Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 01:11 PM

4 posts, read 3,346 times

Advertisements

Hi y'all!
So I am desperately in need of some advice! I am moving from Colorado to Philly very soon (in about two weeks!) and I am trying to decide on an area to live in. I am a 22 year old, female young professional, who will be living alone. I will be working in Malvern and I would live to have my commute be about 35 minutes or less (because no one likes a far commute!)

I am in search of an apartment in an area that has a young crowd with things to do (nightlife, bars, art, etc), as well as being safe. I do not know anyone moving out to this city so having a area with things to do and a similar aged crowd in order to make some friends is important to me. Of course safety is important too, since I am a young female and will be alone a lot of the time, I don't want to walk outside at night and get mugged or anything! I am not too concerned with school districts, etc or any family related as I am single, with no kids.

Ideally I would like a nice one bedroom apartment for around $900 including utilities, but I would not be opposed to a nice spacious studio either in that price range. I know that price might not seem like much, but I just graduated college so I am on a bit of a tight budget!

So if you guys have any suggestions of areas that I could look in that would be great! Or even some tips for moving to area would be nice too. I've only been to the city once very briefly so any information would be helpful.

Thank you guys so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2016, 02:01 PM

3,168 posts, read 5,537,679 times
Would you be driving to work or taking the train? Under a 35min commute doesn't give you too many options. I'd say West Chester, Conshohocken, or Manayunk if you'd be driving. $900 utilities included will also be hard to come by in all those neighborhoods... you can maybe find a studio, otherwise you're better off looking for roommates.

Old 02-05-2016, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca8377 View Post
Would you be driving to work or taking the train? Under a 35min commute doesn't give you too many options. I'd say West Chester, Conshohocken, or Manayunk if you'd be driving. $900 utilities included will also be hard to come by in all those neighborhoods... you can maybe find a studio, otherwise you're better off looking for roommates.
I would be driving. Hmm I suppose I should look into studios then. I've heard good things about Manayunk. But I don't know much about West Chester or Conshohocken. Is there a good crowd in those places and stuff to do?

Old 02-05-2016, 02:11 PM

3,168 posts, read 5,537,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majabee View Post
I would be driving. Hmm I suppose I should look into studios then. I've heard good things about Manayunk. But I don't know much about West Chester or Conshohocken. Is there a good crowd in those places and stuff to do?
Sometimes really good deals do pop up so perhaps you can find a 1BR. I live in Manayunk and love it. Conshohocken is similar to Manayunk with less amenities and a little more grown up. I'm not too too familiar with WC so others can speak to that, but it is mainly influenced by the university so there are quite a few things to do.

Also, parking in Manayunk is terrible so you'd want a parking spot if you're driving every day.

Old 02-05-2016, 02:30 PM

1,119 posts, read 1,468,397 times
Quote:
Plenty to do in West Chester, although you don't have easy rail access if you're going into the city. Manayunk's got lots of restaurants and bars and good, quick rail to Center City. But, as has been pointed out already, parking is gruesome. Plus you'd be subject to Philly's wage tax even though you'd be working outside the city.

Old 02-05-2016, 11:39 PM

2,013 posts, read 1,611,908 times
I doubt you'd even get to Malvern from Manayunk in 35 minutes. Maybe just.

Don't live in West Chester. It's way the hell out there and you'll rarely come to the city. It's a cool town and you won't be far from work, though.

Conshohocken is a nice town but I don't know if you will be able to find an apartment for $900 there. Like Becca said, sometimes you can luck out, but you don't have time on your side. Unlike Manayunk, you won't pay the wage tax, and unlike West Chester, you'll be on the Regional Rail so you'll get to Philly more (maybe).

I'm trying to think of other places, but they are either too pricey or too out of the way.

Old 02-06-2016, 08:12 AM

13,255 posts, read 33,580,361 times
Quote:
Hi y'all!
So I am desperately in need of some advice! I am moving from Colorado to Philly very soon (in about two weeks!) and I am trying to decide on an area to live in. I am a 22 year old, female young professional, who will be living alone. I will be working in Malvern and I would live to have my commute be about 35 minutes or less (because no one likes a far commute!)

I am in search of an apartment in an area that has a young crowd with things to do (nightlife, bars, art, etc), as well as being safe. I do not know anyone moving out to this city so having a area with things to do and a similar aged crowd in order to make some friends is important to me. Of course safety is important too, since I am a young female and will be alone a lot of the time, I don't want to walk outside at night and get mugged or anything! I am not too concerned with school districts, etc or any family related as I am single, with no kids.

Ideally I would like a nice one bedroom apartment for around $900 including utilities, but I would not be opposed to a nice spacious studio either in that price range. I know that price might not seem like much, but I just graduated college so I am on a bit of a tight budget!

So if you guys have any suggestions of areas that I could look in that would be great! Or even some tips for moving to area would be nice too. I've only been to the city once very briefly so any information would be helpful.

Thank you guys so much!
Majabee, My youngest son is your age and moved to Seattle last fall after graduating from College. He was also looking for a single apartment but ended up getting a room and sharing an apartment. The only time he had been to Seattle was for the job interview. He and his roommate have hit it off and have a group of friends that they do things with. She's also from out of the area. He went through a roommate matching site, similar to dating sites. If you're interested I can get the name of it. So instead of settling for a small apartment, he has a huge one with all the bells and whistles, plus a friend.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 02-06-2016, 12:40 PM

1,784 posts, read 1,563,244 times
Rent in good areas in the Philly area is between $2 - $4 per sq ft depending on how close it is to Center City. At $900 per month, you'd have to split the rent with someone else for a decent 2 bedroom place. You may also want to factor in a 1 hr commute to Malvern if you live towards the city. The morning commute will be OK but the evening commute will be worse, if you are one of those guys who leave work at 4 pm. But if you leave work at around 7 pm may be better off.

Just be aware traffic in the Philly area is an issue. If work is important to you, live close to work. If it's not, you can live wherever you would like to.

Quote:
Hi y'all!

Thank you guys so much!

Old 02-06-2016, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
Majabee, My youngest son is your age and moved to Seattle last fall after graduating from College. He was also looking for a single apartment but ended up getting a room and sharing an apartment. The only time he had been to Seattle was for the job interview. He and his roommate have hit it off and have a group of friends that they do things with. She's also from out of the area. He went through a roommate matching site, similar to dating sites. If you're interested I can get the name of it. So instead of settling for a small apartment, he has a huge one with all the bells and whistles, plus a friend.
Getting a roommate is the very last option for me. I lived 4 years in college with a roommate and I can no longer stand it. So unless I have no other choice, I don't want to live with a roommate.

Old 02-06-2016, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ondoner View Post
Rent in good areas in the Philly area is between $2 - $4 per sq ft depending on how close it is to Center City. At $900 per month, you'd have to split the rent with someone else for a decent 2 bedroom place. You may also want to factor in a 1 hr commute to Malvern if you live towards the city. The morning commute will be OK but the evening commute will be worse, if you are one of those guys who leave work at 4 pm. But if you leave work at around 7 pm may be better off.

Just be aware traffic in the Philly area is an issue. If work is important to you, live close to work. If it's not, you can live wherever you would like to.
Well like I said, I want my commute to be not more than about 35 mins. And I also really, really do not want a roommate. Its more important to be near things and have things to do but at the same time, if I'm commuting for an hour, I won't have any time after my normal 8-5 work day so it would make being in a fun area, irrelevant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia