Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2019, 12:15 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,278,272 times

Advertisements

While I think this is an interesting idea if it will work, I have a feeling what will happen is the residents will have a car and they will leave those cars parked all around the adjacent neighborhoods. While people might embrace the idea of using light rail, buses, ride share, scooters etc I do believe most will still have a vehicle.

This comes across as one of those "pie in the sky" ideas that students in college presented to the professors in my Urban Planning undergrad program. While it's a cool idea I don't think it will work out as planned. And the guest parking will probably be used by the residents as well. In a way, the ASU dorms are similar communities, but those are usually utilized by freshmen and there is nearby University parking.

https://www.azfamily.com/news/reside...18ab9cd18.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2019, 12:33 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,816,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
While I think this is an interesting idea if it will work, I have a feeling what will happen is the residents will have a car and they will leave those cars parked all around the adjacent neighborhoods. While people might embrace the idea of using light rail, buses, ride share, scooters etc I do believe most will still have a vehicle.

This comes across as one of those "pie in the sky" ideas that students in college presented to the professors in my Urban Planning undergrad program. While it's a cool idea I don't think it will work out as planned. And the guest parking will probably be used by the residents as well. In a way, the ASU dorms are similar communities, but those are usually utilized by freshmen and there is nearby University parking.

https://www.azfamily.com/news/reside...18ab9cd18.html
I’m not against the idea. I’m all for it, actually. I’m against how much the rents are. They are comparable to the rent prices of nearby luxury apartment communities... with parking. I’m afraid many of these units will sit vacant and people will use that as ammunition to never approve such a development again. Or like what you said, angering the community and actively work against approving more developments like this.

I think the developer is trying to build more units than normal on the land and gain more profits because they won’t have to use the land for parking. Not because there is a significant demographic wanting to live car-free. I’m someone who would like to be, but I grew up here I know I’d be severely limited if I gave away my car, and I won’t do that. We aren’t there yet and won’t be for a while. Parking is a big cost to developers with little to no gain for them.

As an FYI, these apartments are starting at $1400-1500 month. I’m assuming for studios and small 1 bedrooms. Now the Local apartments in Tempe also start at $1400. The difference? I live above a Whole Foods, have parking, walking distance to Mill Avenue, and ASU. The Local is also overpriced, and most of it is sitting vacant or being used as AirBnB. This complex will fare worse at these prices. There is next to nothing near the Apache and Smith station. Meanwhile the Local has about... everything. Including light rail a couple blocks away.

Now if they are priced below market, the complex can actually compete with nearby developments for forgoing the parking “amenity” and will make college students and young working professionals (such as myself) actually reconsider having a car. You know, their intended market.

Old 11-20-2019, 12:39 PM

1,336 posts, read 927,972 times
Sounds doable, but better with some peripheral lots where residents could park their cars. I think everyone needs a car, even the most millenial of millenials.

We had something like this in San Jose, called Santana Row, which was shops on level 1, a few streets criss-crossings the shops, then residences above the shops for a few floors. The streets were closed off now and then for farmers markets etc., and there were underground and side parking lots. The streets could have permanently been closed without compromising (much?) the retail traffic.

Old 11-20-2019, 12:41 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,278,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veritased View Post
Sounds doable, but better with some peripheral lots where residents could park their cars. I think everyone needs a car, even the most millenial of millenials.

We had something like this in San Jose, called Santana Row, which was shops on level 1, a few streets criss-crossings the shops, then residences above the shops for a few floors. The streets were closed off now and then for farmers markets etc., and there were underground and side parking lots. The streets could have permanently been closed without compromising (much?) the retail traffic.
What you see a lot in CA where there is high density housing next to single family residential, you may need a permit to park in the street. This may be something that happens in this area if the cars take over the adjacent neighborhood.

Old 11-20-2019, 01:06 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,964,014 times
I'm wondering how young people who get half their calories from deliveries by DoorDash, GrubHub, Uber Eats and Postmates will fare.

I'm wondering how walkable the neighborhood will be in 112 degree weather. My vehicle has awesome A/C. I could not live here in summer without it.

I'm wondering how long it will take people to realize how expensive the ridesharing services get when you use them more than once in a while. Or that for $1500 a month, you can get a unit in Optima Sonoran Village that has underground parking.

Old 11-20-2019, 01:07 PM

1,692 posts, read 1,273,376 times
Good idea in theory, but I think they picked the wrong metro to try it in. To live here, you almost always need a car. We don't have a dense urban core. We have a lot of sprawl. On top of the high rents, these people will be spending money out of their ears on Uber and Lyft rides.

Old 11-20-2019, 01:09 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,964,014 times
B-b-b-but, it's right next to the LIGHT RAIL!

Old 11-20-2019, 01:13 PM

2,788 posts, read 7,451,406 times
From the Wall Street Journal, "The 1,000-person rental community, which broke ground this month in Tempe, won't allow residents to park cars on site or in the surrounding area as a term of their leases."

This was no doubt a step taken to placate residents of nearby neighborhoods, where homeowners have opposed new apartments, even those within included parking. What remains to be seen is how the provision will be enforced.

While I really like this concept, it's amazing to me how much hyperbole is found in the media coverage. There are thousands of existing apartment buildings in major cities without on-site parking. This may be a welcome first for the Phoenix Metro Area, but it's hardly the national milestone it's being portrayed as.

Old 11-20-2019, 02:10 PM

1,336 posts, read 927,972 times
Fluffy, good point. In Santana Row in San Jose, it's never hot to the point you can't walk around comfortably.
But for those 3-4 months, yeah, it's gonna suck not to be able to jump in your car which was in a covered garage.

Old 11-20-2019, 03:19 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,698,072 times
So the neighbors get pissed and have time limit parking put in. Soon the residents have their cars towed a few times and it all falls down
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area