Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 03:43 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,548,906 times

Advertisements

At the risk of sounding silly or foolish, I just have to ask this question.

Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2012, 03:49 PM

91 posts, read 296,631 times
If you follow the studies from those who contributed to The Secret (including the omitted Esther (Abraham) Hicks), we can control our thoughts, but not our emotions. Our thoughts set the pattern/pathway to what we attract and our emotions are the barometer whether what we are attracting is good or bad (or better said - what we want or dont want).

Old 02-10-2012, 04:27 PM

3,402 posts, read 2,789,447 times
I think we are controlled by our thoughts more than we think we are, maybe even more than we control them.

I am (very slowly) reading a book called Thinking: Fast and Slow that deals with this. The book make the point that there are a great many things that radically influence our behavior, but that are totally unconscious. One example was they found that people who were looking at currency (a screen saver of money, for example) were less likely to act in altruistic ways (help someone pick us something they dropped, etc...). There is so much that goes on in our heads and bodies that really push our behavior and conscious decision making in specific directions, that I find it hard to believe that we have that much control over our own mind.

NoCapo

Old 02-10-2012, 04:55 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,741,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCapo View Post
I think we are controlled by our thoughts more than we think we are, maybe even more than we control them.

I am (very slowly) reading a book called Thinking: Fast and Slow that deals with this. The book make the point that there are a great many things that radically influence our behavior, but that are totally unconscious. One example was they found that people who were looking at currency (a screen saver of money, for example) were less likely to act in altruistic ways (help someone pick us something they dropped, etc...). There is so much that goes on in our heads and bodies that really push our behavior and conscious decision making in specific directions, that I find it hard to believe that we have that much control over our own mind.

NoCapo
Puts a bit of a damper on the free will theory doesn't it

Old 02-10-2012, 05:02 PM

3,402 posts, read 2,789,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
Puts a bit of a damper on the free will theory doesn't it
Well it certainly shows why it is so hard for us to behave rationally! Doesn't me we should give up, but it does explain a lot.

NoCapo

Old 02-10-2012, 05:10 PM

9,690 posts, read 10,020,758 times
In discernment of Holy Spirit were is one type of demons cognitive disruptor's who will try to bring confusion to people and give ideas that will manipulate men ... See these demon spirit can read our thoughts and give us thoughts that we need to reject or accept , but it is best to reject evil thoughts as stress can affect people health .... See these demons are real and not an conjuncture of ideas , but can be resisted by ignoring bad ideas and even getting proper nutrition, and also through Lord Jesus prayer of His blood judgment will remove these demons disruptor's ... So If we let out thoughts control us , this will leave us under the authority of demonic activities ........

Old 02-10-2012, 05:14 PM

1,261 posts, read 2,146,755 times
Do you have direct control over any particular part of your brain? Over individual neurons? Over the flow of neurotransmitters between synapses? Over the chemical reactions that create and destroy specific neurotransmitter chemicals? No, no, no, and certainly no. All of this happens automatically, as does everything in your body. If you can't control any of these things, I see no reason to think you would be in control of your own thoughts, or that there is even such a thing as a "you" that is separate from the neurochemical functioning of "your" brain.

To answer the question, "you" are under the control of an automatic biological computational device (I hate to say "computer" because it is very different from a computer in many important ways) which will quite happily continue going about its business regardless of what the awareness it is generating wants or notices.

Last edited by Lunar Delta; 02-10-2012 at 05:23 PM..

Old 02-10-2012, 05:18 PM

322 posts, read 317,111 times
our mind is a tool for us to use while here in this body
our heart should be leading the way, but the mind is where doubt is born and sometimes if we are not present and aware .. out mind can trick us into believing what it tells us, instead of listening to what our heart says. limiting us to conditions and lack. if we practice long enuff listening to our thoughts and seeing how they affect our feelings.. we will quikly be motivated to change our conditioning and free our minds.

we are not our thoughts. we are not the mind.. we are something beyond all of these things.. but we need to use our minds and attract Good thoughts so that we have good feelings and then good actions

Listen and watch your thoughts and u will see for yourself

Old 02-10-2012, 07:51 PM

Next question.

If we aren't in control of our thoughts. Then why do we get mad at other people who also are not in control of their thoughts?

Sorry if this seems like trolling, or any other negative manipulative thing that it might be construed to be. I am kind of just thinking aloud (in type) with all of you to help me along.

Old 02-10-2012, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suluki11 View Post
If you follow the studies from those who contributed to The Secret (including the omitted Esther (Abraham) Hicks), we can control our thoughts, but not our emotions. Our thoughts set the pattern/pathway to what we attract and our emotions are the barometer whether what we are attracting is good or bad (or better said - what we want or dont want).

I kind of tend to believe the opposite. I think we can be more in control of our emotions (or at least our outward display of emotions) more than we are in control of our thoughts.

That being said, there are times when I believe we can control our thoughts, then there are times when I really don't know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy