Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 08:38 PM

297 posts, read 276,958 times

Advertisements

vote on my poll
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2016, 11:35 AM

19,013 posts, read 27,569,699 times
No poll to start with.
Yes, not in this particular era. Don't fit too well.

Old 04-28-2016, 01:23 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,809,071 times
I'm not sure I can wish something that is a confusing concept to grasp. What it would be like to not be born? I guess I suppose it will be pleasant to not be born in the fact you don't have to fear your passing.

I just wish I was born as someone else..maybe someone with musical talent and the capacity to love attention when necessary or just good at more things.

Old 04-28-2016, 08:03 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,498,910 times
OP, what is your real question? Are you in pain and need a sympathetic ear? A shoulder to cry on? Some friendly advice? What do you really need?

We all know that someone will answer "yes." That's a given.

Old 04-28-2016, 08:57 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,227,249 times
Me.
I've thought that often, that if I had the choice I wouldn't choose to be born. People usually think that's crazy so I don't say that out loud much.
Life is too damn hard. And scary. Yes it has some good parts. But the majority of people experience some sort of pain, suffering, or tragedy in their lives which to me makes it not worth it. I never got life for life's sakes or survival just to survive. To me, life is only worth living if it's good. But most of the time it's like a giant video game - you just pray you can make it to the other side without anything horrible happening to you - illness, disaster, losing loved ones. I don't know how people can keep the will to live in the face of cancer, disability, homelessness, losing a child, losing everything you have in a natural disaster and having to start over with nothing, losing family members in an accident... to me all those scenarios are so terrifying I sometimes wish I could just be on my deathbed already so I don't need to worry about it any more

Old 04-29-2016, 11:18 AM

19,013 posts, read 27,569,699 times
Well, EC, there is saying in Bible - Thou that I love, thou do I punish.
The more suffering you have, the faster you learn and progress. As that is the real reason you are here - to learn and develop. There is no pain, suffering, accidents - only education.
That said, there is no one to blame either. No outside forces, or gods, or fate, or else.
We, all of us here, made our own free will choice to regress and "try the goodies". Now, each one of us has to pay for that decision. So suck it up and take it bravely.

Old 04-29-2016, 12:36 PM

2,209 posts, read 2,316,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
OP, what is your real question? Are you in pain and need a sympathetic ear? A shoulder to cry on? Some friendly advice? What do you really need?

We all know that someone will answer "yes." That's a given.
Maybe OP is just curious? Or maybe depressed? Or maybe a hodgepodge of different things.

Yes, I often wish I were not born. Life is neither good nor bad -- it just is. But simply being alive and conscious brings with it a whole host of potential problems and stressors. We are not just born and then handed the keys to this giant fun house called life. We are forced to do many things to survive: go to school, work, toil, endure, etc. We have to enslave ourselves to a job for large portions of our lives just to ensure we have the basic necessities of life. We are not really free. We exist in a giant bubble of restriction with small pockets of freedom at the micro level. But we are all slaves in some way. Plus, we have the brain power and development to ponder our existence and mortality, which can cause it's own set of problems.

Overall, I think life is overrated. I think we as humans are obligated to overestimate the quality of our lives just to keep ourselves sane and functional.

Old 04-29-2016, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Well, EC, there is saying in Bible - Thou that I love, thou do I punish.
The more suffering you have, the faster you learn and progress. As that is the real reason you are here - to learn and develop. There is no pain, suffering, accidents - only education.
That said, there is no one to blame either. No outside forces, or gods, or fate, or else.
We, all of us here, made our own free will choice to regress and "try the goodies". Now, each one of us has to pay for that decision. So suck it up and take it bravely.
None of us asked to be born. We are all here because someone else brought us here. So, to me, each one of us has a right to feel angry about being forced into existence and being forced to play this game called life. Saying that suffering is what helps us grow and that we have nobody to blame for our lives but ourselves is massively shortsighted and disingenuous in my opinion. None of us would be suffering or struggling or dealing with any other life problem if we had not been brought here in the first place. Any suffering was made possible by our parents, who brought us here. You can't suffer if you don't exist. The pro-existence people often overlook that one inconvenient fact.

Which is why I say that bringing a child into this world is one of the most selfish things a couple could do. Forcing existence onto someone is a monumental undertaking with a boat load of potential ramifications for the child. And I doubt parents have kids for any other reason other than to experience the joys of parenthood, which has nothing to do with the child.

Just my personal take.

Old 04-29-2016, 01:06 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,555,912 times
Man you sure don't see self-sorry whiny dogs or cats or other life forms bitchin' and complaining like this.

The very notion of being able to "choose" to not exist before you exist presupposes the "you".
There is no you before you exist. It comes down to existence or non-existence. But non-existing is easy for a human to achieve. The reason even the most-chronic complainers and immature arm-crossing perpetually disappointed loonies don't off themselves is because they still value life more than non-existence.

Old 04-29-2016, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Man you sure don't see self-sorry whiny dogs or cats or other life forms bitchin' and complaining like this.

The very notion of being able to "choose" to not exist before you exist presupposes the "you".
There is no you before you exist. It comes down to existence or non-existence. But non-existing is easy for a human to achieve. The reason even the most-chronic complainers and immature arm-crossing perpetually disappointed loonies don't off themselves is because they still value life more than non-existence.
But cats and dogs don't have the brain power to ponder self and existence. Which is why I think life as a dog or cat would be awesome, provided my owners were animal-loving, caring people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy