Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2016, 03:55 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,472,346 times

Advertisements

Cox Raises Broadband Rates...For Second Time in 2016 | DSLReports, ISP Information

Says many customers already had a rate hike back in January. I think I recall a rate hike in the bill so guessing Phoenix metro was included in this. If so, that's 2 internet price hikes in one year. Nice.

Looks like the new higher rates are already posted on their site(make sure you select the "internet pricing" tab after you open up the url below as their permalink site defaults to tv rates):

https://www.cox.com/residential/pricing.html

We seriously need more broadband competition.

Last edited by stevek64; 09-26-2016 at 05:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2016, 04:09 PM

1,484 posts, read 3,141,375 times
The link to the cox pricing isn't working and I see no mention of a rate increase on my last two statements.

Old 09-26-2016, 04:11 PM

848 posts, read 968,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
We seriously need more broadband competition.
Within technology types, to make it effective - more than one fiber, more than one cable, more than one DSL, etc. Fiber vs cable vs DSL just aren't competitive with each other 95% of the time. They don't really overlap in bandwidth, or if they do, it's just barely and for a disproportionate cost. We aren't shopping for features, more like price, bandwidth, and needs. If there were more than one provider for a particular technology type, provider features and other non-technical factors would come in to play and prices would go down.

Old 09-26-2016, 04:20 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,964,244 times
Hurry up Google!

Old 09-26-2016, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungle View Post
The link to the cox pricing isn't working and I see no mention of a rate increase on my last two statements.
Thanks for pointing that out. I corrected my OP with a different url on how to see the new internet rates.

The first url source in my OP from the dslreport site info was posted today and says new prices will take place 10/6. The second site in my OP shows the higher/new prices already posted on Cox's site. I haven't received any contact on the new rates either. I don't recall receiving word on raised rates since I've been a customer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixSomeday View Post
Within technology types, to make it effective - more than one fiber, more than one cable, more than one DSL, etc. Fiber vs cable vs DSL just aren't competitive with each other 95% of the time. They don't really overlap in bandwidth, or if they do, it's just barely and for a disproportionate cost. We aren't shopping for features, more like price, bandwidth, and needs. If there were more than one provider for a particular technology type, provider features and other non-technical factors would come in to play and prices would go down.
I agree. That would certainly be the ideal.

Last edited by stevek64; 09-26-2016 at 05:12 PM..

Old 09-27-2016, 01:49 AM

1,216 posts, read 3,030,355 times
I recently called Cox to stop my home phone service. I was keeping it for the few faxes I exchanged occasionally. I realized that this year I haven't needed to fax anything and the only calls I seem to get are scammers and bill collectors looking for someone who used to have my home number many years ago. So of course I lost the "bundled" price for my internet, which I found out was really only about a $6 savings per month. The phone was about $30 a month including call waiting, voice messaging, taxes and fees. Then a couple of days later I received my e-bill and it did have the notification on it that internet prices were increasing 10/6 by $5 a month. I thought it was just me and I was being punished for "downgrading" my bundled service.

Old 09-27-2016, 06:34 AM

770 posts, read 838,112 times
This is getting ridiculous looks like my plan is going from 84.99 to 87.99 that was after an already $2 increase earlier this year. Sucks that there is a viable alternative for high speed internet here and I wish google fiber was here and more affordable.

Old 09-27-2016, 07:45 AM

576 posts, read 832,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempeAZnative View Post
This is getting ridiculous looks like my plan is going from 84.99 to 87.99 that was after an already $2 increase earlier this year. Sucks that there is a viable alternative for high speed internet here and I wish google fiber was here and more affordable.
Wow! $88? How fast is your connection, and do you really need something that fast? I have 18Mb down 1Mb up thru CenturyLink for $50 that is plenty fast enough to stream Netflix and SlingTV.

The only way Cox is going to stop raising rates is if they lose enough customers. Otherwise, it's the old adage of charging whatever the market will bear.

Old 09-27-2016, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey59 View Post
Wow! $88? How fast is your connection, and do you really need something that fast? I have 18Mb down 1Mb up thru CenturyLink for $50 that is plenty fast enough to stream Netflix and SlingTV.

The only way Cox is going to stop raising rates is if they lose enough customers. Otherwise, it's the old adage of charging whatever the market will bear.
Did you have cox internet service before you went to century link dsl in the Phoenix metro? I've always had cable internet service, never tried dsl. I do know the speed potential/differential between the two technologies but would be interested to know about the reliability/real world speed. The "up to" xyz speed vs real world speed on average. I noticed century link upload speed is only about 900k except for the 40Mbps service where it's higher.

Old 09-27-2016, 10:04 PM

576 posts, read 832,090 times
Well, I spoke too soon about the price of my DSL... I went to pay the bill today and discovered it had gone up to $65. So I contacted them to find out why and was told I had been on a 1 year introductory price and the year was up.

The speed has been very consistent at 18 down and 1 up. I have checked it numerous times over the past year and it was always right on the money. It went down only once a few days after they hooked me up. They sent a repair tech out and he found a loose connection on the pole. It has been up ever since (1 year). The only hiccups I have had have been with the modem / router (all in one). The wireless gets slow every once in a while.... usually only lasts a couple of minutes then speeds up on it's own. That has happened maybe 4 or 5 times in the last year.

Overall, I have been extremely satisfied with Century Link. Going to have to reevaluate the value though now that they are going to charge me $65.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area