Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 11:14 PM

2 posts, read 3,566 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. I'm a newcomer to the city-data forums. I am an incoming graduate student to Arizona State University. I found a place very close to the campus on the east side near University and McClintock. I have done tons of research on crime around Tempe and the campus, but I cannot seem to get a grip on how bad or good it really is. From what I've found in my own research, the biggest problem with crime in most of that area of Tempe is theft? Now I'm having second thoughts on my application that I sent in for this really nice townhome/condo. Am I overthinking? Is it really horrible, or should I stick it out and just be careful with things left in the car, etc? Or do you think I should reconsider somewhere else? I am fine with partying and noise, and I'm a musician so noise doesnt really bother me a lot. It's just this weird fascination with the crime statistics. Let me know what you guys think. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2013, 11:26 PM

1,871 posts, read 2,099,223 times
I got my bachelor's degree at ASU. So hello to you fellow future SunDevil. Having lived in the dorms and at an couple of Apartment complexes I can share my experiences. I think most college towns have increased in crime and it is so important to just be aware of your surroundings. My Dad gave me an old bike of his that I had first the seat stolen from it and then the whole bike was taken. Really frustrating. I had several locks and those cord type of things that that you can weave through the spokes. They still stole it. I learned to bring my bike in after that and not leave it out on the bike racks. I also lived in that area that you are planning on living. I lived in Firefox Apartments and those were initially ok until management changed hands on a monthly basis and then everything went to the ****ter. I also lived at El Diablo Apartments and those are a great place. Good luck on your move and your career at ASU. Overall I had a blast at that university had to work hard but it is a nice walkable area. Just remember to be aware of surrounding and don't be afraid to bring things indoors.

Charlie.

Old 07-08-2013, 11:27 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,766,789 times
The east side of campus is where the majority of the college kids live. With all the college kids there will be theft. You will be down the street from Tempe Marketplace get food at Chompies, Haji-baba, Tempe Improv down the street. I live in Tempe, but wouldn't live in that area not because of crime, but because of obnoxious college kids.

Old 07-09-2013, 12:04 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,431,214 times
You should always be careful about leaving valuables in the car, anywhere., not just in that area of Tempe. I suspect you'll be just fine. Use common sense, and odds are you will not have any theft or other crime issues.

Old 07-09-2013, 01:09 AM

1,016 posts, read 2,980,470 times
I think you are really overreacting. You're making it sound like Tempe is an out of control gang warzone. Inhale exhale you will be fine living anywhere near campus. Like the above mentioned just use common sense and be aware of your surroundings. Theft is only an issue if you make yourself a target. NEVER leave valuables visible in the car (iphone, gps, expensive bags like Michael Kors, etc) and that goes for anywhere you live. If you have a bike bring it inside or lock it up good with a good lock. Tempe police have "bait bikes" all over Tempe to catch bike thieves and get them off the streets. Anyway enjoy ASU! Put your mind at ease!

Old 07-09-2013, 10:52 AM

1,479 posts, read 2,720,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarimeister View Post
From what I've found in my own research, the biggest problem with crime in most of that area of Tempe is theft?
There is a high amount of theft all over the Valley relative to other parts of the country, it's not just a Tempe thing. Lock your doors, lock up your bicycle with a good high quality U-lock, buy a steering lock for your car and never ever leave a bag or backpack just sitting on the front seat of your car because you will end up getting your window smashed out and the bag taken.

Welcome to Phoenix.

Old 07-09-2013, 11:49 AM

2 posts, read 3,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeBoyDJ View Post
I think you are really overreacting. You're making it sound like Tempe is an out of control gang warzone. Inhale exhale you will be fine living anywhere near campus. Like the above mentioned just use common sense and be aware of your surroundings. Theft is only an issue if you make yourself a target. NEVER leave valuables visible in the car (iphone, gps, expensive bags like Michael Kors, etc) and that goes for anywhere you live. If you have a bike bring it inside or lock it up good with a good lock. Tempe police have "bait bikes" all over Tempe to catch bike thieves and get them off the streets. Anyway enjoy ASU! Put your mind at ease!
Thanks. I was thinking the same thing - overreacting. I'm extremely excited to attend ASU, and the place I found is pretty darn nice. Thanks for reassuring me. And, thanks everyone else for the suggestions and praise. I appreciate it!

Old 07-09-2013, 01:06 PM

717 posts, read 1,058,894 times
I loved going to asu, but I hated Tempe due to the constant car-related crime. My car was broken into, one roommates car was vandalized and then later broken into, and my other roommate had his car stolen outright. After he replaced his car, he later had parts stolen from the new one (as in they removed an expensive part from the underside of the car). That got old really fast, especially since we all had no money and crappy cars to begin with.

Old 07-09-2013, 02:00 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,431,214 times
Car related crime, particularly auto theft, is less of a problem in Tempe than in prior years. That said, it's an issue everywhere to some degree.

Old 07-12-2013, 07:00 PM

8,045 posts, read 12,271,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Car related crime, particularly auto theft, is less of a problem in Tempe than in prior years. That said, it's an issue everywhere to some degree.
Yes, in terms of numbers, car thefts have actually decreased. I remember there was a time when the Phoenix metro area always ranked #1 or close to it when it came to auto theft, and our car insurance rates were among the highest in the nation too. Thankfully, it's less of a problem than it used to be, and auto insurance rates aren't as outrageous as they used to be ... but of course, theft and vandalism still occur. I don't think it makes much of a difference what part of the metro area you're in either. Crimes involving vehicle theft (or attempts) can happen in Paradise Valley just as much as in Tempe or anywhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area