Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2012, 06:20 PM

1 posts, read 404 times

Advertisements

Last night, I attended my sons cub scout meeting. I am the Pack Leader, and I help the den leader which has 8 boys. Our group tends to get out of hand at times. We have some boys that are challenging, as they try to make their own rules. Last night, the first thing given to the boys was a paper that was round, and had a green border. On the border it said "If I ruled the world....I would...." and they had to write a paragraph. It was part of an ongoing project they are working on. I walked past my son and read on his paper he wanted to be a millionaire and various other things for himself. I walked around the table and observed all of the other boys papers. everyone of them had selfish ideas that included everything they would have, or control. One of them wanted to control his own military. As I saw them starting to finish, I walked past the last boy and stopped. I looked over his shoulder, and saw what I was waiting for. I was waiting for an opportunity to teach the boys. I read the paper in front of me, and I got goose bumps. I was thrilled at what I saw. This 8 year old boy wrote: " I would make people not have war, I would not let people use drugs, I would have them recykkle. We would all fly airplanes and helicopters."

I asked him if he was finished and he told me "yes." His mother was sitting next to him, and she looked at me as if I was crazy taking her sons work. I told all of the boys to look at me, to put the pencils down, and to pay attention. I shared the boys words with everyone. I told them that being a scout, being a good citizen, being a good person, is about doing for others with no expectation of a reward. Thinking of others before yourself.

I joined the scouting program for my son. I am a Marine, and wanted to be a mentor, and positive role model for these boys. I was sold because I know throughout my life I remember the leaders that helped me grow in life. I remember my teachers, I remember my coaches, and I was never in scouts, but I was told that most boys always remember their leaders from scouts as well. I wanted to be able to teach these boys, and the more I am involved, it seems the more they are teaching me.

In closing, I have hope because I saw the look in the boys eyes change as I spoke to them. I know they were listening, and I was so proud that one of them really gets it. I am sorry for being long winded, but I loved what happend and wanted to share.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2012, 04:19 AM

5,671 posts, read 4,354,716 times
Very nice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy