Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2016, 07:56 PM

2,652 posts, read 8,595,845 times

Advertisements

You always hear people saying there is always room to improve, get better, do more, be more efficient, etc. Here's a philosophical question; is it possible? Do we at some point cap the possibility of improvement. This meant from a completely individual perspective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2016, 09:09 AM

3,004 posts, read 6,291,888 times
A very interesting question.

Yes, I think it is possible. Though I think like most things, the deeper you go in the understanding of a topic, subject, hobby, the harder it is to improve.

For example there are scientists who are on the brink of curing things like cancer. They are failing constantly, but also making tiny strides to combat the disease.

On the other hand there are more subjective/creative pursuits. What does it mean to be a better songwriter? Popularity is one measure, though some would say it's about the craft; creating more detailed scenes, better more lush instrumentation, or perhaps not.

Physically we can get better, have faster reaction times, jump higher. And yes there are limits. But look at someone like Kobe Bryant, or the best at any sport. Even though Kobe had some debilitating injury, he's come back, not necessarily better but better relative to his current context. Skillwise 1 on 1 he's probably among the best in the game...he just can't do it for 82 games + anymore.

So to answer the question, I think there are mini-victories towards the end of the life of a hobby/skill and there are then lateral moves that would broaden a skill to make it more versatile. All of which I would consider an improvement. Conversely if we hit a snag or face a setback, that can teach us to move laterally or to reinvent or refocus a skill, which is also improvement.

The main key is motivation and work. The classic parable of continuing improving in the face of not only adversity, but just life in general. And I think that most that would agree that improvement is always possible, have that sort of drive.

There's the numerical/theoretical limit, then there's the human limit. And even with theoretical limits, humans still try to find ways around them.

Old 04-13-2016, 01:59 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,559,975 times
In most things for most people, the answer is yes.

Old 04-13-2016, 02:15 PM

19,142 posts, read 27,774,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke9686 View Post
always room to improve, get better, do more, be more efficient, etc.

No. This is standard masters bs to make slaves work harder and for less. Slaves, not aware of their slaveship, gladly take upon this slogan and drive themselves into death, while masters chuckle in the couloirs.
You have some and many jobs that can not be improved. Yopu have some and many functions that can not be performed. You have some and many limitations due to being a human and more coming with age. There are limits to what one can do, learn, memorize, perform both mentally and physically. Yes, I know. Watch more movies like Lucy to "see the possibility". With "possibilkity" and "opportunity" being another buzz words to do just same - make you work more, for less.
I had a heart breaking patient yesterday. Has multiple sclerosis that starts getting to her. She keeps it secret at work as she "works for large corporation in leadership role (another bs word) and is afraid to lose her job when her illness will become apparent". Burst into tears and all that. That was one of them "I can always find room for improvement" types. Only imagine, how much negative impact on her health does this have?
Is that what you want to pursue, "because Kobe can"?

Old 04-13-2016, 02:16 PM

19,142 posts, read 27,774,643 times
Take it back. There is ALWAYS room to ONE improvement. Spiritual. THAT you CAN do.

Old 04-13-2016, 02:21 PM

25,669 posts, read 17,436,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
No. This is standard masters bs to make slaves work harder and for less. Slaves, not aware of their slaveship, gladly take upon this slogan and drive themselves into death, while masters chuckle in the couloirs.
You have some and many jobs that can not be improved. Yopu have some and many functions that can not be performed. You have some and many limitations due to being a human and more coming with age. There are limits to what one can do, learn, memorize, perform both mentally and physically. Yes, I know. Watch more movies like Lucy to "see the possibility". With "possibilkity" and "opportunity" being another buzz words to do just same - make you work more, for less.
I had a heart breaking patient yesterday. Has multiple sclerosis that starts getting to her. She keeps it secret at work as she "works for large corporation in leadership role (another bs word) and is afraid to lose her job when her illness will become apparent". Burst into tears and all that. That was one of them "I can always find room for improvement" types. Only imagine, how much negative impact on her health does this have?
If the definition of "improve" is as narrow as your discussion, I suppose we could all agree.

But this is the Philosophy forum. Perhaps your comments are better suited for the Work and Employment forum. Philosophically, we can always improve since philosophy is a study of the nature of knowledge and how to apply that knowledge.
Your woman in tears could have used a philosopher, but not a cheerleader.

Old 04-13-2016, 04:02 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,291,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Becoming/improving doesn't have to be under the guise of the bourgeoisie vs. proletariat. Life isn't all about work and hardly the reason why I brought up Kobe.

I strive, or at least try in my artistic life to become better, but at work I have a union job, where I could coast if I wanted to, but don't.

If I couldn't continue at where I was in life, due to injury, I would try and pivot. That is the point of life (or at least one of them?) to continue in the face of adversity? Which is an entirely different discussion. It's also an entirely different discussion to say that the "improving" is at the cost of your own life or other happiness.

I don't even Ayn Rand would agree to that...and I'm the exact opposite of a Randian.

Old 04-13-2016, 09:37 PM

1,720 posts, read 1,310,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
In most things for most people, the answer is yes.
I agree, and age-related decline is inevitable. For most persons athletic ability peaks around 27-30, then gradually declines. The age range for peak mental ability isn't as precisely understood, but seems to peak around the late 20s through mid to late 40s.

Old 04-13-2016, 10:30 PM

12,907 posts, read 9,164,788 times
In practical terms, sure, most people and things have room for improvement. In absolute terms however, the cost of improvement eventually exceeds the improvement itself. Eventually entropy wins.

Old 04-14-2016, 01:57 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,329,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke9686 View Post
You always hear people saying there is always room to improve, get better, do more, be more efficient, etc. Here's a philosophical question; is it possible? Do we at some point cap the possibility of improvement. This meant from a completely individual perspective.
I think the word "improvement" is kinda subjective.
No body should really say that to someone else because, how could that be something they could possibly know???
Unless they're living inside the skin of the one they say it to (or about) how would they know that that "room to improve" hasn't already been met or exceeded, or even whether it's possible or not?

I do feel though that the more experience one has at doing whatever it is they do, they surely will "get better" at it and become more "efficient".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy