Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 02:51 PM

44 posts, read 60,787 times

Advertisements

Hello. Im not sure if this is the correct Forum for this Post, but ill go ahead anyway.

Since i moved to this little town 4 years ago , roughly 15,000 people, I have personally experienced many unethical things done to me as well as hearing many horror stories by others . Ive lived in numerous places in the U.S. but this particular place is quite inundated with unethical Merchants of all sorts whether they be Service Companies, Auto Repair Shops, Fitness Center, and others.

In the interest of making this a better Community, I am seriously considering exposing proven unethical Merchants by taking some proactive measures and hope Others in the Community will join in eventually .

While i am adament about aligning myself with the Law , I want to excersise my Constitutional Rights where freedom of speech is concerned ; Im trying to come up with a list of ways/sources to effectively expose these Merchants and would like input as to other ways to approach it . Heres some of what i have so far :

1. Write a column in social networking Online Sites such as [domain blocked due to spam].com for my locale.
2. Contact the BBB.
3. Sit outside the establishment holding a large sign saying i was cheated by them , along with handing out flyers to explain the story.
4. Handing out flyers to the neighboring Merchants in close proximity to the rip off Merchant .
5. Putting flyers up on bulletin boards.

What are some other venues that can be helpful in accomplishing my goal ?

I am retired now so have lots of time to devote to this. I feel it is a worthy venture as everyone has been cheated by Merchants sometime in their life. I dont want to perform any vengeful acts that are unlawful, but want to concentrate on exposing for greater public awareness.

Thoughts ? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2013, 03:23 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,388,517 times
All sound very good.
The one with holding the sign usually makes the passers by think
you are nutty tho.
(Be careful of that one, then you could become the target).

Old 07-22-2013, 10:00 PM

19,036 posts, read 27,607,234 times
I'd just start marking doors with white signs. Stormtroopers will come soon enough.

Old 07-22-2013, 10:02 PM

19,036 posts, read 27,607,234 times
Don't you have some better application for your righteousness? A charity work maybe? Oh, and by the way. Not sure what American equivalent is, but Russian sying says: will notice spec of dust in someone's eye, will not a log in his own.
When was the last time YOU stood in front of a mirror and looked at YOURSELF?

Old 07-23-2013, 01:51 PM

8,272 posts, read 8,657,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInFlorida View Post
Hello. Im not sure if this is the correct Forum for this Post, but ill go ahead anyway.

Since i moved to this little town 4 years ago , roughly 15,000 people, I have personally experienced many unethical things done to me as well as hearing many horror stories by others . Ive lived in numerous places in the U.S. but this particular place is quite inundated with unethical Merchants of all sorts whether they be Service Companies, Auto Repair Shops, Fitness Center, and others.

In the interest of making this a better Community, I am seriously considering exposing proven unethical Merchants by taking some proactive measures and hope Others in the Community will join in eventually .

While i am adament about aligning myself with the Law , I want to excersise my Constitutional Rights where freedom of speech is concerned ; Im trying to come up with a list of ways/sources to effectively expose these Merchants and would like input as to other ways to approach it . Heres some of what i have so far :

1. Write a column in social networking Online Sites such as [domain blocked due to spam].com for my locale.
2. Contact the BBB.
3. Sit outside the establishment holding a large sign saying i was cheated by them , along with handing out flyers to explain the story.
4. Handing out flyers to the neighboring Merchants in close proximity to the rip off Merchant .
5. Putting flyers up on bulletin boards.

What are some other venues that can be helpful in accomplishing my goal ?

I am retired now so have lots of time to devote to this. I feel it is a worthy venture as everyone has been cheated by Merchants sometime in their life. I dont want to perform any vengeful acts that are unlawful, but want to concentrate on exposing for greater public awareness.

Thoughts ? Thanks.
I like your idea. I have felt the same many times. I always wondered about the legal aspects and that prevented me from doing it.

Old 08-06-2013, 07:41 AM

115 posts, read 158,309 times
Tons of potential legal backlash, even if everything you do is honest. Have you considered moving somewhere that doesn't suck? Then you could retire in peace.

Old 08-06-2013, 07:54 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,388,517 times
Helping others to not be ripped off, also, is a wonderful thing, my friend.
There's no log in you're eye...you are seeing clearly and rationally...
you see injustice and want to right it.
Bless you.

Old 08-06-2013, 08:44 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
If you moved there only four years ago, you are going to be seen as a newcomer, and will have no credibility. In fact, most people in the town will resent you, if they don't already. Business has been done that way in that town for as long as anybody can remember, and the local people all have their own ways of combating unethical practices as the situations arise. If a certain businessman is "unethical" do you think that nobody in town had ever noticed it before, and need for you to bring it to their attention?

In all likelihood, the local people are not ripped off the same way you were and will have little sympathy for you if you start stirring things up. As for your "freedom of speech", the government is required to honor that freedom, but your neighbors and the people you do business with are not. Small towns do not take kindly to interlopers arriving in town and trying to "fix" things. If you do, I will almost guarantee you that you will lose.

Old 08-06-2013, 09:26 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,081,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
If you moved there only four years ago, you are going to be seen as a newcomer, and will have no credibility. In fact, most people in the town will resent you, if they don't already. Business has been done that way in that town for as long as anybody can remember, and the local people all have their own ways of combating unethical practices as the situations arise. If a certain businessman is "unethical" do you think that nobody in town had ever noticed it before, and need for you to bring it to their attention?

In all likelihood, the local people are not ripped off the same way you were and will have little sympathy for you if you start stirring things up. As for your "freedom of speech", the government is required to honor that freedom, but your neighbors and the people you do business with are not. Small towns do not take kindly to interlopers arriving in town and trying to "fix" things. If you do, I will almost guarantee you that you will lose.
A sad fact about small towns. The very things that make them attractive and friendly are the very same things that make it difficult for a newcomer to find acceptance.

A person moving into a small town needs to be aware they are "outsiders" and need to adapt and fit in. It does take time, but if one truly wants small town living, it is worth the effort.

First rule of thumb, do not rock the boat until you become a town leader.

Old 08-12-2013, 05:19 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,284,780 times
We got unethical merchants in our town as well....I just make sure anyone I know gets informed...by word of mouth. Not the best, and I seriously did consider more public displays, but I guess I really do hate confrontation...unless it's really really necessary...and it wasn't, so I let that go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy