Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2016, 10:22 AM

90 posts, read 125,453 times

Advertisements

Anyone who has ever killed himself.
The kamikaze pilots , anyone who killed himself, knowing that you are going to be dead forever in a few moments( I don't believe in life after death ) .
How , how ?!?!?!?!
I just can't and will never understand it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2016, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvpix1212 View Post
The kamikaze pilots , anyone who killed himself, knowing that you are going to be dead forever in a few moments( I don't believe in life after death ) .
How , how ?!?!?!?!
Even a damn cackroach will run and try to save his life if you try to chase him.

I don't understand how this people had the courage to override the fear of death I really don't.
Maybe because I am a coward I don't know , but it just I don't understand how someone can muster the courage to override that fear of death and kill himself.
Maybe this people are somehow gentically less afraid of death I don't know.

Now death by gunshot , still requires courage but as you can die in an instant , is somewhat different , although it still requires great courage.
But death by jumping from a building or by hanging or by stabbing that all take time to die , require crazy amount of courage in my opinion.

Old 07-21-2016, 03:25 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,458,170 times
Courage?

hmmm....

I think it's the conviction that supercedes rationale that allows someone to subscribe to suicide bombing or kamikaze style warfare.

One could say they are self less ... Yet I waiver on them having a superior mentality in their conviction... A deep one at that.

Old 07-21-2016, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Courage?

hmmm....

I think it's the conviction that supercedes rationale that allows someone to subscribe to suicide bombing or kamikaze style warfare.

One could say they are self less ... Yet I waiver on them having a superior mentality in their conviction... A deep one at that.
I am not just talking about people from an army or a certain military group like the kamikaze pilots or suicide bombers that are obviously motivated by ideology.
Although that of course requires courage as well.
I just gave them as an example.

I am talking about regular people who kill themselves.

Last edited by Mvpix1212; 07-21-2016 at 03:57 PM..

Old 07-21-2016, 08:14 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,046,521 times
Quote:
( I don't believe in life after death ) .
Well for those that do, the alternative to living might be more appealing.

Old 07-21-2016, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Well for those that do, the alternative to living might be more appealing.
Even people who do believe in an afterlife, I don't understand how they have the courage to actually go ahead and do it.

And surely of all the human beings who have ever killed themselves, from the first human who killed himself probably tens of thousands of years ago, some did not believe in an afterlife, but still had the courage to kill themselves.

Old 07-22-2016, 07:52 AM

How do they have the courage to kill themselves?!? how I don't understand how ?!??.

I am so afraid of death and dying.

Old 07-22-2016, 12:59 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,046,521 times
Quote:
How do they have the courage to kill themselves?!? how I don't understand how ?!??.

I am so afraid of death and dying.
What if you had an incurable disease with constant excruciating pain that painkillers couldn't relieve? Or you were put into a prison for life in a dictatorship country and gang-raped and beaten continually?

It doesn't take courage, it is a way out from suffering for some people.

Old 07-22-2016, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
What if you had an incurable disease with constant excruciating pain that painkillers couldn't relieve? Or you were put into a prison for life in a dictatorship country and gang-raped and beaten continually?

It doesn't take courage, it is a way out from suffering for some people.
I understand what your saying but it still takes crazy amount of courage in my opinion.
Because when I contemplate death it's so scary to me.

Old 07-23-2016, 01:38 AM

3,440 posts, read 2,646,691 times
Quote:
How , how ?!?!?!?!
1. All humans has the inbuilt drive to survive at all costs at least till the inevitable, reproduce and therefrom to preserve the species.

2. One of the elements to facilitate 1 is the fear emotion and the critical terrible fear of death. If humans do not have a fears and fear of death, they will be reckless then 1 cannot be achieved, thus extinction of the species.

3. The problem with 2 [fears and fear of death] is it can be a counter [paralyzed with anxieties] to reproduction and all other activities that support being alive.

4. To resolve the dilemma emerging from 1, 2 and 3, all humans has evolved with a program that inhibit the fear of death impulses and suppressed it to be a back-burner, active but not brought strongly to one awareness all the time. As a back-burner the fears and fears of death are brought to consciousness and activated where necessary and instinctively. It will also manifest subliminal and is active within the subconscious level and results in anxieties, paranoia, despairs, hopelessness, etc.

5. In the above case, when one think about death, it automatically trigger the fear emotions but this is quickly inhibited if the inhibitors in program-that-inhibit the fears of death is strongis strong. This is why most people never think of death all the time. Even if someone think about it the instinctual inhibitors will quickly dampen the impulse in most normal situations so that one can focus on living life to reproduce and preserve the species.

6. If the inhibitors in the program-that-inhibit the fears of death is weakened due to the various reasons, then the natural embedded terrible fears of death will slip through the inhibitors/dampeners and it will trigger the emotional circuits of fears and fears of death. This fear will vary with the degree of weakness of the inhibitors.

7. The extreme of the weakness of the inhibitors in program-that-inhibit the fears of death will result in the psychiatric problem Thanatophobia. This problem will warrant psychiatric attention.

Quote:
Death anxiety is the morbid, abnormal, or persistent fear of one's own mortality. One source defines death anxiety as a "feeling of dread, apprehension or solicitude (anxiety) when one thinks of the process of dying, or ceasing to ‘be’".[1] It is also referred to as thanatophobia (fear of death). wiki
Quote:
Thanatophobia is the fear of death. The word is originated from the Greek thanatos, meaning "death", and phobos, meaning "fear". It is normal for people to be afraid of death, since everybody will die eventually, but people suffering from thanatophobia may be excessively afraid and have excessive thoughts about death. They may overwhelmingly get scared when encountering a trivial accident or when getting sick. Sufferers may be afraid that someone may attack them as well. Traumatic experience in the past is the common cause of thanatophobia, like witnessing a tragic accident in which the victim died, or narrowly escaping a deadly situation like an accident. wikia
8. For those who have problems with the weakening and loosening of their inhibitors in program-that-inhibit the fears of death in various degrees[not as serious as thanatophobia] they will have to strengthen these inhibitors via self-improvement programs.
The other ways are to resort to indirect means by bringing in additions suppressors or deflectors, such as religions [theistic being the most effective], drugs, addictions and other compulsive disorders, keep occupied with various interest or problems, etc.

9. Those who kill themselves [as if daring] is because the inhibitors in program-that-inhibit the fears of death is frozen stiff by some triggers from within or from external and influence from other sub-routines.

In the case of the Islamist Jihadists the rewards of eternal life via serving Allah is so great that it send additional triggers to activate the program-that-inhibit the fear of death and thus they are able to act on the strategy, die for Allah = eternal life plus extraordinary rewards, virgins etc.

In other cases of suicide or altruism the same applies, i.e. the additional triggers activate the program-that-inhibit the fear of death and they carry out the following tasks [rational to them] that lead to their death.

Last edited by Continuum; 07-23-2016 at 01:58 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy