Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2015, 08:28 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,606,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I'm sorry. Some people you can never really know, no matter how long you know them.

It just strikes me that there must have been others who knew them better than you, who probably did have an inkling and did/said nothing, possibly because it's "uncool" to call anyone out on their recreational drug use.
I keep thinking that as well. I find it hard to believe nobody close to them knew. I'm not sure how to approach that though. To be honest, I'd just rather skip it and do what I can for their kids. I just hope it blows over quickly and they don't get a bunch of bad comments. I can't imagine doing this to your family although like I said, I can't imagine doing drugs either. I'm sure someone around them was aware though. I agree. Unfortunately it's a little late now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2015, 09:43 AM

784 posts, read 923,316 times
As I stated when this first came out....random acts of violence are very rare....that is why the police always look at family members first and close connections second usually involving drugs or other crimes.

As far as meth being in their system.....I can't think of one good reason injuries or not why anyone would allow that to happen.....just looking for a cheap high regardless of consequences...sad...very sad for the children.

Old 08-29-2015, 12:04 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,470,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
It's bizarre to think about as from what I've heard nobody knew.
Some people are very good at covering up what they are doing. Beyond this specific circumstance, how many times do we hear when someone is finally caught/discovered they are a serial psycho killer, go on a killing rampage, imprisons someone in their house for years, etc. and neighbors and family who knew them say they are shocked to learn they'd do such a thing, they were the nicest person, etc. For myself, nothing surprises me anymore.

Old 08-29-2015, 12:37 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I'm sorry. Some people you can never really know, no matter how long you know them.

It just strikes me that there must have been others who knew them better than you, who probably did have an inkling and did/said nothing, possibly because it's "uncool" to call anyone out on their recreational drug use.
Not necessarily, many people whether it be alcohol, drugs, gambling are very good at hiding the problem.

Especially if it isn't a long term issue.

And to look at the two of them from recent photos it doesn't look like they were too far along into this habit. When you see people with bad skin, teeth falling out, and they now weigh 30 pounds less than they used to and they weren't trying to lose weight, than you're blind not to notice.

This wasn't the case in this situation.

Quote:
I keep thinking that as well. I find it hard to believe nobody close to them knew. I'm not sure how to approach that though. To be honest, I'd just rather skip it and do what I can for their kids. I just hope it blows over quickly and they don't get a bunch of bad comments. I can't imagine doing this to your family although like I said, I can't imagine doing drugs either. I'm sure someone around them was aware though. I agree. Unfortunately it's a little late now.
PoppySead, you sound like a very nice caring person. Don't dwell on that, honestly I would say probably no one knew at this point, now had it continued and worsened and this incident didn't happen, than yes more than likely someone would have picked up on it.

You're smart, concentrate on those kids, they're going to need people like you.

Old 08-29-2015, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdahunt View Post
As I stated when this first came out....random acts of violence are very rare....that is why the police always look at family members first and close connections second usually involving drugs or other crimes.

As far as meth being in their system.....I can't think of one good reason injuries or not why anyone would allow that to happen.....just looking for a cheap high regardless of consequences...sad...very sad for the children.
It does explain a lot. I agree, not an excuse at all. At least this brings closure. We know now why someone would murder them. The children are the ones who will suffer indeed. I'm sure they are getting an ear full since the toxicology reports have come out. I hope it goes by quickly for them and they can get on with a better life.

Old 08-29-2015, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Not necessarily, many people whether it be alcohol, drugs, gambling are very good at hiding the problem.

Especially if it isn't a long term issue.

And to look at the two of them from recent photos it doesn't look like they were too far along into this habit. When you see people with bad skin, teeth falling out, and they now weigh 30 pounds less than they used to and they weren't trying to lose weight, than you're blind not to notice.

This wasn't the case in this situation.

PoppySead, you sound like a very nice caring person. Don't dwell on that, honestly I would say probably no one knew at this point, now had it continued and worsened and this incident didn't happen, than yes more than likely someone would have picked up on it.

You're smart, concentrate on those kids, they're going to need people like you.
Thank you so much for this post. It really made me feel better. They really didn't exhibit any signs of being Meth addicts. Yes, the kids are everyone's priority now. It's hard enough to have your parents murdered but to find out later it was related to drug abuse is horrific. They have to explain that for the rest of their lives.

Old 08-29-2015, 05:04 PM

296 posts, read 364,562 times
All of us have our vices of one kind or another and have made poor choices in the past. It doesn't make them bad people. I'm really sad to see this information divulged to the public. I certainly wouldn't want my dirty laundry aired for all to see. I feel really bad for the family.

Old 08-29-2015, 09:19 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,853,247 times
Quote:
Such a disappointment to friends and family for sure. It's bizarre to think about as from what I've heard nobody knew. Thinking about them searching all over the desert makes me sick. I feel deeply sorry for their kids, and this will leave a long lasting scar for sure. In a way I'm glad that there is at least a reason for this tragedy. I've been worried that the murderer was tied to people out to hurt the whole family, and I've been fearing for my friends safety being a relative. Now I can make sense of it all.

Unfortunately, when you do bad things, it usually ends in jail or death. A hard lesson learned. The trial will be in three years, and probably long and drawn out. The family will continue to suffer for years to come. I hope the public can be appropriate in commenting since their kids will see it. Even if drugs were involved the children are the only ones left to deal with the backlash. It's a sad ending to a very sad event in their lives and it's far from over.

I hope the "I told you so's" are short and people understand the kids weren't the ones using drugs, but they are the ones who will continue living with their parents legacy. Yes, drugs were involved, suspicions confirmed, and they paid the price for that behavior with their lives. I and everyone wishes they would have chosen a different path. At least it makes sense now, that's the only good outcome. The rest is still very hard to swallow. I knew them for 20 years and would have never thought this would happen.

Like Observer said, he hasn't been flying for years. He was injured and could not fly. I'm now wonder if that injury lead to drug abuse. He was on a lot of prescription drugs after the surgery. Gosh, it's just so hard to keep wondering where it all went so wrong. It's just so close to home for me. You just never know. I hear about these house wives addicted to Heroin, and middle class Americans doing Meth but it really just doesn't compute. I don't even drink so it's hard to imagine. I wish I could turn back the hands of time though, my friends are really going through a lot and there is nothing I can do to help. Just such a mess. Now the compassion will be gone, and they will have to deal with it alone. Such a sad turn of events and it just continues to get sadder.
This whole situation is so sad and should not happen, but we all know it does. Prayers to the family, and hugs to you PoppySead...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area