Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 07:21 PM

50 posts, read 79,441 times

Advertisements

I've searched and read back through all the threads I can find relevant to Maricopa, but a lot of them are older. I'm wondering what it is like there now.
The way I figure it, I am going to wind up commuting somehow, from somewhere. Some of my best job prospects are in Chandler and about 25 minutes away from the Rancho El Dorado community in Maricopa.
Can anyone living in Maricopa share their honest opinion of what it has been like to live there? I'd love to hear about what the commute is really like these days, whether it has become any easier to get in and out (access roads better? more options?), if there are enough amenities in the area to make it a comfortable place to live. What does the city have to offer now?
I know Pima Butte Elementary is pretty well rated, but I've read if I am commuting it's an option to enroll my children in Kyrene schools instead and just drive them back and forth. How feasible is this really?

I'm going to be very honest and say, while I can afford $1200-1300 in rent, I would prefer to spend less. Why? I am in the midst of a divorce, my husband is still finishing PA school, and I am the only income currently. So if living in Maricopa allows me to pay less for rent- it might be a benefit overall. Especially because I used some commute calculators and they are estimating I'd spend $120 a month on gas for the commute. That doesn't seem so bad considering a rent of $1000 instead of $1300.

I'd also like to hear from people who have made the commute and hated it so much that they moved. Or just didn't like living in Maricopa.

I'm not dead set on moving there. I am doing research to make the most informed decision I can. In April 2016, I will start getting a decent amount of child support and maintenance since his income will be significantly higher than mine. So it's also an option to move to someplace like Maricopa and try it out, but move more central a year later when I can more easily afford it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2015, 07:29 PM

241 posts, read 387,122 times
you've been all over the board "literally" with places. Your best bet is to come down and check them out personally.

You couldn't pay me to live there but your desires and demands are probably way different than mine.

Old 02-06-2015, 07:29 PM

1,204 posts, read 1,980,673 times
If you are looking for cheap and only for a year, why not look at renting a room from someone? It does cramp your style but you might be able to find a room for 300-500 a month much, much closer to where you will be commuting too. Just a thought.

Old 02-06-2015, 07:32 PM

I know, trust me I know. I'm a huge planner and researcher. I believe in going in with as much information as I can.
That being said, I really cannot make a trip out before moving. I can't take time off of work right at the moment and since my spouse is in school in another state, I can't just pick up and go on a touring visit and not have my kids with me. I know it's my best bet, but the one thing I can do is stay at my sister's for a week or so when I move and do some scouting then. I am assuming it's pretty easy to quickly move in to my desired house or apartment, right? I'm not waiting for a ton of stuff to be moved as I am selling a ton here and only taking minimums. I can replace furniture and stuff out there.

Old 02-06-2015, 07:34 PM

Renting a room isn't an option. I have two kids, ages 9 and 3.5. I'd totally consider it if I didn't though. I did that for a time back in my 20's and loved having roommates. Just not a feasible thing with kiddos.

Old 02-06-2015, 07:54 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,289,109 times
I've heard complaints that the utilities in Maricopa are sky high, that alone could offset any rental savings. Not sure about schools there. If you want to be closer to $1,000, consider townhouse or patio home rentals in a god school district. if you can live with shared walls, you could really save a lot in utilities due to limiting exterior walls.

Old 02-07-2015, 06:15 AM

I keep reading about the crazy utility bills and it sounds like with that, it really isn't much of a savings as you mention. I think it would be a better option if not for that.

Old 02-07-2015, 06:19 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,619,598 times
If I were you I'd try San Tan, Queen Creek area. The homes are just as cheap but you have better schools, and a better location for commute. Maricopa is ok, but from what I've heard from my friends out there is that it's turning in the wrong direction out there. They are looking to get out. Just my 10 cents.

Old 02-09-2015, 08:54 PM

Thanks. I'm currently deciding between renting an apartment in Chandler or a house in Gilbert or Queen Creek.

Old 02-09-2015, 10:01 PM

47 posts, read 66,236 times
Casa Grande could also be a viable option for you. Cheap housing, about the same commute time and significantly more infrastructure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area