Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2009, 05:24 PM

344 posts, read 842,123 times

Advertisements

i am single and with a girlfriend
my concerns are safety (vehicle and person), local acessibility, racist cop situations (i have lived in shippensburg and experienced some really bad stuff...am i running a high risk in these areas?)
please be raw and real with me...no rose colored glasses
thanks so much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2009, 08:35 PM

1,623 posts, read 6,529,885 times
Definitely not a problem in Royersford and probably not a problem in Abington as well.

Old 05-27-2009, 04:48 AM

117 posts, read 589,200 times
You should be fine with all that in Abington. Lots of different races as well as sexual preferences in the area, and I think the cops are pretty cool and used to that.

Old 05-27-2009, 07:14 AM

8,982 posts, read 21,176,024 times
I don't know Royersford at all so I can't comment good or bad there.

As many of you know, I grew up in Abington so I like to think I know it fairly well (even if my school info is a little outdated). If by accessibility you mean transportation, then you'll be happy to know that there are no less than seven Regional Rail trains in the Abington/Jenkintown area. Also the turnpike is just a few miles north.

I predict little to no issues with cops regarding race relations. It would probably be helpful not to socialize at the Crestmont Country Club bar, though. As far as people in general, one might see some occasional mild discomfort with minority/interracial presence among Baby Boomers on the west side of town (i.e. neighborhoods off Easton Rd). However, Gen Xers on down grew up as the area became more diverse and don't have those issues. The area that I call the "V" (including Abington/Cheltenham/Upper Dublin) is among the more diverse suburban areas in the metro.

Old 05-27-2009, 11:36 AM

8 posts, read 30,292 times
I have lived in the Royersford/Limerick area for 33yrs. And most of my aunts and uncles live or have lived in Abington. Both areas are good and for safe. Close to major highways & shopping malls. Let me know I can help you out with anything else.

Old 05-27-2009, 03:49 PM

6,183 posts, read 6,078,382 times
Abington cops can be punks but as long as you're not a total moron you should be fine

Last edited by FindingZen; 05-28-2009 at 07:15 AM.. Reason: watch the language

Old 05-30-2009, 08:03 PM

37 posts, read 178,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
I don't know Royersford at all so I can't comment good or bad there.

As many of you know, I grew up in Abington so I like to think I know it fairly well (even if my school info is a little outdated). If by accessibility you mean transportation, then you'll be happy to know that there are no less than seven Regional Rail trains in the Abington/Jenkintown area. Also the turnpike is just a few miles north.

I predict little to no issues with cops regarding race relations. It would probably be helpful not to socialize at the Crestmont Country Club bar, though. As far as people in general, one might see some occasional mild discomfort with minority/interracial presence among Baby Boomers on the west side of town (i.e. neighborhoods off Easton Rd). However, Gen Xers on down grew up as the area became more diverse and don't have those issues. The area that I call the "V" (including Abington/Cheltenham/Upper Dublin) is among the more diverse suburban areas in the metro.
Totally agree...I grew up in the Roslyn section of Abington. We had race issues up through the early 80s, but thankfully that stuff is well past. I now live in Willow Grove (on the Upper Moreland side) and enjoy the diversity of the area. Also can't beat the convenience...I'm within walking distance of a train station and 4 different SEPTA bus lines.

I can't speak for Royersford personally, but I can't imagine there's a good comparison when it comes to transportation access.

Old 05-30-2009, 08:49 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,886,219 times
If you worried about transportation stick with Abington. its closer to the city and much better public transportation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia