Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 01:49 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,158,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeSafetyQuestions View Post
The problem is, I don't think most people know about whether to treat for Arizona's brown recluse or the black widow. Most are not educated enough, and in the heat of the moment they cannot act correctly. While it is true that the effects of the poison spread through small children more easily, it isn't always isolated to small children.
Well, no matter how stressed out they are, it's easy enough to see if it's a brown spider or a black one.

You're debating medical care with a physician. I'm guessing you're outmatched on this one.

Old 05-31-2011, 04:55 PM

22 posts, read 41,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballette View Post
Well, no matter how stressed out they are, it's easy enough to see if it's a brown spider or a black one.

You're debating medical care with a physician. I'm guessing you're outmatched on this one.
I didn't know they were a physician. I was trying to say, in the heat of the moment, people aren't usually going to be able to look at the spider and analyze it. Often times it runs away after biting, or the reaction could be to squish it.

Old 05-31-2011, 05:59 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
Quote:
I didn't know they were a physician. I was trying to say, in the heat of the moment, people aren't usually going to be able to look at the spider and analyze it. Often times it runs away after biting, or the reaction could be to squish it.

Even squashed, they are easy to tell apart by color. And, the brown recluse is much more rare around here.

Old 05-31-2011, 06:48 PM

1,658 posts, read 2,693,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Even squashed, they are easy to tell apart by color. And, the brown recluse is much more rare around here.
So, if I receive a bad spider bite, it's probably not a brown recluse, because they're rare around here, and then if it's crushed, I can tell what type of spider it is by the color of the gooey mass. If it bit me while I was asleep while camping in the woods, then what?

Old 05-31-2011, 06:55 PM

Biting you while you are sleeping in the woods is even LESS likely. Black widows aren't out there, brown recluses are no more aggressive than BWs are, which is not at all. And yes, a smashed black widow is VERY recognizable. That black color is unique.

And, the topic is not spiders in the woods. Back to topic, if there's anything left to say.

Old 05-31-2011, 07:02 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,158,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IckyThump View Post
Since moving to AZ, I was completely unprepared for the amount of bugs that come out at night when the weather gets hot. I swear I kill about 2 black widows a week around our house. Now I'm seeing inch long cockroaches and there's always plenty of crickets all out in the back yard/patio. Not to mention I'm starting to see earwigs inside our house.

Anyone have ideas on how to get rid of them? We have cats so I'd be willing to use spider/roach spray, but don't want it to harm them. If there is an eco-friendly solution I'd be happy to hear about it. Otherwise, I'm wondering if getting an exterminator is worth the money at all and how long the effects of keeping bugs away for good by using an exterminator would last.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPassinThru View Post
So, if I receive a bad spider bite, it's probably not a brown recluse, because they're rare around here, and then if it's crushed, I can tell what type of spider it is by the color of the gooey mass. If it bit me while I was asleep while camping in the woods, then what?
If you read the first post, that started this thread, the person is not asking about camping in the woods. Back to the topic, please.

Old 05-31-2011, 07:40 PM

1,658 posts, read 2,693,650 times
[mod cut-- discussing moderation in the forums violates the TOS]
The topic of "woods" was mentioned here:
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Let's discuss spider bites. There are essentially two types you have to be concerned with: Brown Recluse and Black Widow. Brown Recluse is the one you have to worry about. They are typically found in the Midwest in barns and wooded areas but they are found here as well.
And this:
Black Widow Spider | MDC
To inform you that bw spiders are found in the woods.

My post was a sarcastic response to this simplistic post:
Quote:
Victims often do not feel the bite of the brown recluse. By the time they're experiencing symptoms, the spider is long gone. The poster's point -and very well taken- was that people don't know what to do when they're bitten by a spider. Some will rush to an emergency room, while others will wait for more serious effects. Simply knowing the color of the spider that may have bitten them is not enough information.

Last edited by observer53; 05-31-2011 at 08:11 PM..

Old 05-31-2011, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPassinThru View Post
[mod cut-- discussing moderation in the forums violates the TOS]
The topic of "woods" was mentioned here:

And this:
Black Widow Spider | MDC
To inform you that bw spiders are found in the woods.

My post was a sarcastic response to this simplistic post:

Victims often do not feel the bite of the brown recluse. By the time they're experiencing symptoms, the spider is long gone. The poster's point -and very well taken- was that people don't know what to do when they're bitten by a spider. Some will rush to an emergency room, while others will wait for more serious effects. Simply knowing the color of the spider that may have bitten them is not enough information.
It's a good start.

Thanks for the info on where to find BWs in Missouri. This thread has strayed fairly far afield from the original topic of how to get rid of spiders around the house. There's been a lot of good information on that issue so far. There are LOTS of threads here about spiders, including more general ones like the direction this thread is heading. Let's get this one back to topic, or it will be closed and added to the extensive Arizona C-D "insect collection".

Old 06-01-2011, 07:53 AM

34 posts, read 88,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Spraying for black widows doesn't work unless you hit them. It does cut down their food supply. Make sure you clear all corners, inside and out, look for the messy webs, which only they make.

In Tempe, they will come and put chemicals in the sewers in your neighborhood if you report a roach issue. I don't know if they will do that anywhere else. I haven't seen an earwig in years, we saw them all the time around the house I grew up in in Phoenix.
I have found that to be true. You must spray the spider directly to kill it. We have our yard treated three times a year. It has taken care of the problem of dangerous spiders and those disgusting mole cricket that like to swim in our pool. Spray all corners in and out, under all window sills and around the edge of your pool if it is above ground. I had one under the commode in my master bath. Scared the daylights out of me.

After following the above regimen for 2 years we have seen no more Black Widows. Roaches, however, are impossible when they can hitch a ride in your grocery bag. I spray for the buggers and never have german roaches, only the ones that come in from outside. The spraying kills them after they come in and I find them belly up on the floor. YUCK!

One bit of advice for anyone who tries to kill a Black Widow. They are very fast and will attack. So, don't get too close. I've used 2X4's and heavy shoes. They have tough hides and can't be killed by a "fly swatter".

Can you tell that I became obsessed with getting rid of these dangerous pests?

Quote:
Black widows are the easiest spiders to identify. They are the only spider that is very shiny black with an hour glass shape in red or yellow on its belly. You don't have to look for that. The shiny black hide is unique. Never use your hand to "squish" this spider. They are tough skinned and you'll only cause another bite.

Last edited by observer53; 06-01-2011 at 08:31 AM..

Old 06-01-2011, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jony in NOLA View Post
I have found that to be true. You must spray the spider directly to kill it. We have our yard treated three times a year. It has taken care of the problem of dangerous spiders and those disgusting mole cricket that like to swim in our pool. Spray all corners in and out, under all window sills and around the edge of your pool if it is above ground. I had one under the commode in my master bath. Scared the daylights out of me.

After following the above regimen for 2 years we have seen no more Black Widows. Roaches, however, are impossible when they can hitch a ride in your grocery bag. I spray for the buggers and never have german roaches, only the ones that come in from outside. The spraying kills them after they come in and I find them belly up on the floor. YUCK!

One bit of advice for anyone who tries to kill a Black Widow. They are very fast and will attack. So, don't get too close. I've used 2X4's and heavy shoes. They have tough hides and can't be killed by a "fly swatter".

Can you tell that I became obsessed with getting rid of these dangerous pests?

I'm not sure I'd use the word "attack" because sometimes they don't run in the direction of the threat. Frankly, if you score a direct hit with a spray from a can of Raid, you don't have to get close enough to hit them with anything else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area