Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 09:58 PM

9,375 posts, read 6,980,084 times

Advertisements

Im a huge fan of pre-christian Rome specifically the republic period. Before Judeochristianity man has always fought with the need for religion. A greater purpose a greater meaning a divine entity. But those religions were not interconnected with the everyday man's actions to support an eternal soul. They were more limited and served as bolt on aspects to their culture and not something that defined culture the way Christian Jews and Muslims have adapted to.

To me Christianity seems like the perfect weapon developed by a people to counteract Rome's unbeatable expansion. Rome was great at conquering, enslaving, and taxing a society and using the fear of pain and death to leverage their interests. Christianity was a way of breaking the fear of death and the lash. To give eternal soul redemption in exchange for certain morality behaviors was the way to break the bonds of slavery. What could the ceasars do to a people that would voluntarily submit themselves to lion lunch in the name of a god.

Even today Islam is bastardized and used as a difficult weapon to combat a modern Rome. Just as Christianity was used in the crusades under the guise of Christ to obtain middleastern riches. Anyway just a few random thoughts I've had that I wanted to jot down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2017, 06:57 PM

19,036 posts, read 27,607,234 times
Before Judeochristianity man has always fought with the need for religion.

Where did you get this idea from? Man ALWAYS had inclination towards a superior something, whatever the name is. Mof, man ALWAYS had guidance from The Wise Men as knowledge of the Truth should always be with humanity.
Add to this those who became enlightened.
And waaaaaayy before all this, there was one humanity and one "religion" as it was not really a religion, but faith, or knowledge. Do your homework, read on primordial religion. I did, you can too.

Old 01-06-2017, 08:02 PM

76 posts, read 41,523 times
Its a way of explaining the true self to the laity
alot of people misunderstand the teachings of Christ
He used the parables to make the kingdom of GOD as well as certain virtues easy for ordinary people to understand
with a kind of creative poetry that contained mnemonic devices.

a portion from Matthew 13:11 - He replied, “The knowledge of the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven has been given to you, but not to them."
this implies an esoteric knowledge which requires much thought and analysis such that may be overwhelming to the unlearned and the laymen
Christ was the Autogenes whom begat itself to become the divine Logos
the statement I am that I am for Christ is that which was and already came
as it were the alpha the omega the beginning and the end
the understanding of proverbial life, a child`s perpetuation.

John 1:1 - In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with GOD, and the Word was GOD.
the Logos was this Word to reason with the all.

John 1:10 - He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not.
paradoxically representing the ineffable with the tangible between man and GOD
this is truly a blessed conception indeed the greatest creation of Thoth inscribed insight and there was light expounded.

Old 01-06-2017, 09:44 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,769,652 times
Religion is man's greatest creation and Christianity is one implementation of that invention.

Religion shares one attribute with political entities - it is a means to control people. Rome used laws, while religion uses a moral framework. But both want to tell people what to do and how to live. In that sense you are right - Rome and Christianity competed for the hearts and soles of the people so they competed with each other.

But that being said, I don't see that Christianity was created specifically to counter the influence of Rome. It was more to counter the control of the corrupt Jewish temples.

Throughout history there have been 100's if not 1000's of these little grass roots religions. It was only a matter of time before one of them spread like wildfire. The religion of Christ happened to be that. Yeah, he had a great and timeless message but it was really a matter of being in the right place at the right time and having some good marketing with Peter, Paul and others that made Christianity what it is today. Whether you are a Christian or not, it is an amazing turn of events.

Old 01-07-2017, 09:25 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,190,517 times
It wouldn't make my top 500.

Old 01-07-2017, 09:39 AM

7,595 posts, read 6,089,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
It wouldn't make my top 500.
Mine Either

Let's see: Christianity is a system whereby a person gives up all self-empowerment to a mythical god AKA the "Sky Daddy" who requires a blood sacrifice from humans to accept them, it offers a boogeyman AKA "The Devil" Who will constantly tempt man to be himself, thus negating even further the need for personal responsibility. Then as far as social loafing, it teaches that we as humans need do nothing because any day now the great god will come from the sky, and make everything on earth a paradise. so no need to help each other.
Along those lines no need to even improve or further oneself in life, because our life on earth does not matter, it is our life in the afterlife which matters.......so no need to be a decent human, god doesn't care as long as you pay lip service to him

Christianity a great philosophy? no way.
All one has in life to look forward to is death, allow themselves to be miserable in life, no need to take any responsibility for ones life because one can blame the devil for any failure, and conversely, if one does succeed at anything, then he must thank god for it, but remember that god doesn't even approve of earthly success

That is not getting into the personality profile of the god of the religion, or the mental illnesses of the founders, or the contrived mythology......

Perhaps psychology is man's greatest invention? Or at least a better one than Christianity.

I think that Rome would have failed anyway, because of greed, complacency and the fact that the system could no longer support the growth and maintenance....all risks and issues with such a government and empire. The Rise of Christianity was coincidental and just as likely we could all be celebrating Mirthism (which in many aspects we are) to this day !

Old 01-07-2017, 10:08 AM

1,100 posts, read 796,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
Im a huge fan of pre-christian Rome specifically the republic period. Before Judeochristianity man has always fought with the need for religion. A greater purpose a greater meaning a divine entity. But those religions were not interconnected with the everyday man's actions to support an eternal soul. They were more limited and served as bolt on aspects to their culture and not something that defined culture the way Christian Jews and Muslims have adapted to.

To me Christianity seems like the perfect weapon developed by a people to counteract Rome's unbeatable expansion. Rome was great at conquering, enslaving, and taxing a society and using the fear of pain and death to leverage their interests. Christianity was a way of breaking the fear of death and the lash. To give eternal soul redemption in exchange for certain morality behaviors was the way to break the bonds of slavery. What could the ceasars do to a people that would voluntarily submit themselves to lion lunch in the name of a god.

Even today Islam is bastardized and used as a difficult weapon to combat a modern Rome. Just as Christianity was used in the crusades under the guise of Christ to obtain middleastern riches. Anyway just a few random thoughts I've had that I wanted to jot down.
Are you trying to share a random thought that christianity was created to break the bonds of slavery & thereby counteract Rome's unbeatable expansion, if so then the apostle Paul & even Peter somehow missed that message or intent since their writings do seem quite contrary towards this random thought.

Romans 13:1Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God: the powers that be are ordained of God. 2 Whosoever therefore resisteth the power, resisteth the ordinance of God: and they that resist shall receive to themselves damnation.3 For rulers are not a terror to good works, but to the evil. Wilt thou then not be afraid of the power? do that which is good, and thou shalt have praise of the same:4 For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil.5 Wherefore ye must needs be subject, not only for wrath, but also for conscience sake.6 For for this cause pay ye tribute also: for they are God's ministers, attending continually upon this very thing.7 Render therefore to all their dues: tribute to whom tribute is due; custom to whom custom; fear to whom fear; honour to whom honour.

1 Peter 2:17 Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the king.18 Servants, be subject to your masters with all fear; not only to the good and gentle, but also to the froward.19 For this is thankworthy, if a man for conscience toward God endure grief, suffering wrongfully.20 For what glory is it, if, when ye be buffeted for your faults, ye shall take it patiently? but if, when ye do well, and suffer for it, ye take it patiently, this is acceptable with God.21 For even hereunto were ye called: because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that ye should follow his steps:22 Who did no sin, neither was guile found in his mouth:23 Who, when he was reviled, reviled not again; when he suffered, he threatened not; but committed himself to him that judgeth righteously:24 Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.25 For ye were as sheep going astray; but are now returned unto the Shepherd and Bishop of your souls.

Seems like they were hardly challenging those in authority nor were they trying to end slavery, but exhort slaves to do good as unto the Lord and not being eyepleasers; that means doing good for their masters even though no one else is looking which also includes not doing evil when no one is looking.

Ephesians 6:8Knowing that whatsoever good thing any man doeth, the same shall he receive of the Lord, whether he be bond or free.

Colossians 3:11Where there is neither Greek nor Jew, circumcision nor uncircumcision, Barbarian, Scythian, bond nor free: but Christ is all, and in all.

Hebrews 12:3 Remember them that are in bonds, as bound with them; and them which suffer adversity, as being yourselves also in the body.

Ephesians 6:5 Servants, be obedient to them that are your masters according to the flesh, with fear and trembling, in singleness of your heart, as unto Christ;6 Not with eyeservice, as menpleasers; but as the servants of Christ, doing the will of God from the heart;

Colossians 3:22Servants, obey in all things your masters according to the flesh; not with eyeservice, as menpleasers; but in singleness of heart, fearing God;

1 Timothy 6:1Let as many servants as are under the yoke count their own masters worthy of all honour, that the name of God and his doctrine be not blasphemed.

Titus 2:9Exhort servants to be obedient unto their own masters, and to please them well in all things; not answering again;

Old 01-07-2017, 10:13 AM

7,595 posts, read 6,089,079 times
It seems that in order to be Christian as in a "true Christian" one must first admit one's general shortcomings/failures in life. Without such, there is no need for a "savior" to come to the rescue. A person who holds self actualization does not need a savior.
But the system causes people to think "Oh I am a worm a failure not worthy of God's love. Save me Jesus"
Such thinking leads to self loathing, self hatred, low self esteem
It is impossible for one who hates oneself to love others, or have a true vested interest in the welfare or well-being of another. This is why so many Christians are perceived as judgmental/hateful people. They secretly loath and despise themselves and others. The very core of the philosophy is self-hatred.

And no, I would not place any philosophy or idea which bases itself on self-worthlessness as being worthy the title "great creation"

Old 01-07-2017, 11:08 AM

2,411 posts, read 1,976,514 times
It seems you assume that Christianity was created by man (per your subject line). I always thought that it was 'created' by the creator, who apparently was not a man, despite the fact that he/she/it is often depicted as such, and despite the fact that Christ supposedly did come to earth in human form for a while.

If you mean just the word Christianity then yes, I suppose that was probably 'invented' by man, but, I don't think any particular word could be our greatest invention/achievement. If you mean just listening to our innate consciences and doing the 'right thing', even though the right things may appear to be in line with what apparently Christ preached and the tablets that Moses found, again I don't think we 'invented' that.

If you mean a religious order that purports to follow the teachings of Christ, we did apparently invent many of those but there does also seem to be some disagreement there between different sects about what even constitutes the teachings of Christ, what is the most important etc. and how we use those in our lives today. Since man is interpreting things here, and men have different perspectives and opinions, which one is 'right'? And it seems that not many really follow those teachings 'religiously' anyway though they may attend a 'church' every Sunday. If we did invent that, it doesn't seem to be a particularly useful 'invention' any more in today's corrupt world. It seems to me that our 'greatest achievement' should stand the test of time and right now doesn't seem to be a good time to measure that if you are measuring the influence of Christianity.

Old 01-07-2017, 02:40 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,164,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
Religion is man's greatest creation
You sure ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy