Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 05:17 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,734,409 times

Advertisements

As I was walking from my job to the train station today, I got completely overwhelmed and sad almost to the point of crying.

I just don't get what the point of this life is. I work everyday, pay my bills, do chores on the weekends, and then back to work. I am getting NOWHERE.

The place I want to live, I will never, ever be able to afford unless I hit the lottery.

I hate where I live now but places closer to my job and in the type of neighborhood I want are not affordable to me. Sure, I can work another 20 hours a week but do I want to kill myself just to live in a place that I will never see because I'll be working all the time?

I just don't get it. What is the point of all this?? This is not a "life". This is not "living". This is merely an existence. What is the point of "existing" if you cannot have any happiness, joy, or contentment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2015, 05:29 PM

2,183 posts, read 2,640,722 times
Your problem is you are looking for happiness and joy outside of yourself. Getting a big house, fancy car, having a filled up bank account, these things do not bring lasting true happiness/peace. They just do away with money related suffering and introduce a whole new type of suffering.

I'd recommend looking within. What are you, what is the essence of your feeling of "I", of existence? At the most fundamental level, what are YOU.

I will tell you, you are not what you assume yourself to be.

Old 01-20-2015, 05:52 PM

11,380 posts, read 9,298,077 times
This life?

There is no other. This is it, zero evidence to prove otherwise.

No point to life whatsoever. It is very overrated.

Old 01-20-2015, 06:38 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,849,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
As I was walking from my job to the train station today, I got completely overwhelmed and sad almost to the point of crying.

I just don't get what the point of this life is. I work everyday, pay my bills, do chores on the weekends, and then back to work. I am getting NOWHERE.

The place I want to live, I will never, ever be able to afford unless I hit the lottery.

I hate where I live now but places closer to my job and in the type of neighborhood I want are not affordable to me. Sure, I can work another 20 hours a week but do I want to kill myself just to live in a place that I will never see because I'll be working all the time?

I just don't get it. What is the point of all this?? This is not a "life". This is not "living". This is merely an existence. What is the point of "existing" if you cannot have any happiness, joy, or contentment?

At one time or another, everyone has felt as you do now. Even people who were once happy and satisfied find themselves sad due to things beyond their control. Often they're left alone after the death of a loved one, or they simply suffer the vicissitudes of life.

If you really think about it, I bet you'll find you're luckier than most. Life is beautiful but it's not always easy.

Old 01-20-2015, 07:20 PM

818 posts, read 1,018,656 times
The only point really is to try to survive and be who you are meant to be. Try to effect positive change in others even though they may not see it right away. Find yourself and be confident of who you are and not what others think of you. Be the change you would like to see. Enjoy nature's bountiful beauty while you can.

Old 01-20-2015, 07:28 PM

818 posts, read 1,018,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
This life?

There is no other. This is it, zero evidence to prove otherwise.

No point to life whatsoever. It is very overrated.
Nihilism is your philosophy I guess, Nice job cheering someone up. People like you are like problems

Old 01-20-2015, 09:26 PM

12,869 posts, read 9,089,277 times
Quote:

I just don't get it. What is the point of all this??...
To Strive
To Seek
To Find
And Not to Yield.

Old 01-20-2015, 10:13 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,312,174 times
The point of life is to "party on". That is to live and survive to fight another day, until your time comes. To make the most of it and seize every day like it's your last. Feeling the way that you do right now is normal. It's your bodies natural way of telling you to "shake things up" a little bit. Don't try finding happiness on where you live or how much money you make or what you can or can't afford. You'll always lose and never have enough.

Drastic times call for drastic measures. Maybe quit your job and travel the world, move cross country, do something new and crazy, focus on your real passion, realize this is your ONE shot and make the best of it. I have felt this way before. I usually take it as a sign that I need to try harder and really follow my dreams, instead of someone else's.... Good luck to you.

Old 01-21-2015, 01:28 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,381,033 times
Quote:
This can be indicative of a number of things. Depression, malnutrition, obesity, stress, tiredness and much more can be causes and it is worth consulting with a GP and mental health professionals.

It can also be caused by merely not being happy with where your life is or where it is going. A bit of self reflection and mindfulness of your goals in life compared to the current status of your life can be enlightening and useful here.

It is a warning sign, a call to engage in some evaluations. Both personally and with the help of professionals.

Quote:
I just don't get what the point of this life is.
There may not even BE one in the first place to "get". I certainly have seen no reason to think there is one. Rather we each bring our own point to it, which is quite liberating in and of itself. It cuts one free of the bonds of conforming to some perceived external goal or "point" and allows one to forge ones own path on the journey of life.

So rather than questioning what the point of life is..... ask yourself what you would like the point of your life to be if there was a point to life. What "point" to life, were there to be one, would bring you the most peace, satisfaction and joy?

Rather than lament about going nowhere, consider instead where you think you should be going. Sitting on the spot crying that you do not know the way, will not open a way for you. How can one feel anything but directionless, if one does not have a goal? It would be like stopping someone and asking for directions and merely saying "Excuse me, but do you know the way?" and when they say "To where?" you just reply "Just, the way!". They are hardly going to tell you to go down the road and take a right at the first traffic lights are they?

Old 01-21-2015, 01:50 AM

19,029 posts, read 14,234,433 times
There Is No Secret of Life
(From the 1980 mini-series : The Martian Chronicles)
Wilder : What is your secret of life on Mars?
Martian : Tir. This is the planet Tir.
Wilder : Tir, yes.
Martian : Secret? There is no secret. Anyone with eyes can see the way to live.
Wilder : How?
Martian : By watching life. Observing nature and cooperating with it. Making common cause with the process of existence.
Wilder : How?
Martian : By living life for itself, don’t you see. Deriving pleasure from the gift of pure being.
Wilder : The gift of pure being... !
Martian : Life is its own answer. Accept it and enjoy it, day by day. Live as well as possible. Expect no more. Destroy nothing. Humble nothing. Look for fault in nothing. Leave unsullied and untouched all that is beautiful. Hold that which lives - in all reverence. For life is given by the sovereign of our universe: given to be savored, to be luxuriated in, to be - - respected.
But that is no secret. You’re intelligent. You know as well as I what is needed to be done.
Now, I must go. My people are waiting for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy