Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2014, 10:18 AM

214 posts, read 330,114 times

Advertisements

I do. When I think about the billions of people in the world, it's amazing that i will never meet many at all. Even in my own country and area, i only know a handful of people. When visiting a big city and see all the people walking past each other, you realise we're all just strangers and a tiny entity when compared to the rest of the world.

Don't get me wrong, it would most likely be very frustrating and time consuming to know every human on earth. even if a person had 100 friends/acquaintances, that is still a minuscule number of people to know. Whenever i have been on holiday and meet a handful of natives, i always wonder about how many people are living in the further reaches of these countries that are not tourist areas. I never meet them, but i always wonder how it would be to meet those people, for e.g. when i went to west africa and met a couple of native africans and was invited to meet their families, there were so many other areas of the country that i wondered about.

If you think about big cities like L.A, New York, London, Moscow etc, it always fascinates me that you just walk past all these people, other humans, but they are strangers to me that i will never get to know personally.

Does anyone else think this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2014, 10:20 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Does not bother me one bit, I am not all that fond of that much of humanity in the first place so no issues with me if I don't meet most of the world or even most of our little town, hence the reason we live in the country without neighbors.

Old 12-15-2014, 10:24 AM

3,507 posts, read 765,449 times
I`m perfectly happy with my very small circle of friends whom I see two or three times a year ...I`m very uncomfortable around strangers ..

Old 12-15-2014, 12:35 PM

7,728 posts, read 12,624,521 times
I've wondered about the same thing. I just say thank goodness for Heaven because we'll have all of eternity to meet as many people as possible.

Old 12-15-2014, 01:23 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,135,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by California_Aspirer View Post
I do. When I think about the billions of people in the world, it's amazing that i will never meet many at all.

If you think about big cities like L.A, New York, London, Moscow etc, it always fascinates me that you just walk past all these people, other humans, but they are strangers to me that i will never get to know personally.

Does anyone else think this?
I never thought of it that way.

But maybe it's because I prefer to know only those who are my kindred spirits. I don't really see the appeal of interacting with others. Except for a psychological curiosity, to see how differently they respond and react than the ones I am used to.

Interacting with those who are not compatible is difficult and usually involves discomfort and pain (of different types).

So it's a matter of: do you want your life to be pleasant? Then interact only with compatible ones. Do you want your life to be a study of pleasure and pain, all mixed in, probably mostly pain, then interact with everybody.

Old 12-15-2014, 03:34 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times
At my age, the ones I have met are two many.

Old 12-15-2014, 03:54 PM

5,210 posts, read 4,672,866 times
That's why you have sites like this:

Humans of New York

Yes, there are lots of people in the world and most of them have interesting stories to tell.

Old 12-15-2014, 06:39 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,285,135 times
I think about it differently, but somewhat to the OP's point.

I like to people watch. I don't do it to look at people at assume I know anything about them. I'm not judging them on their looks (although a pretty woman might get a double take). I look and realize that here are all these people, and at that moment in time they cross my path. I will never see most of them ever again. I may chat at a bar with someone for a few, but after that, they're gone. Even when a car passes, I just happened to be in their world even for a second.

It is fascinating to me knowing that people move through there lives, constantly intersecting with others.

Old 12-15-2014, 06:40 PM

412 posts, read 545,900 times
It doesn't necessary fascinate me. I do like diversity and coming across different types of people in my life and day, and I sort of like the anonymity that comes with it.

Old 12-15-2014, 06:57 PM

3,959 posts, read 2,574,285 times
Think of all the people you do met but never know. Or think you do know but never well. Or you don't know them as you think you do. So many! This makes the ones we do get to know and care about all the more valuable.

I cherish meeting people here, sharing and caring for people I wouldn't have a chance to ever met in real life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy