Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2012, 09:06 PM

73 posts, read 152,577 times

Advertisements

Hi all!

We are moving to Phoenix this summer, and the house that we have purchased is a new construction with a blank canvas for a backyard (i.e., dirt). We are really wanting to do a grassy area in the middle of the yard, with desert landscaping with various trees, cacti, and flowering shrubs around the border. Being from the midwest, I know nothing about irrigation systems since it rains pretty regularly throughout the spring and fall, and even quite a bit in the summer, so I was hoping that those of you who have experience them could please answer a couple of questions for me:

1. Is an irrigation system necessary, or would going out in the mornings or evenings every day or every other day and watering (or setting up sprinklers) be sufficient?
2. Where is the best place to get a system? Could I buy one at Lowes or Home Depot and set it up myself, or is it better to have a professional come in and install one?
3. What can I expect to pay for a system?

On an unrelated note, since we are going to be getting settled and doing our landscaping in the heat of the summer, would it be a better idea to just buy sod and water it in really well or lay grass seed and let it grow out on its own?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2012, 10:16 PM

1,590 posts, read 4,624,111 times
you can use a sprinkler, but personally I did not have good results with it.
you can certainly buy and install your own system. just be sure you understand the components and have a siphon break
I bought all the parts for mine on clearance for about $100 at lowes. Then I smartened up and realized I moved to the desert for the desert, and Xeriscaped.

Water here can be expensive and draws in EVERYTHING. Lizards, snakes, scorpions, spiders and all kinds of other undesirable kritters love fresh water.

Old 04-13-2012, 10:28 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,401,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny536 View Post
you can use a sprinkler, but personally I did not have good results with it.
you can certainly buy and install your own system. just be sure you understand the components and have a siphon break
I bought all the parts for mine on clearance for about $100 at lowes. Then I smartened up and realized I moved to the desert for the desert, and Xeriscaped.

Water here can be expensive and draws in EVERYTHING. Lizards, snakes, scorpions, spiders and all kinds of other undesirable kritters love fresh water.
Please. Water here, unless you are in Maricopa or Anthem, is really pretty cheap-- cheaper than it should be in a desert. And, to say that no matter where you live, that watering plants will draw in SNAKES? Please. Scorpions are not that common, and if they are not in the area already, are unlikely to move to your yard just because you are watering some plants. Insects and spiders can be kept at bay by keeping things tidy and regular spraying (unless you have native lizards in the yard, they do a good job all on their own of keeping bugs in check).

To the OP: You are talking about cacti, trees and flowering plants like they all have the same water needs. They don't. So, a drip or bubbler system for plants/trees and sprinkler system for your lawn would be fine, cacti don't need or want that much water. If you want to have some sort of a cactus garden, put it in an area by itself without the drip or bubblers. They can get by with only very occasional hand watering.

If your lawn area is small, you could get by with a sprinkler attached to the hose, and save that part of the installation, and just do a drip or bubbler. I prefer bubblers that can be set on separate valves for separate times, and run on a timer, rather than one that you just turn on and it runs on all the plants for the same amount of time. If I went that route, I'd have someone put it in for me.

If you are moving in the dead of summer, I'd consider putting off the lawn until fall. I would not put seed down in the summer at all-- I'm not sure about sod. Actually, I might not do any landscaping in the heat of summer. I'm looking at having some renovation of my landscaping, and if I can't get it done by end of May, I'll wait until fall. (no grass involved)

Old 04-13-2012, 10:31 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,055,958 times
Hire a landscaper and save yourself some headaches. Irrigation systems can be tricky and depending on various things in your yard (trees, grass, perennials, flower beds, palms, etc.) you will need a dripper system along with sprinklers for the lawn. A control box is very nice, cause in summer, the ideal time to water is early early AM. Not a great time to run outside and move the sprinkler. There are tons of landscape companies who will do this for you (and charge an arm and a leg BTW). But its necessary, unless you want everything to die in the heat.

Old 04-13-2012, 11:53 PM

44,622 posts, read 61,590,826 times
If you're moving to Phoenix in the heat of summer from a cooler place and plan on doing this work yourself, you're asking for a heat stroke with the shock to your body. Fall when the temps are bearable is ideal for your yard plans.
BTW if you want to seed the lawn you're pretty much limited to bermuda grass which is a pollen allergy grass that is invasive. Check with your HOA, if you have one, to see if it's authorized. Your best bet is to lay one of the varieties of rolled sod which is softer to the touch and is non allergenic.
If you're a novice then I would recommend a pro for advice and to do the work, or at least the basics, since the heart of a sucessful yard or garden is proper watering. And a automated water system on a timer is best, since water requirements for various vegetation changes as the temps change and you do not want to under water or over water at the wrong times. A separate watering system is needed for trees, shrubs and grass flower gardens. They all have different characteristics and watering needs.

Old 04-14-2012, 08:18 AM

1,232 posts, read 3,131,980 times
Have an irrigation system professionally installed. I just paid $720 to have it done in front & back. No one out here waters by hand. It's too hot in summer and the plants need a tiny bit of water frequently, which is exactly what a drip system provides. You can have the rock/desert part installed any time of year. Why wait til fall? You'll be missing out on 6 months of growth. You can buy the stuff at Home Depot for the irrigation system but I think what the pros install is generally better quality components.

I can't help you with the grass. A lot of new yard installs here do artificial turf. It's around $7/SF installed and it's hot and needs blown off to keep looking nice. But mowing when it's 110 out is a drag.

Old 04-14-2012, 08:45 AM

73 posts, read 152,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadyFreddy View Post

I can't help you with the grass. A lot of new yard installs here do artificial turf. It's around $7/SF installed and it's hot and needs blown off to keep looking nice. But mowing when it's 110 out is a drag.
You know, I kind of like the idea of artificial turf! I have been reading about it and apparently there are some types that are made specifically with dogs in mind (I have 2). I may have to explore this option further! Does anyone have any experience with it?

The reason we are talking about doing it in the summer is that the only downside of our wonderful new home is that it is in a neighborhood with HOA guidelines, one of which is that you have to have your backyard put in within 120 days of moving. Since we are moving mid-May, this window puts us in the summer. We were thinking of getting up early and working while it is cool, and then after the sun goes down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area