Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 08:13 AM

29 posts, read 57,216 times

Advertisements

We are thinking of buying a new house (San Tan Valley). The builder, Shea Homes, offers a pool package through Shasta Pools. The packages start at 19K. Our lot size would be what could be considered an average size for a tract home. Has anyone had experience with Shasta Pools and what could one reasonably expect to pay once all the dust has settled? We are looking at a basic pool with some "rock" features. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2012, 08:39 AM

4,866 posts, read 11,228,199 times
When we bought our home there was a "pool package" offered for around the same price you mentioned. We went to the Shasta office and sat down with the pool guy and by the time we were done the price was up to $38,000. The pool package was very basic and the stuff we added caused the price to increase quickly.

We then shopped around and got a much better deal from Presidential Pools on a larger pool with a better setup (flagstone, more steps, larger rock feature, etc.). We ended up paying $30,000 for a much better and larger pool then we would have gotten for $38,000 with Shasta.

My buddy got the "pool package" with his home and it isn't really a pool. It is a little tiny thing (my wife calls it a hot tub) with a little tiny water feature with no steps or shelves in the pool like mine has. He always says he wished he would have done what I did and spent a bit more on a nicer pool.

Old 12-02-2012, 09:00 AM

5,035 posts, read 9,227,678 times
We did the same as LBTRS, after getting an almost $40k quote from Shasta. In addition to Presidential, we went to Paddock. At both places we were able to get a lot more for less money. (Presidential and Paddock both came in comparably priced at just under $30k.) In the end we went with Paddock and were very pleased, but it was really a toss-up between them and Presidential.

One thing we learned as we sat down with each salesperson, they enter things into their computer as you go through everything - but the final printout doesn't reflect everything that is going to cost you money. In other words, the final printout you receive indicates the "main" features and total price, but things don't add up properly. For example, if you ask what the price of a feature is and are told $X, that is not the same price as on the printout because the feature needs this and that in order to function. The printout, therefore, shows $X plus the other things needed for it to run as one number, (without the associated things being itemized). When we got home after visiting each place it was difficult to pare down the estimate, because of the way each was written. It was also difficult to get past the feeling we were somehow being "taken", because we couldn't see each and every dollar we were spending.

My recommendations are to go with a legal-sized pad and pen and take the time to write down each and every single thing you talk about (with prices), as you are discussing them - even though they will tell you that you'll get a printout at the end. I also recommend comparing the exact size pool and features with each place, so you could compare apples to apples.

Last edited by CheyDee; 12-02-2012 at 09:09 AM..

Old 12-02-2012, 09:06 AM

654 posts, read 1,496,763 times
Any time a builder offers a "basic package" for a new home it means big $$$$$$$$$ for any upgrades.

Pools , flooring.windows, appliances etc. same ole same ole. I worked in the builder supply industry for years, the basics they provide are always the bottom of the bbl.

Old 12-02-2012, 02:01 PM

211 posts, read 544,254 times
shea is a great home builder..

Are you building in Johnson Ranch? i was just looking at them online.

Old 12-02-2012, 02:41 PM

Default Pool

We currently own a home in the 55plus section of Johnson Ranch (Solera)...great house and community but we would like our own pool and the current property does not allow for it. The new Shea homes have some great floorplans but as others have mentioned, they are showing lots of upgrades. Worth taking a look though.

Old 12-02-2012, 05:12 PM

211 posts, read 544,254 times
Yes. All the model homes have about $20k in upgrades or more. However depending on the builders my will give you Xxx amount of free upgrades financing w there bank.

Old 12-03-2012, 04:25 PM

168 posts, read 456,618 times
Two homes ago, we bought a Shea home with the Shasta pool package included. As others have said, you don't get much for 19k. Unless you shell out more money, you'll end up with essentially a plunge pool. That said, if they're giving you 19k toward a pool, and you have another 10k to add, you'll end up with a decent pool, though not sure about the water feature if you're only talking 30k total. It would depend on size, pebble-tec, vacuum system, etc.

Shasta builds a nice, quality pool. We've owned two. But they tend to be more expensive then other builders. I know quite a few people who've gone with Presidential and gotten pools similar to ours but for significantly less money. That said, many have had problems with their pools and we've not had any with ours. But I'm sure there are many Shasta owners who've had problems and would never buy another Shasta pool again. Just beware and shop around before committing to the builder deal. As with anything, there's an element of "you get what you pay for" so if it seems too cheap, it might be.

Old 12-03-2012, 07:14 PM

Thanks, appreciate the advice.

Old 12-05-2012, 10:29 AM

183 posts, read 550,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhinsFan1 View Post

Shasta builds a nice, quality pool. We've owned two. But they tend to be more expensive then other builders. I know quite a few people who've gone with Presidential and gotten pools similar to ours but for significantly less money. That said, many have had problems with their pools and we've not had any with ours. But I'm sure there are many Shasta owners who've had problems and would never buy another Shasta pool again. Just beware and shop around before committing to the builder deal. As with anything, there's an element of "you get what you pay for" so if it seems too cheap, it might be.
I was hoping someone would get to this point.
I would like to "second" Presidential as an inferior product and service.
Having a chance to do it again soon, I will spend a little more money and go with shasta.
They are the bigger player in town, and they do it right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area