Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2014, 09:59 AM

296 posts, read 365,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
Fry's and Best Buy price match places like Amazon now which for me has got me back in their stores...same lower price but I can have it right now.
Thanks for mentioning this! We've bought the majority of our electronics on sale for years, but after seeing how the major postal service delivered our TV some things are better local. (He was flipping our 50" TV end over end up the stairs on a box that said two person lift and to carry upright at all times.)

I'm familiar with Fry's from California and this particular store didn't seem large to me in comparison. As others have said Fry's stores are pretty huge. I'm not sure how the stores in California are doing but demand doesn't seem to warrant that big of a store anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2015, 07:47 AM

13,345 posts, read 7,373,734 times
I remember going to the Tempe frys store the first day it opened now I hardly ever go there I just order everything online mostly with amazon prime. Christmas shopping used to be crazy at Fry's they would open almost 100 registers but I wonder what online sales have done to it lot of talk that Fry's was going to go out of business.

Quote:
(He was flipping our 50" TV end over end up the stairs on a box that said two person lift and to carry upright at all times.)
Lucky it wasn't plasma tv if you lay those down they are ruined I guess those are old technology now.

TV's I go to Costco, Best buy, or online I have never bought a TV from Frys they were always more expensive then Best buy or Costco.

Old 01-01-2015, 07:54 AM

3,763 posts, read 5,872,896 times
Even with cost matching, I am still surprised that Best Buy is still around. Everything is high. Only go there when I am in a hurry. Mostly small stuff.

Old 01-01-2015, 10:12 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,751,623 times
Having just bought a TV, I found Best Buy's prices to be as low as anyone's for the model I wanted. Delivery and setup was free, and nobody else had the hard-to-get item (google "last great plasma") in stock.

Old 01-01-2015, 10:16 AM

3,819 posts, read 11,954,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
Having just bought a TV, I found Best Buy's prices to be as low as anyone's for the model I wanted. Delivery and setup was free, and nobody else had the hard-to-get item (google "last great plasma") in stock.
Samsung F8500? I just recently got one too!

Old 01-01-2015, 01:13 PM

241 posts, read 387,122 times
Quote:
same here! bought 2 60F8500's.....

Old 01-01-2015, 02:01 PM

404 posts, read 767,448 times
I remember going to Incredible Universe after they opened - it was pretty amazing compared to other options at the time (there weren't too many - Best Buy may have just recently opened in my area as well). It was the first place I ever saw laser discs in quantity. I remember thinking you could probably do some serious damage by flinging one of those like a frisbee at someone...

Frys just seems like a very bizarre setup to me - employees dressed in a slightly more upscale than normal retail fashion, yet hard to find when you need something and many disinterested in helping. I guess that part is pretty normal for retail - the bizarre part comes from their selection of items for sale. Everything from soldering irons to cologne to candy to kids toys and stuffed animals. And of course PCs, software, movies, and other electronics. Oh well, I think I've scored some good deals there on occasion.

Old 01-01-2015, 02:35 PM

848 posts, read 970,207 times
Regarding the weird selection, ever since Radio Shack became Cell Phone Shack, Fry's is the best place for getting individual electronic components now, like resistors, transistors, diodes, capacitors, etc.

Old 01-01-2015, 03:11 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,751,623 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by grassfeeder View Post
same here! bought 2 60F8500's.....
Yes, great TV. The 60".

Old 01-01-2015, 04:48 PM

3,819 posts, read 11,954,726 times
Yep, loving the 64" here. I spent quite a bit of time calibrating it too, I wasn't that impressed with it out of the box but now it's awesome. The fact that I saved about $900 on it vs the regular sales price was a nice bonus too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area