Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 09:54 AM

30 posts, read 30,016 times

Advertisements

I saw Final destination over the weekend all of the movies made me wonder if some situations like escaping death and cheating his ways of escaping his planned death.
Can you cheat death in real life thou?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2015, 10:04 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,577,622 times
what do ya mean? no fear of it and understanding that the code of life is life. We are but a projection of the universe? yep, its done.

but really its not cheating. That would be like me thinking I cheated a 5yr old out of icecream when I made them eat their veggies.

Old 08-24-2015, 10:06 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,812,975 times
To 'cheat death' is just a metaphor.

Death is not an entity to which anything is owed. Rather, it is just a term that describes the change in state of a biological specimen from alive to being permanently not alive (this excludes those instances of organisms whose biological processes stop, but are then restarted - as in the case of resuscitation).

The 'cheat death' metaphor merely describes a situation when it appeared that one might have died but where death was avoided. No actual cheating is involved.

Old 08-24-2015, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
what do ya mean? no fear of it and understanding that the code of life is life. We are but a projection of the universe? yep, its done.

but really its not cheating. That would be like me thinking I cheated a 5yr old out of icecream when I made them eat their veggies.
Does death always plan for when you will die? Can't you escape it?
I mean if a train almost ran you over or you almost drown and you almost always have been close to dying but never did or escaped it can't you cheat death his own ways?

Old 08-24-2015, 10:28 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,577,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny_Cisco View Post
Does death always plan for when you will die? Can't you escape it?
I mean if a train almost ran you over or you almost drown and you almost always have been close to dying but never did or escaped it can't you cheat death his own ways?
this is a literal interpretation of human life. Then it becomes a numbers games. If 1 in 1 billion times a train hits you; you live. And everybody on the planet gets hits once this year. People will cheat death 7 times this year. so is it cheating?

Its just not that simple. I wish it was; for ignorance is bliss. I just die and end this insanity. But if block time is real, the easiest of "time notions", there is no death or life. Just a big block of universe that we are in the middle of.

Old 08-24-2015, 10:31 AM

7,275 posts, read 5,284,192 times
If you believe in the movie's premise, then you'd have to know your death design. No one knows, so I don't think any cheating of death exists. Ever seen a horrible car accident right in front of you and wondered if you hadn't stopped at the previous light that could be you? Some may consider that cheating death, but I consider part of whatever my life's master plan is. I will go whenever I go, whether it be from old age, an illness, an accident - can't cheat that.

Old 08-24-2015, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
If you believe in the movie's premise, then you'd have to know your death design. No one knows, so I don't think any cheating of death exists. Ever seen a horrible car accident right in front of you and wondered if you hadn't stopped at the previous light that could be you? Some may consider that cheating death, but I consider part of whatever my life's master plan is. I will go whenever I go, whether it be from old age, an illness, an accident - can't cheat that.
Growing old or having an illness I don't consider that cheating death thou I know at some point we all have to die its not like we can be immortal.
Accidents happen everyday I would think if people had it coming and barely escaped that could be considered cheating death
How do we know when we will die we don't know i don't know if its all that some people are just plain mean to be alive and not alive? So If I saved someone from death does death have a divine plan for me and will come back for me or who is responsible who know who's time is up?

Old 08-24-2015, 11:59 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,813,426 times
I don't think we'll ever "cheat death"... even if we become so technologically advanced that we could make death "optional", the conscious mind will eventually tire of living and choose to die.

I've never known any elderly person who by their 80s or 90s wasn't tired of life and ready to go. Forever is a LOOONG time... I don't think present human consciousness really gets that and would be surprised if our conscious minds could retain sanity even in a perfectly healthy body for more than a couple hundred years.

Old 08-24-2015, 12:52 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,368,360 times
Lets see if I can remember this right, and communicate it properly.....Theres a theory that because it requires observation to occur, and the many worlds theory allows you to move forward on multiple universes based upon that.....That your consciousness will always continue in the universe where, no matter how improbable, you continue. Everyone you know dies, and no matter the horror that your life becomes....you continue on.

So...cheating death may not be a desirable outcome.

Old 08-24-2015, 12:56 PM

19,027 posts, read 27,592,838 times
You can. To a certain extent though. You can escape your destiny, but destiny is there on purpose. Hence, escaping, or "cheating" destiny - death is only one stage of ones destiny - results in cumulative effect. This may result - in case of the topic discussed - in relatively much worse death, than one that was escaped. Just like anything else. You chicken out of what life puts at you - as the result of your thoughts anyway - it'll hit you hard and furious then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy