Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 08:31 PM

1,551 posts, read 3,643,993 times

Advertisements

Kids do all kinds of things during the summer here. They still play baseball, football and all the stuff kids do. They are much better suited for the heat than us grown ups.
As the others have said, MAKE SURE they stay hydrated. Lots of water. LOTS of water and they will be fine. The will ride their bikes and do things kids do every place else in the country.
Of course having a pool at the house is ideal. Great way to spend the day and cool off at the same time. An added bonus is that it's one of the best, if not THE best excersize you can do and it's even fun.
There are water parks here, pools everywhere, and there are plenty of lakes around to enjoy.
I'm in the east valley and just a few miles from me is the Salt River. That's VERY popular during the summer. They float the river in innertubes. They rent or bring a tube and there are buses that run that stretch of river all day long so the kids float the river and when they come to a certain point, the bus picks them up and takes them back up river. It's pretty cool and it's a great way to actually enjoy the heat and spend the day. Heck, I'm planning on trying that myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2013, 08:35 PM

28 posts, read 38,609 times
Do kids have sport activities organized in the summertime? Here in WI, all our sports are played in the summer (since we have too much snow and it's too cold in the winter)... Wondering when baseball leagues (kids Little League), soccer teams, football are played... I realize you can play these sports all year long in AZ but when are the normal times of year for these sports to be played through an organization/school.

Old 03-19-2013, 08:38 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,418,355 times
I moved here from TX last summer and there was not one kid playing outside in my neighborhood. I don't allow my five year old to play video games so we spent a lot of time in the pool, seeing movies, going to play at McDonald's etc. We went outside to play when it was nearly dark.
When I lived her as a child we played outside all day. Wear plenty of sunscreen and drink lots of water. Go to the library and try to meet other families at church, or something. Good luck and enjoy PHX!

Old 03-19-2013, 08:54 PM

1 posts, read 2,137 times
right now parks are packed with kids playing sports on the weekends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifers1241 View Post
Do kids have sport activities organized in the summertime? Here in WI, all our sports are played in the summer (since we have too much snow and it's too cold in the winter)... Wondering when baseball leagues (kids Little League), soccer teams, football are played... I realize you can play these sports all year long in AZ but when are the normal times of year for these sports to be played through an organization/school.

Old 03-19-2013, 08:56 PM

Wonderful!! That's what I was wondering. When school/ league sports were played? I was assuming during the school year but just wanted to make sure.. Thank you!

Old 03-20-2013, 12:08 AM

1,429 posts, read 2,418,355 times
I forgot...sign the kids up for swimming lessons/teams! My son started soccer in December and t-ball just this March...he loved it and since he is an only child he had to share the soccer ball! A good lesson!

Old 03-20-2013, 08:03 AM

What time of year do you have Little League? My 7 year old plays soccer, baseball and basketball.. Just wondering when these different sports take place.. Thank you!

Old 03-20-2013, 08:25 AM

1,832 posts, read 5,762,672 times
Well I survived the summers here we played all summer long outdoors. No plastic playgrounds under shade we have metal one in the open. Went to the Clark Park and Tempe Beach swimming pools a lot. But nowadays kids will be playing video games all year round.

Old 03-20-2013, 08:38 AM

39,072 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocoAZnative View Post
Well I survived the summers here we played all summer long outdoors. No plastic playgrounds under shade we have metal one in the open. Went to the Clark Park and Tempe Beach swimming pools a lot. But nowadays kids will be playing video games all year round.
I agree. My kids were born here and have no fear of heat. The went in the pool a lot when they were small, but as they got older all they did was lay around and watch TV or play video games like all kids do. They also played in the cul-de-sac at night. We and the neighbors had construction site floodlights we would set up. We had every kid in the neighborhood over! They drive now so they will go to Starbucks now and then and to the new frozen yogurt place. Kids today would rather text and instant message each other than meet in person, it seems. My daughter goes shopping with mom a lot too. They buy stuff one day and return it the next. Makes no sense to me, but it is something of a pastime for them.

Old 03-20-2013, 08:41 AM

8,000 posts, read 17,328,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifers1241 View Post
Hi everyone..
We are a family with 3 small boys from WI looking to relocate to the Phoenix area. I am wondering what kinds of things kids do in the summer here (being that it is so HOT). Do people still do outdoor activites or what is it like for the summer months? I just don't want to have to hibernate inside for a few months while the kids are off school (we are use to hibernating during the winter months but the kids are at least in school). Thank you for your help..
Same as kids everywhere. They just need to drink more water when doing it and stay dressed, fully covered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area