Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2015, 02:17 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,624,328 times

Advertisements

Bob, if you can't see a value to humanity within your own self, then you will never see it.

But look at the bright side - when you die without doing positive acts, the world as you perceive it dies with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2015, 03:32 PM

334 posts, read 1,102,823 times
While there are lots of uncaring people in the world, many positive unselfish individuals are out there as well, trying to make a difference. Maybe some of these stories will help you:

- HeroicStories
https://www.randomactsofkindness.org/kindness-stories
Random Acts of Kindness
These Awesome 50 Acts Of Kindness Remind You The World Isn't So Bad
Acts of Kindness | KindSpring.org

Old 03-22-2015, 03:35 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob the brave View Post
First it was Santa Claus, then God, now humanity.

I was conned. I believed it all once. I wasn't all that stupid, I just liked the ideas of Santa Claus, immortality in paradise and people who work together, help each other, care about each other to better ourselves and our world. I wanted to believe it all, but I slowly had to give each up as reality proved different.

I could live without SC. I can live without God. The idea was that if we are all we have, we can still work together to make a paradise some day. We are sensient and relatively intelligent and with time we could probably be anything we want. But without heart, without respecting others and other life forms, I don't think it would be worth anything. I won't go into the very, VERY long list of crap I have seen people do, almost everyone. In am not preaching from on high either.

Now I feel if a virus wiped us out or an asteroid hit the planet and mankind became extinct it would be a blessing for the universe. One less threat which may some day taint it's nature far more than we do today.

Can anyone give me an example that proves I am wrong, that restores my faith in man?
I've got a great idea, Bob.

Try seeking out a better brand of people with whom to hang. Works every time. It's not the human race's fault that you associate with its dregs.

Old 03-22-2015, 03:47 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,677,065 times
Why must it be all or nothing for you? A lot of people are scummy, and some are wonderful. It doesn't take much effort to find examples of people who are brave or kind.

I've always been against the idea of Santa Claus, though, which immediately introduces the idea of being deceived by your parents.

Old 03-22-2015, 03:51 PM

1,173 posts, read 2,264,528 times
It's the media you can't believe in since they live by "if it bleeds, it leads."

Alley

Old 03-22-2015, 03:58 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,590,165 times
If all you choose to focus on in life is negativity and the badness in the world, that is all you will ever see. The statement that we create our own reality is very true. I have seen the results myself.

Nothing changes
I change
Everything changes.

No joke. If you want the world to be a better place you have to start with yourself. Become a better you. Be more positive. Make a resolution to find at least one small thing in each day that is good and focus on that. It can be a smell, a thought, the beauty in one moment. Reflect on that and allow yourself to feel joy in that. Don't allow your mind to settle on negative things. It's hard going at first. But if you do it, one day soon, your world will be a better place.

Old 03-22-2015, 07:28 PM

18,727 posts, read 33,396,751 times
I favor noticing the times that people and groups step up in altruism, nobility or courage. I am discouraged by the paucity of these things in the whole world, and do think our species on the whole is a cancer on the planet. As one person said, "When the people are gone, only the dogs will care." That doesn't stop any individual or group from doing the best they can, in part, to stand up to things to give heart to those who are in despair or discouragement about all the bad stuff that truly goes on. I know which side of the law I want to be on!

Old 03-22-2015, 09:29 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,313,002 times
Just know that you're part of the problem too OP. People suck? Yeah well so do you. People who say that tend to mean it in a self righteous way as in "everyone is terrible except me because I'm not like them". Well you are.

Old 03-22-2015, 10:24 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
[quote=bob the brave;38908553]First it was Santa Claus, then God, now humanity.

I was conned. I believed it all once. I wasn't all that stupid, I just liked the ideas of Santa Claus, immortality in paradise and people who work together, help each other, care about each other to better ourselves and our world. I wanted to believe it all, but I slowly had to give each up as reality proved different.

I could live without SC. I can live without God. The idea was that if we are all we have, we can still work together to make a paradise some day. We are sensient and relatively intelligent and with time we could probably be anything we want. But without heart, without respecting others and other life forms, I don't think it would be worth anything. I won't go into the very, VERY long list of crap I have seen people do, almost everyone. In am not preaching from on high either.

Now I feel if a virus wiped us out or an asteroid hit the planet and mankind became extinct it would be a blessing for the universe. One less threat which may some day taint it's nature far more than we do today.

Sounds like your world sucks as you say. Perhaps your make bad choices like anything that does.

Old 03-22-2015, 10:50 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,895,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
people are a plague on the face of the planet.
You watched "The Matrix" too many times and memorized Agent Smith's monologues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy