Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2011, 05:05 PM

16 posts, read 58,334 times

Advertisements

I realize there was a somewhat similar thread recently regarding buyers recommending their realtors. However, I'm in a bit of a different situation.

My husband and I are completely new to the home buying process. I think that as completely inexperienced buyers that we need a realtor representing our interests. We don't have the biggest budget in the world ($100 - $125K ) which I realize doesn't provide much of an incentive.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a buyer's rep (preferably that knows the downtown/historic areas) that would actually be willing to work with us and give us some guidance?

Many thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2011, 07:07 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,162,804 times
City-Data does not permit realtor recommendations, but people are free to send you DMs. Best wishes.

Old 10-20-2011, 03:55 AM

1,216 posts, read 3,029,819 times
Your situation is not different at all. Many buyers are completely new at this situation so you are not alone. Best advice is to interview as many as you can and no matter what your situation or present location, ask your friends and relatives what they asked and what qualities they experienced when deciding on a realtor to represent them in buying a property. There are many realtors on this forum that you can do a search for and contact through a DM that will help you. As far as your budget, no realtor worth their salt should turn you down for it. A great realtor will give you the same service no matter what your budget is. You deserve it.

Old 10-20-2011, 08:25 AM

crystalys, thanks so much for your reply. I appreciate your input.

I have done some reading about interviewing agents and what questions to ask. I'd be interested to hear what folks think are the most important questions to ask - and also what the answers should be. Red flags that I should be on the look out for. Really, any advice/suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 10-20-2011, 12:37 PM

1,123 posts, read 3,058,364 times
You may want to look for an agent that has the ABR (Accredited Buyer Representative) designation. There are a lot of great agents out there without it, but having that designation shows that they have an interest in working with buyers.

Old 10-20-2011, 03:40 PM

Thanks for the tip AZ Tracy. I'll be sure to look for that designation.

Old 10-20-2011, 04:40 PM

800 posts, read 1,911,466 times
ABR means they've taken a paid course ($300), and pay annual dues of $110 to maintain the designation. It doesn't necessarily mean they are a better buyer's agent. There are tons of great agents out there that have no designations, and there are a ton of designations out there. My best advice is to interview a few agents over the phone, see if they sound willing to work with your situation, and if you feel you can strike a good rapport with them. Effective communication is one of the most important elements in a real estate transaction. If they are willing to work with you, they should offer to set you up with an MLS search that meets your parameters, offer advice on whether the homes are priced well when asked, and research the status of the listings for you.

Please, do NOT allow more than one real estate agent to work for you at the same time. Even if you do not sign a contract, there is such a thing as implied agency. Work with one agent only or there could be hours of wasted time, as well as a potential lawsuit. If you don't like what that agent is doing or not doing for you, let them know you are going to be working with someone else.

Best of luck with your home buying process!

Old 10-20-2011, 06:06 PM

Thanks for the good advice Chris. What you said makes a lot of sense. I agree that communication is key. And I would never work with more than one agent - that just doesn't seem right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area