Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2013, 05:21 PM

34 posts, read 59,713 times

Advertisements

From November 1st-April 1st, does the Phoenix area have better weather than San Diego and Orange County, CA? Is Phoenix warmer, drier, and sunnier in the winter than those areas?

Thanks in advance for your replies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2013, 05:22 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,645,144 times
You mean like this? Phoenix winter weather vs. San Diego winter weather (Dec-Feb)?

Old 10-26-2013, 08:16 PM

1,629 posts, read 2,629,273 times
It depends. Are you talking about coastal OC or SD or areas inland? Areas like El Cajon, Santee, Poway, RSM, and Vista are most comparable to what you'll find in metro Phoenix. Differences in wintertime daytime highs are negligible, absent of Santa Ana events, which Phoenix doesn't get. Nighttime low temperatures are generally much more variable than either OC or SD. Phoenix doesn't have any body of water to moderate the occasional cold fronts that pass through. Low temperatures average in the mid to upper 30s across many of the outlying areas of the metro area, with at least several freezes annually. Within more central areas of the metro area, low temperatures average in the low to mid 40s with a freeze or two occurring every several years (usually no lower than 30). Most winters in those areas easily pass without a freeze. This past winter was a very rare exception with three subfreezing nights in a row at the airport (one of the warmest locations in the area).

A good measure that I use is to determine whether a city is in a frost belt here is to look at frost sensitive plants and trees (ficus, bougainvillea, jacaranda). If the trees look hacked up or half dead from annual pruning due to frost damage, you know that area routinely falls below freezing each year. Areas in more central areas have much larger and healthier looking frost sensitive plants and trees due to the heat island.

Old 10-26-2013, 08:39 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,064,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post

wow, Detroit....you got on that in one minute!....good work

the low humidity over here makes the difference....very cool at night, warm in the daytime....shady areas are remarkably cooler than adjacent sunny areas.....

deserts: "freeze at night, burn in the daytime", they say

Old 10-26-2013, 09:00 PM

512 posts, read 948,027 times
I moved here from coastal Ventura/Orange Counties...this is the coldest place that I have ever lived in!! I am not looking forward to the winter as I love the heat lol. It is definitely drier here though...

Old 10-26-2013, 09:38 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,704,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousAboutCA View Post
From November 1st-April 1st, does the Phoenix area have better weather than San Diego and Orange County, CA? Is Phoenix warmer, drier, and sunnier in the winter than those areas?

Thanks in advance for your replies.
This must be a Trick Question, Curious.

For many years I lived in Newport Beach and, believe me, there's not too many other places outside of possibly the Northeast or Alaska with any colder or more dreary weather on a regular basis.

I do not miss the dampness, the fog and the overcast skies until Noon one little bit.

Old 10-26-2013, 09:52 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,802,978 times
With all due respect to the locals...no one can actually tell the climates apart. They are different but not in terms that leads to a ready differentiation.

The CA climate is very local as you get close to the sea. In fact if I chose to live there again it would be 8 or 10 miles from the ocean as I really do not like the morning fog.

However Phoenix can get pretty cold pretty quick so even that is a tradeoff.

Nether freezes hard and they basically share the same vegetation.

Old 10-27-2013, 05:04 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,209,468 times
Phoenix is sunnier and drier, but it is still a few degrees colder than coastal SoCal. The Pacific's influence and marine layer keep SoCal on the coast cool, but warmer (especially at night) than the inland deserts. SoCals' coast does get more winter rain, though.

Old 11-08-2013, 09:48 PM

9 posts, read 48,253 times
What basically everyone has said. Felt temps at night and early morning are considerably colder in Phoenix wintertime versus the coastal communities....and daytime especially in the shade is nippier due to the dryness. For the same reason, many retirees prefer Florida (again nearer the water than not for the aforementioned maritime moderating effect).. I love and have lived in the Phoenix area for 45 years, but would prefer the So Cal coast for both summer (obviously!) and winter, with fall and spring here in Az. Compared to the Rocky mountain states or back east our winters are nothing of course, but everything's relative and once you're here awhile like most places you look forward to spring (then quickly complain about the heat!).

Last edited by azroadrunner; 11-08-2013 at 09:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: