Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 07:14 AM

3 posts, read 6,178 times

Advertisements

Good Morning, we own a condo in Old City, live there part-time. We do not keep a car with us when we are there. What are the best options for grocery shopping? I am happy to use public transportation, I just don't seem to know where to begin finding the correct destination! Thank you for any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2012, 07:27 AM

147 posts, read 353,803 times
My wife and I usually go to Reading Terminal Market, Trader Joe's (22nd and Market Trolley Stop), Super Fresh on South St. or H Mart in Upper Darby (Right at the end of the EL).

If you do decide to go to RTM, try to stear clear of it during lunch rush and peak hours during large conventions. It can be a frustrating mad house in there during those hours. I generally go around 9-11am and 3-5 pm so I'm not constantly held up by tourists, gawkers, and lunch going conventioners.

The Trader Joe's is right around the corner from the 22nd and Market Trolley Stop, my wife usually goes there while I'm at work, so safety isn't an issue. Super Fresh is between 10th and 11th St's on South St. It's very convenient to the 47 and 23 busses going north-south.

HMart is a Korean supermarket that caters to all types of Asian cooking, but mainly Korean. My wife just takes the EL to 69th st, and the walk isn't more than 5 minutes from the terminal.

Last edited by Darbarian; 02-22-2012 at 07:35 AM.. Reason: More Details.

Old 02-22-2012, 08:50 AM

10 posts, read 38,868 times
Default Delivery?

Have you considered grocery delivery? I'm thinking about doing that when I move into the city even though I'll most likely have my car.
These sites are supposed to be nationwide, but I haven't confirmed

Amazon Grocery
ShopFoodEx
Netgrocer

For more info, check out this Lifehacker article:
How Shopping for Groceries Online Saves Time, Money, and Hassle

Old 02-22-2012, 09:02 AM

Thank you Darbarian for the information - I have been going to Trader Joes, mainly because I know where it is! Will look into the others.

Dbry23 - thank you for the reminder of online, the issue there is delivery, I have to verify the delivery time windows, to see how feasible it will be to be home for delivery.

Old 02-22-2012, 09:05 AM

147 posts, read 353,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PartTimePhilly View Post
Thank you Darbarian for the information - I have been going to Trader Joes, mainly because I know where it is! Will look into the others.

Dbry23 - thank you for the reminder of online, the issue there is delivery, I have to verify the delivery time windows, to see how feasible it will be to be home for delivery.

There is also a Whole Foods on Pennsylvania Ave, and another location on South Street right next to the Super Fresh. I don't care for WF that much because I can get the same types of products from Reading Terminal and Trader Joe's.

Plus there is a reason they are nicknamed Whole Paycheck.

Old 02-22-2012, 12:09 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,698,612 times
I would go to Whole Foods or Superfresh. Both of them are on the corner of 10th and South Streets. Superfresh is a lot cheaper. You could easily walk there. Reading Terminal Market is great too. Trader Joes and the Whole foods on Penn Ave. will be a hike for you.

Old 02-22-2012, 03:13 PM

8,982 posts, read 21,171,724 times
Is the SuperFresh on 5th and Delancey still open? It's been a while since I been that way. That would seem to be the most convenient supermarket to Old City.

Old 02-22-2012, 03:31 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,226,654 times
If I was living in old city, I'd take the El up to the new superfresh on Girard, right off the El, as opposed to the one on 10th and South. I typically go to the one on 10th and South and like it - it's within walking distance - but probably wouldn't go there from old city.

I agree with the other recommendations, Reading Terminal Market and Trader Joe's are very convenient off the subway system (although Trader Joe's very ignorantly forces you to enter through the parking lot in the rear of the building.

Old 02-22-2012, 03:49 PM

1,339 posts, read 2,485,546 times
There is a superfresh on 5th st in society hill. that is the closest, and the only one i know of that is practical to walk to from old city, other than the maybe the reading terminal and chinatown. there is also a whole foods at 10th and south next to the superfresh (which is larger than the one on 5th st)

Old 02-22-2012, 04:06 PM

Thank you all so very much for your input - I am heading up tomorrow for a few days, if the weather cooperates I will give this a try. Appreciate your help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia