Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2011, 10:57 AM

202 posts, read 352,753 times

Advertisements

I am strongly considering ASU for college since I can get in state tuition for both Arizona and Montana. Is pheonix a good city for a college kid?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2011, 06:24 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,699,583 times
It depends what you are looking for Katie. Even though ASU has great law,engineering, and science degrees,including computer science, it is still a huge party university and most of the kids will act like it is so. I've heard complaints from some of the science students complaining about the lack of belonging outside of frats. Lack of belonging being that's what most students seem to talk about or want to be about.

I only say "great" now because they must have listened to someone because all the degrees I was interested in now have direction to them. Direction being lack of electives and classes that make sense for the degree.

Old 03-13-2011, 07:25 PM

710 posts, read 3,392,140 times
sure, why not. Just keep in mind that ASU proper isn't really anywhere near Phoenix. Tempe though, is great. Shorts year-round, 2 classes a day, cheap tuition ....gotta spend 4 years somewhere.

Old 03-13-2011, 07:26 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times
Well, first of all, Phoenix isn't the college town, Tempe is. While there is still a party component, the academic standing is getting better. There are an awful lot of student organizations, with a little effort, "belonging" outside of frats is certainly doable. The current students I know have found a community within a community, so it can be done.

Old 03-13-2011, 08:04 PM

6,405 posts, read 8,987,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ji603 View Post
sure, why not. Just keep in mind that ASU proper isn't really anywhere near Phoenix. Tempe though, is great. Shorts year-round, 2 classes a day, cheap tuition ....gotta spend 4 years somewhere.
It's not near downtown Phoenix but it's practically across the street from Phoenix proper.

Old 03-13-2011, 08:16 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,699,583 times
Geese guys... Most people that don't live in Phoenix call the Phoenix area "Phoenix." Even people that live in Arizona call the area Phoenix.

Old 03-14-2011, 02:30 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,063,176 times
ohhhhhhh....ASU!!!

I thought you were talking about the Thunderbird School of Global Management!!!.....or the University of Phoenix!

signed,
UA Graduate

Old 03-14-2011, 07:24 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,319,598 times
Why wouldn't you pick the school that has the best program for your proposed major?

Old 03-14-2011, 07:49 PM

9 posts, read 63,649 times
Tempe is a college town with a lot of college things to do. Downtown Phoenix is slowly getting there with the downtown campus, but I would not call the downtown campus a "college campus" as far as the feeling of it goes.

Old 03-14-2011, 11:25 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,298,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiphead View Post
It depends what you are looking for Katie. Even though ASU has great law,engineering, and science degrees,including computer science, it is still a huge party university and most of the kids will act like it is so. I've heard complaints from some of the science students complaining about the lack of belonging outside of frats. Lack of belonging being that's what most students seem to talk about or want to be about.

I only say "great" now because they must have listened to someone because all the degrees I was interested in now have direction to them. Direction being lack of electives and classes that make sense for the degree.
This is not true. ASU is nothing like the large universities found in the South and midwest like Alabama, Oklahoma, Texas, LSU, Georgia, Ohio St. Michigan etc. in which Greek life is a big part of the campus and nearly everyone belongs to a fraternity or sorority. That's not the case with the west coast in general because you don't have that same old traditional Greek culture like you do in the aforementioned universities. Most of the Pac 10 are not big fraternity schools. Sure, they all have fraternities but it's not like the South and some midwestern universities in which participation in Greek life is required and a status symbol. In fact, I've found it to be the opposite. If they find out your an ex- fraternity member, you are almost ridiculed for it in the west. In the South, it's seen as a symbol of prestige and people are willing to tell you what frat they were in. In Dallas, fraternity members still hang out with each other from the University of Texas.

ASU is a party school but it's not a big fraternity school. You see a lot of people who just live together and throw their own parties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area