Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2012, 05:35 PM

27 posts, read 56,237 times

Advertisements

I've rented in Philly for 12 years and lived in several areas. As an artist on low income I've lived in a few dumpy (at the times)neighborhoods over the 12 years...around broad and girard, fishtown, chinatown, south philly. That's dumpy as in kind of trashy with ghetto tendencies ie. litter, stoop blunt smoking, but over all pretty safe...at least for young group house bar and party going artist types. I've also watched those hoods change...mostly in part to the long gone boom? perhaps...
Anyway, times have changed. I definitly missed the housing boom. I now have an 8 month old daughter, a wife to be and another baby on the way. The only thing that hasn't changed much is my income:/
And so with the possibility of a single income I might be looking for a house at or below 80-90k. This type of living expense adjustment would be a great help, considering we now pay 1250/month to rent in west philly.
I'd really like for us to stay around the Bmore corridor of 49th but I don't know that we can afford it.
Yet, I'm not sure I'm comfortable moving us to the types of affordable hoods I've lived before. I'm keeping an open mind. I guess I'm asking for pointers to blocks that are still affordable and cleaning up. I'm not prospecting for the next NoLibs as I so often read about. I am looking for hidden gems that I'm missing. I'm not too in touch with the young home buyers and neighborhood changers these days. A safe hood with some trees and nice neighbors. Home ownership is the 5 year plan. We might be gone before children start school. So, that's not much of an issue.
Weigh in folks!
thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2012, 05:38 PM

27 posts, read 56,237 times
BTW I realize this more is a question for a real estate agent. But, I would like to get some street level input. Hear what areas folks like for young families..my little research project

Old 01-04-2012, 06:35 PM

1,225 posts, read 2,568,434 times
Well, at that price point you'll have a tough time. Your problem is that at 80-90k you'll either have to move into a long shot improving neighborhood, or a formerly stable working class area now in decline. I don't know that you could get that price around Malcolm X Park in West Philly. I highly doubt it, because I know houses have been selling up that way for around 200k and over. On some blocks maybe lower, but definitely not below 100k. I think you're going to have to look long term. 80-90k may be doable on a house that needs a lot of work in a more stable area as well. I think parts of Kensington, Fishtown, and even the good parts of South Philly may be possible if you can find a property that's in need of a ton of TLC. You'll have to put a lot into the property then, but if you can stand doing it over the long term, it will be worth it. Either way you're going to have to think of this as a long term investment.

Old 01-05-2012, 12:49 AM

958 posts, read 1,198,926 times
If you're willing to go outside the city, I'd recommend Lansdowne given that you're an artist and there's an artistic community there I'm told. It's definitely safer than sketchy parts of Philly but at the same time, be street smart. It's got a great community to it though and is very family-oriented. It's also got a nice little downtown, two Regional Rail train stations, multiple parks (including the Hoffman Park area, restaurants (including one that's been getting rave reviews), a YMCA, and it's right next to Clifton Heights which has the Broadway Diner, Clam Tavern, Gaetano's pizza, Rosatti's Water Ice, and multiple other great places to get food. Playhouse Lanes is right on Shadeland Avenue in Drexel Hill too.

And it's definitely got trees. Very leafy.

Just stay away from Yeadon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia