Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2012, 10:50 PM

26 posts, read 51,818 times

Advertisements

Ok, so I pulled and pulled and got it all out before I mowed but man, it is really infested. I realize that there are not really any suitable weed killers at this time.. I am guessing it is a matter of reducing the watering and pulling the weeds like crazy each and every week, arghhhhhh...https://www.box.com/s/9d4e7ee9981eb42e715a

Last edited by observer53; 03-27-2013 at 11:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2012, 12:03 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,408,068 times
That doesn't look like clover to me, it looks like a weed called "spurge". It's the bane of my existence in a gravel yard, but it would grow anywhere. In the gravel, I just pull it out if it's doing its normal thing of spreading out from one root; if it's denser, I have to spray it.

Old 07-02-2012, 09:21 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,058,216 times
Yes, its spurge and I have it too. Mine is in the lawn and I just leave it alone. At least its green !!!

Old 07-02-2012, 10:40 AM

Thanks all. Iiiiiiinteresting, totally agree it's spurge. Is kind of a bummer considering I laid down a bunch of preemergent granules a couple months ago. Apparently the product did nothing... I suppose I will just reduce water some and pull the stuff each and every week, I would think there would eventually be less and less, not sure.

Old 07-02-2012, 12:28 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,219,584 times
yeah - pull back on the watering ... it usually flares up a little bit, but then dies down

the nice thing is you can "fluff" out the radials to losen it up and then walk back to the main root and just pulling one center root can sweep up a ton of the stuff .... i've had it in my yard before, but mainly get it on my rock retaining wall

typically if I stay on top of it the stuff just calms down

Old 07-03-2012, 10:53 AM

310 posts, read 1,160,304 times
I had that it my lawn two weeks ago as well! I bought one of those Weed killers that attach on the end of your hose (bayer advance in the blue bottle) waited til after the sun went down and sprayed...killed all the weeds! It did turn my lawn slightly yellow, but that only lasted a week. Now my lawn is bright green and weed free! Or another suggestion is to try the fertilizer with weed control built in....I have not tried that, but the weed control would be slow release so less chance of burnout.

Old 03-27-2013, 06:54 AM

Greetings gang, me again, it's that time of year. My summer grass is coming in great but I what comes after that. The spurge, ug... I was wondering if there is anything I can do now to head this off. Once watering in earnest begins, it seems inevitable that the spurge will come back in full force as it always does. I put some granules down last year around this time and it did nothing. Thanks for opinions, Agathis,

Last edited by observer53; 03-27-2013 at 11:28 AM..

Old 03-27-2013, 09:12 AM

64 posts, read 134,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
Yes, its spurge and I have it too. Mine is in the lawn and I just leave it alone. At least its green !!!
That made me LOL.

I see that plant all over the place here too.

Old 03-27-2013, 11:27 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,408,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agathis View Post
Greetings gang, me again, it's that time of year. My summer grass is coming in great but I what comes after that. The spurge, ug... I was wondering if there is anything I can do now to head this off. Once watering in earnest begins, it seems inevitable that the spurge will come back in full force as it always does. I put some granules down last year around this time and it did nothing. Thanks for opinions, Agathis,
Really good preemergents put down at the proper time do help. I don't know what the"granules" you used are, but go to one of the bug and weed mart type places and talk to the folks there... they will steer you the right way. I haven't been doing the preemergent thing regularly, and am paying for it now, not with spurge, but with some other weeds, and a grass that I've had ever since a freak monsoon storm flooded my yard a few years ago. It's easy to pull up, but there's a lot of it. I'll pull that, and then head to the bug and weed mart to get something to kill off the rest of the weeds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area