Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2014, 06:53 AM

1,490 posts, read 1,215,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPizza View Post
I think after we die, we become a new person.

Scientific evidence shows we have a spirit. It seems unreal that we can be unconscious forever. So after we die, out spirit moves on to a different body. Because we have a new brain, we completely forget, or know about the life before us. We have no clue we existed before present live. Then, the cycle continues forever. If my theory is correct, it is possible that our spirit existed thousands of years ago, we just don't know it.
Skimmed thru the thread which seems to focus on NDEs but didn't read every post. So will just respond to the OP.

#1) I suspect somebody has asked for the scientific evidence claim of a spirit. If not, I'd love to see this.

#2) Assuming the answer to #1 is that there is no evidence of what would be perhaps the most important finding in the cosmos as we know it...I'll ask for a simple, logical (because there would be no scientific) explanation for how a new spirit is created?

Or in other words...we've been (theoretically) recycling spirits since the beginning of human history (whatever you define that as). So, how did we go from a handful of spirits to billions of spirits? A spirit splitter maybe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2014, 07:15 AM

44 posts, read 30,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Not nonsense if you read some documented cases.

How do you know that? You know what happens after someone dies?

I can do both. Live my life properly but also knowing that my real existence is in the afterlife. After all, what is 70 or 80 years compared to an eternity?
If you're going to live forever then why does the prelude matter?

Any eternal existence is bound to become a hell.

Old 12-15-2014, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
This is so weird. It's not YOU that rots and turns to compost; it's your BODY. The real question here is, are "you" really just "your body"?? Or is that something you leave behind when you don't need it anymore? Seems to me that a "body" is just made up of protein, fat, calcium, other minerals and chemicals. Is this all "you" are?? Really? Think about that. If you think this is true, what makes you any different than the primordial slime that predated us? Nothin', I guess. When you see some slime moving down the street, texting on a smart phone, we will have come full circle.
Can you show me an entity without a body?

Old 12-15-2014, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
does a radio have the "music" inside it?
Take it apart and look.
The radio has an antenna that receives a signal from a transmitter then separates the frequencies and amplifies them. Nothing mystical going on there.

Old 12-15-2014, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofur View Post
That is not true, you are just talking out your as*. There is no neurological explanation for NDE's, no smoking guns, NDE's shouldn't happen based on our understanding of the brain. Dying/dead/re-firing brain activity looks nothing like conscious normal experience, yet people report coherent, stable, hyper-real conscious experience. Huge disconnect there.

Nobody has pinned down the mind in terms of neurological processes. People can't even agree on a definition for the mind, let alone physically pin it down.

Also, ALL experience is ENTIRELY subjective. Colors don't even objectively exist, your mind is creating them. The world "out there" is nothing like how we experience it. A fully lucid dream will help you experience this, since it's exactly the same as being awake (I mean EXACTLY, sun's warmth on your skin, breeze, solid walls, spatial awareness, fully autonomous humans, it's all the same) You need to wake up.
I believe it has been established that if you cut off the head the mind ceases operation so we can tentatively say the head and the mind are one.

Old 12-15-2014, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by certainquirk View Post
Life's nasty, brutish, and short. Appreciate what you've got while you've got it. Ain't no train coming to take you home. Sorry.
We got a train over on Delusion Station comin' to take you home but since home as you knew it is long gone you will have a very long trip.

All Aboard!

Old 12-15-2014, 07:37 AM

75 posts, read 99,148 times
To the OP: If that's the case how do we explain the increase in population? If we just move onto another body after death, shouldn't the number of people that populate earth remain stable? Or does one soul split into several pieces and inhabit more than one body? It doesn't make sense.

NorthWind

Old 12-15-2014, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
To be honest, I really don't think about nor care what happens to me after I die. I guess I'll figure it out once the time comes. You have many people who spend their entire lives worried about this and they miss out on just living and enjoying life while it exists.

They want eternal life but they haven't figured out how to enjoy the one they got.

Old 12-15-2014, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinEden99 View Post
Skimmed thru the thread which seems to focus on NDEs but didn't read every post. So will just respond to the OP.

#1) I suspect somebody has asked for the scientific evidence claim of a spirit. If not, I'd love to see this.

#2) Assuming the answer to #1 is that there is no evidence of what would be perhaps the most important finding in the cosmos as we know it...I'll ask for a simple, logical (because there would be no scientific) explanation for how a new spirit is created?

Or in other words...we've been (theoretically) recycling spirits since the beginning of human history (whatever you define that as). So, how did we go from a handful of spirits to billions of spirits? A spirit splitter maybe?
Either god is busy making new souls or we're all just Adam and Eve replicated millions of times.

Old 12-15-2014, 08:05 AM

1,490 posts, read 1,215,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsig View Post
Either god is busy making new souls or we're all just Adam and Eve replicated millions of times.
I must say this is both convincing and compelling logical explanations for extraordinary claims. Bravo!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy