Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2017, 07:22 AM

8 posts, read 6,589 times

Advertisements

Looking to move to the Phoenix Metro area around April. It would be myself and my dog at first, with my wife and kid joining around June. I've been searching around for safe apartments, short term leases (3-4 months) managed by reputable property management companies. However, I've been reading horror stories in Yelp and other sites about how when you move out of some of these places, all these "wear and tear" charges appear and there is no way to dispute them.

Some of the complaints I read seem ridiculous to complain about-like an apartment Manager assessed a fee of $1,400 due to smell and whole apartment had to be redone (-- strong smell of curry that ingrained in carpet & walls etc..) because I could see how that would impair the apt. the ability to rent the unit again; however, others were charged for wear and tear of already old carpet, paint, etc...which to me is cost of doing business in the industry. There is a difference between reasonable charges and those that are just flat out "robbery" of a tenant's money.

I would have minimal furniture and my dog (Lab) and I would probably steam clean carpets and clean the apartment like it was given to me prior to leaving. I could understand if someone was reckless with the place, partying, cats and dogs using the place as bathroom etc...I just want to make sure I don't get stuck in a place that practices those methods....and there are plenty of places like that in all States!

So are there apartment/management companies to "stay clear" from in Phoenix, Chandler, Gilbert areas and some that would be reputable and honest to deal with? I haven't pinpointed exactly where I would like to rent yet, but I'm ok with a commute if it means I'm safe and don't have to worry about BS charges for 3 months of renting!!

Thanks everyone for your feedback
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2017, 08:49 AM

1,350 posts, read 1,369,044 times
My opinion is a large, nationwide apartment management company is going to have the most consistent policies, procedures, etc. ... they deal in volume and they're professionals, so to speak, and there are many levels of hierarchy to appeal to if you feel like you're getting worked over. Remember, most people don't have any problems moving in and out, it's the X% that do have problems that fill up the internet with complaints.

What someone like you does NOT want is a mom-and-pop operation or a one-person landlord renting out a room or something because you never know when you'll encounter crazy in a situation like that.

It's been a long time since I've rented so I'll shy away from recommending any particular place or company on this forum but if you do some searches on here you'll come across some names that seem to be regarded well enough.

Old 02-20-2017, 12:35 PM

2,154 posts, read 5,181,777 times
In my opinion the policy and performance of the landlord/tenant is only as good as the lease agreement. If the lease has ambiguous terms or rules it is a breeding ground for conflict. Everybody likes the idea of the little old grandfatherly landlord who does things via a handshake and a promise, but that is not reality. Most larger property managers have their own leases, but YOU must read and agree to the terms. If it sounds nebulous (or even nefarious) don't sign it! If you have questions, get the answers in writing.

Regarding sites like YELP, etc. Keep in mind that most people post reviews when they are unhappy. Not many post when they are satisfied.

Since you are only planning a short term rental, it may not be too risky, but be prepared top pay a premium for a short term rental. You will also likely have to pay a non-refundable fee for the dog.

Old 02-20-2017, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZJoeD View Post
In my opinion the policy and performance of the landlord/tenant is only as good as the lease agreement. If the lease has ambiguous terms or rules it is a breeding ground for conflict. Everybody likes the idea of the little old grandfatherly landlord who does things via a handshake and a promise, but that is not reality. Most larger property managers have their own leases, but YOU must read and agree to the terms. If it sounds nebulous (or even nefarious) don't sign it! If you have questions, get the answers in writing.

Regarding sites like YELP, etc. Keep in mind that most people post reviews when they are unhappy. Not many post when they are satisfied.

Since you are only planning a short term rental, it may not be too risky, but be prepared top pay a premium for a short term rental. You will also likely have to pay a non-refundable fee for the dog.
Those are great points AZJoe! Definitely have to read and fully understand (and question) over what I would be agreeing to from the get go. An you are correct, as I would only use Yelp if I felt the need to let everyone know of a huge negative issue I may have encountered or a meaningful "going above and beyond" instance with a business, but not so much if everything went as intended in a normal course of doing business.

Old 02-20-2017, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsdaleMark View Post
My opinion is a large, nationwide apartment management company is going to have the most consistent policies, procedures, etc. ... they deal in volume and they're professionals, so to speak, and there are many levels of hierarchy to appeal to if you feel like you're getting worked over. Remember, most people don't have any problems moving in and out, it's the X% that do have problems that fill up the internet with complaints.

What someone like you does NOT want is a mom-and-pop operation or a one-person landlord renting out a room or something because you never know when you'll encounter crazy in a situation like that.

It's been a long time since I've rented so I'll shy away from recommending any particular place or company on this forum but if you do some searches on here you'll come across some names that seem to be regarded well enough.
Absolutely! I think you are correct, If I do the right thing and leave the apartment "as I did when I walked in" I shouldn't expect any issue with your larger, well established management companies. Definitely agree with the complaints you find in the internet, usually finding all the "bad", but seldom finding the "good" experiences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area