Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 07:52 PM

14 posts, read 25,848 times

Advertisements

I'm wondering about stuff to do to avoid annoying people. (Apart from posting stupid questions about intellectuals.) I know a lot of people find New Yorkers abrasive, and I've been told it's important to avoid appearing too negative in the rest of the country. Apart from tossing out my black clothing, what should I do to avoid ruffling too many feathers?

I'm also a big geek, which isn't going to help things.

P.S. Apart from politics. I know I'm going to have to move right.

P.P.S. If anyone knows where there are nerd chicks in Phoenix...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2011, 09:12 PM

141 posts, read 400,985 times
Hellman's is called Best Foods.

Old 01-21-2011, 07:56 AM

2,852 posts, read 4,500,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nerd42 View Post
I'm wondering about stuff to do to avoid annoying people. (Apart from posting stupid questions about intellectuals.) I know a lot of people find New Yorkers abrasive, and I've been told it's important to avoid appearing too negative in the rest of the country. Apart from tossing out my black clothing, what should I do to avoid ruffling too many feathers?

Being social but keeping a reasonable distance and blending in is the most important thing.

Being too critical of a new place compared to where you moved from is a no-no, this applies to anyone from all walks of life.

Old 01-21-2011, 10:42 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,216,031 times
People are people everywhere

the east coast is a pretty big area - but if looking generally at east coast cities (NY in specific) you'll find that people in phoenix generally are adapted to a little more space and privacy

we don't spend a lot of time walking on the streets, we don't cram ourselves into public transportation with the masses, we don't sit around waiting for a bus with a horde of other people, we don't all run to the lunch counter in big groups

there is just a smaller critical mass of people

people will park in their garage and sit in their yard behind the privacy of a 6' block fence ..... if they have their garage as storage then it's a quick walk in the front door

Even for things to do, not everyone with a shared interest goes into a single area - there is no real theater district, or music district, etc ........ you have some nightlife/entertainment hot spots ... but even then you'll find pockets all around the city

with this you're not going to find masses milling about who are all just hanging out

you just aren't forced around people so much and some of that interaction is lost ....... I lived in philly for a while and what some would consider abrasive, i found to just be honest and a different communication style .... it was very common to have strangers shout at you on the streets, sometimes just friendly conversation, sometimes to give you a hard time ... it can be a shock to those who aren't used to it, but it was never anything bad

you don't get that out here

however, on the flip side, when I moved to mpls you have a pretty big group of a steady population - people are surface friendly, but really didn't open up much unless in the comfort of their group of friends (which often went back decades) ..... i made a lot of good friends, but never had a group of friends when living there - i'd hang out with one buddy and his group, then another buddy and his group, then my girlfriend and her group .... you put all my individual friends in a room with each other and away from their groups and it would get a little akward

you don't really get that out here either ... you have a lot of transplants, a younger population, a more transitional population

so while the styles may be different and things will present differently ... people are still people

we have a whole range of interests, your politics can be what they are and will only be an issue if you make it one, you may need to dig a little for your scene but it's probably here, you may need to make a little extra effort to know your neighbors but chances are they're friendly, etc

The Phoenix Comicon is pretty well attended - there is an annual faerie festival at one of the parks here in goodyear, there are plenty of geeky/nerdy things to do and if you make a little effort and put yourself out there you'll find what you look for

some geek out on sports, i know a guy who is into racing RC cars, i know a couple former coworkers who would have weekly D&D games, there are more than enough $30k millionaires, people who are into offroading, quads & dirt bikes, car geeks, math nerds, fashion followers, etc

I think the biggest adjustment coming from back east though is moving to a city with a more suburban feel, spread out, car reliant where what you're looking for may not be easy to find as back home

Old 01-21-2011, 02:02 PM

2,153 posts, read 5,172,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by friggsdottir View Post
Hellman's is called Best Foods.
Edy's is called Dryer's.

Old 01-21-2011, 07:43 PM

141 posts, read 400,985 times
Hardee's is called Carl Jr

Old 01-21-2011, 07:46 PM

1,046 posts, read 3,483,278 times
Quote:
Hardee's breakfast is AWESOME!
Carl Jr.s breakfast is not.

Old 01-21-2011, 07:48 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,515,847 times
Quote:

Carl's Jr is better, though. Yes, I know CKE Restaurants has been slowly changing the Hardees menu to be more like Carl's Jr, but it's not quite there yet....

Old 01-21-2011, 08:16 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,696,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nerd42 View Post

I typically don't enjoy New Yorkers, specifically people from NYC, not necessarily the state. One of the people I hang out with once in a while is from NY and he is normal.

Being a geek from any state offends everyone but the geeks in this city.

Old 01-21-2011, 08:43 PM

1,705 posts, read 1,599,730 times
There will be annoying people anywhere and everywhere you go. There are good, bad, pretty, ugly, annoying, cool, etc. people everywhere.
You don't have to toss out your black clothing. You don't have to change your political views, either. In face you don't have to change anything about you. Just be you and you'll find your niche... and "nerd chick, too."

I'm from your area and I'm not changing my wardrobe nor my political point of view nor anything about me just because I'm moving 2000+ miles away. I'm still going to be me.

I've been to AZ several times and have great friends out there. It's really not another world. You're not going to go into complete culture shock. I find that a lot of people here in the NJ/NYC metro area have this mentality that modern civilization ends at the NJ / PA state line and that the rest of the US is hicksville. In fact, I get a lot of flack for my upcoming move out to AZ. This couldn't be farther from the truth! Not everyone outside of this area is a hick, cowboy, extreme conservative, or whatever other terms I've heard people use. With that said, I think that you'll be fine out in AZ. No need to panic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area