Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2011, 01:02 PM

2,879 posts, read 7,781,980 times

Advertisements

I went by 36th and Osborn, yesterday. There is an elementary school on the corner. I was a little shocked to see a sign flashing on their billboard stating that so and so won the "Hispanic Mother Daughter club award." Wouldn't any organization whose name indicates they only accept members of a certain race be considered illegal on public school grounds? I know it is mostly harmless, but it seems like they can't have it both ways. I don't even know what school district it belongs to. It is the Monte Vista School. It appears to me that they are blatantly violating Federal Laws.

Old 04-20-2011, 01:05 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,431,214 times
Well, you don't know that "they" (whoever they are) "only accept members of a certain race" or even just exactly what, or where, this club is. For instance, it might have something to do with THIS program:

http://promise.asu.edu/hmdp

If you are really curious, call the school and ask.

Old 04-20-2011, 01:22 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,229,847 times
It's part of the Creighton school district

Creighton » Monte Vista School

Census data shows the school is 80% hispanic ..... looking through the teacher webpages, staffing, class photos those demographics seem about right although the staff/administration is definitely diversified .... they don't appear to be discriminating based on race in either their selection of students or staff

They do have a lot of programs in place to provide continuing education to parents, provide parent liasons, set expectations for parents in how to reinforce class room instruction ...... this is an area where there are huge gaps and if they give some sign on the board thing to get parents more involved in their kids education i'm for it ..... would I prefer mother/daughter award as opposed to hispanic mother/daughter .... sure

but that alone doesn't make it discriminatory or in violation of federal law .... bottom line is we don't know much about the school, the programs, if that is even school related, etc

seems like a fairly large jump in logic and a lot of getting upset about little

Old 04-20-2011, 01:23 PM

115 posts, read 291,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khuntrevor View Post
I went by 36th and Osborn, yesterday. There is an elementary school on the corner. I was a little shocked to see a sign flashing on their billboard stating that so and so won the "Hispanic Mother Daughter club award." Wouldn't any organization whose name indicates they only accept members of a certain race be considered illegal on public school grounds? I know it is mostly harmless, but it seems like they can't have it both ways. I don't even know what school district it belongs to. It is the Monte Vista School. It appears to me that they are blatantly violating Federal Laws.
Monte Vista School is part of the Creighton School District. If you want a good laugh contact them and listen to them do a double speak. They will take a good 20 minutes talking to you in circles.

Old 04-20-2011, 01:25 PM

115 posts, read 291,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Well, you don't know that "they" (whoever they are) "only accept members of a certain race" or even just exactly what, or where, this club is. For instance, it might have something to do with THIS program:

ASU Hispanic Mother-Daughter Program | Arizona State University

If you are really curious, call the school and ask.
Nice try Observer but in this case this club is open only to Hispanic Mothers and Daughters. Hispanic fathers and sons need not apply.

Old 04-20-2011, 01:28 PM

39,077 posts, read 51,252,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
It's part of the Creighton school district

Creighton » Monte Vista School

Census data shows the school is 80% hispanic ..... looking through the teacher webpages, staffing, class photos those demographics seem about right although the staff/administration is definitely diversified .... they don't appear to be discriminating based on race in either their selection of students or staff

They do have a lot of programs in place to provide continuing education to parents, provide parent liasons, set expectations for parents in how to reinforce class room instruction ...... this is an area where there are huge gaps and if they give some sign on the board thing to get parents more involved in their kids education i'm for it ..... would I prefer mother/daughter award as opposed to hispanic mother/daughter .... sure

but that alone doesn't make it discriminatory or in violation of federal law .... bottom line is we don't know much about the school, the programs, if that is even school related, etc

seems like a fairly large jump in logic and a lot of getting upset about little
Oh stop making so much sense! You sound like a liberal.

Old 04-20-2011, 01:40 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,431,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FadedGlory View Post
Nice try Observer but in this case this club is open only to Hispanic Mothers and Daughters. Hispanic fathers and sons need not apply.
It has nothing to do with "nice try"-- I was simply pointing out that the OP was making a lot of assumptions out of a few words on an electronic crawl billboard.

But, this program, if in fact that's where the "award" came from,(and we don't know) is not illegal. If the OP really wants to know more, he can call the school and ask.

Thread closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area