Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 12:23 AM

1,869 posts, read 1,827,401 times

Advertisements

I am sure many are aware of the Korean Sewol Ferry disaster..

We all know how the captain abandoned the ferry to save his own life, ignoring others..

And there are crew members who fulfiiled their jobs to the very last moment, trying to help as many escape as possible, sacrificing their own lives eventually..

S Korea names three ferry disaster "martyrs" - Channel NewsAsia

The 3 crew members who died on duty have been now labelled as martyr and national heroes..

but what are your thought ?

Die as a national hero , or continue living as a hated villain ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2014, 05:53 AM

93 posts, read 93,654 times
My thoughts towards the captain that abandoned ship while leaving everyone else is... people make mistakes, i just hope they learn from them.

My thoughts towards the crew members that helped as many people as possible is... good job, they have my respect.

Although dieing as a hero is good to me, i have to say that just because you did a villainous act, does not mean you have to continue living as a villain for the rest of your life. redemption is always possible as long as you still live and redemption to me is just as respect worthy as heroism.

Old 05-13-2014, 08:19 AM

2,234 posts, read 3,321,061 times
As the captain of the ship he was responsible for everything that happens on that ship. This seams to be a lost concept. The captain is directly responsible for the accident. He is tha one that put the third mate in charge even though she had no experience.

The captain should never leave the ship/boat until everyone that can be removed safely from the ship is of of the ship and safely on shore. If not he needs to be in jail the rest of his life.

What most people don't understand is that during normal operations the captain is not required. Why the captain is there is to handle emergencies. If the captain leaves during and emergency then they hired the wrong person for the job.

Old 05-20-2014, 03:55 AM

6,977 posts, read 5,708,706 times
National heroes are remembered forever. Will these guys be remembered a few years from now? 100 years from now?

Old 05-20-2014, 05:42 AM

652 posts, read 874,190 times
The Japanese Samurai would say there is great honor in making it a good death. The sun rises in the east and sets in the west.

Old 05-23-2014, 02:28 PM

1,205 posts, read 1,971,513 times
No one really knows what they'll do when the doo hits the fan. Fight or flight. We all like to think we'd be heroic, but until we're tested, it's all conjecture. I've seen plenty of big talkers turn tail and run and guys you think would run, stand and face the music.

Old 05-27-2014, 04:25 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,931,772 times
To be honest.. as bad as it sounds I think I'd probably do everything in my power up until my life was in danger and make sure I live.

Do I think the captain was right? I don't know.. what would you do if you were in a spot where you had the choice of living or dying? I'd have a very hard time choosing death.

Old 06-01-2014, 01:42 PM

6,977 posts, read 5,708,706 times
SO, i was thinking about this the other day....you know, good samaritan stuff where strangers rush to the aid of others who are in need.

Do we really remember these people?

In other words, if i asked you to name ONE "good samaritan", you know, a random person who helped another random person and was a hero for 5 mins on the local news, would you be able to name them?

Or, do 100% of these samiratans just fade off into the sunset after their 15 mins of fame?

Old 06-01-2014, 09:33 PM

774 posts, read 906,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid View Post
SO, i was thinking about this the other day....you know, good samaritan stuff where strangers rush to the aid of others who are in need.

Do we really remember these people?

In other words, if i asked you to name ONE "good samaritan", you know, a random person who helped another random person and was a hero for 5 mins on the local news, would you be able to name them?

Or, do 100% of these samiratans just fade off into the sunset after their 15 mins of fame?
Somebody remembers him (or her)!

Anyway, a good Samaritan or a GOOD good Samaritan isn't helping another person in order to be praised or remembered.

Just because the need was there, the ability to help was there and it was the right thing to do.

Old 06-02-2014, 05:26 PM

19 posts, read 13,897 times
"When we quit thinking primarily about ourselves and our own self-preservation, we undergo a truly heroic transformation of consciousness".

Joseph Campbell
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy