Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 09:54 AM

1 posts, read 14,630 times

Advertisements

[SIZE=3]My wife and I recently moved back to Philly to be close to a good hospital during her pregnancy. We rent the 2nd floor of a 2 unit duplex. The people on the first floor play loud music during the day. I asked them once myself to turn it down and they did. It continues to keep happening. The landlord asked them to keep it down in writing but it has not helped. We moved here to be close to a good hospital because my wife is extremely high risk. Now she is stressed because she’s not getting the sleep she needs and when I go to work I know her anxiety level raise. If I move out because of this issue can I be sued for the full terms of the one year lease? Or is there a better way to handle this? At the end of the day no amount of money is worth the risk to my wife and child but we just don’t have the cash to run out and rent another place after just laying out 2 months’ rent and a security deposit on this place. HELP? [/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2012, 11:50 AM

1,624 posts, read 4,053,918 times
If you are close enough to the hospital the noise ordinance is stricter. So as not to stress your wife, the task falls on your shoulders. Always notify the landlord in writing of the noise, even after you call them. Maybe remind the land lord that you will have to start calling the police on his tenants if he does not help with the problem. Excessive complaints can get the landlord in trouble as well. Moving right now might be too much of a strain on your wife. Maybe some soft noise cancelation headphones for her? This is a tough one.

Old 12-26-2012, 03:59 PM

1,567 posts, read 3,115,986 times
Honestly, there's next to nothing you can do. There are quality of life laws on the books, but the PPD doesn't enforce them. I'm truly sorry to say that your options are 1. Violence. 2. Live with it. 3. Move.

That's it. It sucks. Sorry.

Old 12-26-2012, 07:03 PM

3,391 posts, read 8,777,584 times
This is one of the downsides of living in multifamily housing..... getting stuck with a bad neighbor, or maybe just poor construction. Some kind of background white noise is really the only solution. Something like a fan, doesn't have to be blowing on you obviously, will do the trick. Or listen to your own music, something you like. If you are really tired then background music or even the TV, as long as it's something you control won't keep you awake. You can also buy ear plugs at the drug store but personally I find them uncomfortable.

Old 12-26-2012, 08:57 PM

469 posts, read 925,020 times
I feel for you, I agree with Mancat. In the future, always do a month to month lease. That way you give your 30 day notice and you are free to go.

Old 12-26-2012, 09:10 PM

2,939 posts, read 4,124,253 times
Read the fine print in your lease. 90 days notice usually gets you out with your security deposit returned.

Old 12-26-2012, 09:16 PM

3,391 posts, read 8,777,584 times
After you spend all that money to move, how do you know you won't run into the same thing again? Actually it could be a lot worse than just music next time.

Old 12-27-2012, 09:38 AM

2,048 posts, read 2,155,192 times
"Always do a month to month lease" - very hard to find, in a decent neighborhood. Even 6 month leases aren't widely available. Most of my options (as I'm trying not to sign a year-long lease) involve waiting for someone to decide to sublet their place for the rest of their lease.

Old 01-02-2013, 10:38 AM

370 posts, read 1,564,336 times
You are entitled to "peaceful enjoyment" of your accommodations. As a person who works at night, I totally sympathize with your wife trying to rest during the day however, even though I live in a house; I still get the occasional 140db car radio thumper or the loud exhaust vehicles. You've talked to the neighbor, your landlord has given them a written notice. I am guessing you have another 4 months to go? I like the option of ear plugs or noise cancelling headphones (there is some research to suggest babies do respond to music and it can "calm the savage beast"). If you are lucky your neighbor's lease is coming up for renewal and they are on their way out! It is likely that, if you are complaining, so are other neighbors. Keep up the pressure to show your support and understanding.

Old 01-03-2013, 12:07 PM

154 posts, read 322,548 times
you'll get em back, soon as that baby come home from the hospital. At least you won't have to worry about bothering them since they haven't worried about bothering you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia