problem tenant.

It's the "one bad apple" rule in practice.....

Old 06-22-2009, 01:06 PM

1,116 posts, read 1,132,930 times
It is sad, but even a small dog can pee on a carpet until it needs replacing. Paying a fee is better than being told "no pets under any circumstances". Unfortunately, the apartment owner has no idea how well trained or not that little dog is. Believe me, we had a rental house totally trashed by people with untrained dogs. Had to replace wallpaper and carpeting through out the house. It spoils things for those of us who do take care of our pets. Good luck to your friend with the little Yorkie, hope she can find someplace affordable.

Old 06-22-2009, 01:14 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,415,243 times
I agree with the statements above. As unfair as it seems, think of all the times the landlords have been left with a mess on their hands. Destructive dogs and cats can do a number on any apt....and I'm betting most times, $600 won't even begin to cover the damage. We rented an apt. when moving here to Tx. while our house was being completed. They charged us $700 a pet deposit and refunded every penny of it when we left.

Old 06-22-2009, 01:51 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,080,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
I agree with the statements above. As unfair as it seems, think of all the times the landlords have been left with a mess on their hands. Destructive dogs and cats can do a number on any apt....and I'm betting most times, $600 won't even begin to cover the damage. We rented an apt. when moving here to Tx. while our house was being completed. They charged us $700 a pet deposit and refunded every penny of it when we left.
At least yours was refunded these I am talking about are non refundable and I am like well if the dog has done no damage why dont they refund . Oh and it is state law where I live that they must replace the carpet and paint after every tennant leaves . I have been told by several landlords that .

Old 06-22-2009, 02:45 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,174,310 times
When I was young, my dad rented to a young couple who had a cat. When they moved out....the doors and trim was totally destroyed. He was furious and said he would never rent to a person with pets again. Maybe some of these landlords have had the same past experience. Therefore, the pet deposit has to cover a great deal of possible interior replacement.

Old 06-22-2009, 03:42 PM

723 posts, read 1,634,182 times
The pet fee thing is a scam. Parent with todlers don't have to pay those kinds of fees, and little kids do a heck of a lot more damage than my cats have ever done.

Landlords need to realize, it's not the pets, it's the people. I mean when my cats were kittens, I made sure they did not pick up bad habits. When they have an accident, as all pets do sometimes, especially if they are sick, I clean it up. Responsible parents do the same with their kids. Irresponsible parents will let their kids mess up more stuff than any pet is capable of.

Old 06-22-2009, 04:26 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,415,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProgShred View Post
The pet fee thing is a scam. Parent with todlers don't have to pay those kinds of fees, and little kids do a heck of a lot more damage than my cats have ever done.

Landlords need to realize, it's not the pets, it's the people. I mean when my cats were kittens, I made sure they did not pick up bad habits. When they have an accident, as all pets do sometimes, especially if they are sick, I clean it up. Responsible parents do the same with their kids. Irresponsible parents will let their kids mess up more stuff than any pet is capable of.
This is all true.. and it is why you also usually pay an additional deposit. They just don't call it a "child deposit".

Old 06-22-2009, 04:29 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,610,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProgShred View Post
.,,,,,Landlords need to realize, it's not the pets, it's the people.,,,,,.
Renters should realize it's not their property. A renter has the right to seek a home that fits them and a landlord that accepts them. If the conditions are unacceptable, you keep looking.

Old 06-22-2009, 06:37 PM

723 posts, read 1,634,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
This is all true.. and it is why you also usually pay an additional deposit. They just don't call it a "child deposit".
I've never seen anyone with kids and no pets have to pay anything other than the normal security deposit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
Renters should realize it's not their property. A renter has the right to seek a home that fits them and a landlord that accepts them. If the conditions are unacceptable, you keep looking.
Renters know that. The landlord is the one who hurts himself, because he may end up renting to someone who is irresponsible, but since he didn't have a pet, why not rent to him? Most pet owners are responsible and make good tenants. I can and will live the best place for me, but the landlords that are that short sighted hurt themselves in the end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets