Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 08:30 AM

105 posts, read 375,455 times

Advertisements

Does anyone avoid gardening (like vegetable and fruit trees) because of Valley Fever? I know the spores live in the dirt so I am just wondering if people avoid it because of this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2010, 08:59 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,422,460 times
There's entirely too much paranoia about VF here on C-D. The "risk" is there all the time, just from dust in the air. Theoretically, if you are out digging in the dirt you will kick up more dust, but so many people who get VF don't even know that's what they have... it is simply not that severe and is mistaken for a mild virus or just general fatigue. (Yes, I know there are exceptions, but they are rare). Also, if you have a garden, or even flower beds, you have to put so much soil supplements (mulch, peat moss, potting soil) that it isn't like you are digging in desert dust. Fruit trees, which you mention, are not a VF issue at all in theory once they are planted.

Old 06-17-2010, 10:01 AM

2,153 posts, read 5,176,891 times
It amazes me how many people that are new to the Valley are paranoid of scorpions, snakes, Valley Fever, etc. Unless you are like my dog who is always sniffing around the bushes and weeds you will likely never encounter any of them.

Just live a normal life and you will be fine.

Old 06-19-2010, 09:09 PM

295 posts, read 552,835 times
Valley Fever is something that happens to a surprising number of people. One suggestion would be to wear a facial mask when doing gardening. Of course, washing vigorously afterwards is critical.

Old 06-20-2010, 05:05 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,422,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixAirConcerns View Post
Valley Fever is something that happens to a surprising number of people. One suggestion would be to wear a facial mask when doing gardening. Of course, washing vigorously afterwards is critical.
It "happens" to the majority of people who have lived here for any length of time, yes, and for the vast majority of those affected, it is not significant. And, I don't think "washing vigorously" after gardening has virtually anything to do with avoiding VF, which is airborne. I realize your family has respiratory issues, but I suggest that you may be only feeding the general paranoia here by stating that any measure is "critical" to avoiding it.

Old 06-20-2010, 07:57 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,082,084 times
I hold no prejudice on anyone looking out for their health, VF can effect some negatively but for the most part you will just think you have the flu with a lingering cough. You probably won't be aware you have it unless there are complications. That being said, avoiding gardening (which I find a useless endeavor her in the desert for other reasons, namely the scorching heat) won't be of much use. When monsoon comes it puts everyone at risk and there isn't much you can do to avoid the dust. Not to mention our never ending construction.
Instead of putting off gardening and such task that involve the dirt like sweeping and yard work I would just be on the look out for any complications after a bout with what you think is the flu. Lingering cough, sore joints that last an obviously long time, etc.
Most likely you won't ever notice you have it, sort of like encephalitis, (which we get warned to look out for as well) but some people have a hard time. Unfortunately you won't know if your one of those few unless you end up being one of those few. Your chances are good at not being a bad case statistically.

Let me know if you are able to successfully grow anything in our climate. lol Hopefully you are sticking to the native stuff; And good luck with you're gardening; And do not put your hands where you can not see first, this is my only scorpion and black widow warning. Most people get nabbed when they aren't paying attention.

Welcome to the wild west. ha ha You'll be fine, we have all survived.

Old 06-20-2010, 10:58 AM

49 posts, read 142,781 times
construction workers have more of a chance of getting VF than you
do just digging and planting a garden. Good luck with your garden,
I really miss gardening but I haven't gotten used to planting in a
different season than I am used to.

Old 06-21-2010, 09:26 AM

430 posts, read 1,410,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
There's entirely too much paranoia about VF here on C-D. The "risk" is there all the time, just from dust in the air. Theoretically, if you are out digging in the dirt you will kick up more dust, but so many people who get VF don't even know that's what they have... it is simply not that severe and is mistaken for a mild virus or just general fatigue. (Yes, I know there are exceptions, but they are rare). Also, if you have a garden, or even flower beds, you have to put so much soil supplements (mulch, peat moss, potting soil) that it isn't like you are digging in desert dust. Fruit trees, which you mention, are not a VF issue at all in theory once they are planted.
Unless you are an expert on the subject, I wouldn't go telling people they are to paranoid. The article in the link says it takes on average 3 visits to the Doctor before they even test, that is why there is awareness going on to educate even doctors to test. I find the oversight on this pretty bad since this is an issue people out here can face. NO telling how many cases go undiagnosed, so the number of cases could be a lot more then you hear about. Heres the link to the article.... by the way I think you should wear a mask to garden here.

Tests encouraged as cases rise for valley fever

Old 06-21-2010, 10:59 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,082,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azkylady2 View Post
Unless you are an expert on the subject, I wouldn't go telling people they are to paranoid. The article in the link says it takes on average 3 visits to the Doctor before they even test, that is why there is awareness going on to educate even doctors to test. I find the oversight on this pretty bad since this is an issue people out here can face. NO telling how many cases go undiagnosed, so the number of cases could be a lot more then you hear about. Heres the link to the article.... by the way I think you should wear a mask to garden here.

Tests encouraged as cases rise for valley fever
Wow, I see it might be a little more worrisome now. The drugs they use to treat it can be harsh, last I heard they will only wait and see before they dole those out. If you don't shake it on your own they will then give you the meds. All illnesses like this are scary though and I think it's still something you shouldn't worry to much about unless you have the symptoms. It can drive you bonkers, I know, heck, I have sore joints right now, the first thing I thought was maybe its VF. lol YIKES

Last edited by twiggy; 06-21-2010 at 11:07 AM..

Old 06-21-2010, 11:11 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
I don't think people avoid gardening because of valley fever anymore than people in Ohio avoid gardening because of histoplasmosis. People avoid gardening here for the same reasons they avoid just about everything that makes summer enjoyable elsewhere - it is too damn hot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona