Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2018, 07:56 AM

510 posts, read 449,057 times

Advertisements

Everyone should help each other;then, no need to compete. The problem with society is that we reward the smartest, strongest, most outgoing but do very little to help the “under privileged”. Seems that EGO’s rule and competition is never ending.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2018, 08:43 AM

1,748 posts, read 1,296,640 times
I think as society gets more and more competitive, the number of people feeling more and more hopeless will increased. Hope and competition are not the best combination.

Old 04-25-2018, 12:00 PM

102,213 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano700 View Post
After all, competition is what gets people to motivate and critically think for themselves it seems. Sure you could work on improving other areas of life, but I think competition is the biggest one. Is the biggest rewarding activity yet, we compete for stuff so it makes sense.
It does? I've never heard that before. Your motive for thinking critically and analytically normally comes from the need to made sense of your world, and to manage life. The inherent desire to learn and grow provides plenty of motive. I suppose some people don't have that desire, nor do they have the desire to compete.

But there are many cultures around the world that stress co-operation, rather than competition; were you aware of that? Competition is a learned perspective. Valuing competition needs to be inculcated; it doesn't occur naturally, usually. And there are plenty of people in our society that curse its competitive nature, and opt out of that mentality.

Old 04-26-2018, 01:53 AM

3,055 posts, read 2,928,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Only people who live to compete put all their eggs in that basket, and make that the king of their values. I see more hopeless in competitive societies because it's everyone for themselves, even dog-eat-dog. If you can't "win" at the competition, you're inevitably the "loser". That leads to hopelessness.

Collectivist cultures value working together and unity. Those cultures stay around much longer, and seem more content, happy, and fulfilled.
Yes, I really can't stand competition. Perhaps ambition in the sense of working toward something is a more appropriate description for societally healthy motivation? I've found a lot of my hopefulness in this world i.e. motivation to get up and do things in the morning, comes from having a goal to work toward (like buying a house, starting my garden business, things like that).

I guess it can be seen in a way as competition because we're all competing for limited resources, but when I think of competition I think of it as purposefully striving to outdo someone in some sort of activity (like having a better career or better lifestyle than other people). That stuff I really hate. I'd rather see people working together to help one another than trying to outdo each other. It always makes me sad and frustrated to see people struggling, especially like if they lose their jobs or something (in our wealthy society it is so frustrating to me when I hear that people can't find a job, like with older people usually. I don't mean like a job should be a right, if you're incompetent/lazy okay that's your choice; but a normally ambitious, healthy person who has a good work ethic should always be able to find work in this society no matter how old. But I'm getting off on a side rant. Sorry).

Old 05-17-2018, 12:15 AM

3,255 posts, read 1,721,076 times
I just did my presentation on Monday and I must say it went great.

Old 05-24-2018, 07:20 PM

518 posts, read 398,417 times
Quote:
I just did my presentation on Monday and I must say it went great.
Does this mean that this topic was just an experiment to find out how people react to a provokative question?

Old 05-28-2018, 07:18 AM

1,034 posts, read 1,399,139 times
To me competition does not get sense, cos l am without competitors.
Take a look to my motto...am the best in town

Old 06-03-2018, 04:15 AM

7,592 posts, read 4,163,667 times
Quote:
But even for a social life you need to have competition to bring your status up. Especially for the marginalized, the socially akward and the disabled.
What they lack are options. They can't see past the competition to know that is not the only possible outcome. I think that is where the hopelessness comes from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy