Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 11:27 PM

137 posts, read 372,365 times

Advertisements

Please let me know the truth about how the economy is there now?? I am an AZ native stuck in Seattle, WA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2009, 01:11 AM

1,012 posts, read 2,561,455 times
You are much better off in seattle. The phoenix economy is horrible. There are no jobs anywhere. the only jobs are for like $10 an hour that dont offer much of a paycheck or a future.....and thats if you have a degree! but housing prices, although declining 50% in 2 years, are now where they should be and keep falling. and according to AZ Central on Ch 12 this afternoon, the state of Arizona looks to lose more jobs in 2010 than 2009. and dont even get me started on the massive number of arizonans that are having to live on state or federal assistance (I became one of them last month). and arizona has lost the most jobs PER-CAPITA of any state in this agonizing recession.

Old 10-02-2009, 01:32 AM

3,995 posts, read 10,021,449 times
Depends on your career field. Don't listen to krock...he is full of it. However, every state and every city is dealing with the recession right now and there really aren't too many cities that are looking good. While Phoenix still has one of the lowest unemployment rates in the nation, it doesn't mean that jobs are plentiful; it is hit and miss depending on your profession.

Old 10-02-2009, 01:40 AM

3,966 posts, read 10,702,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
it is hit and miss depending on your profession.
That and there are a lot of ghost jobs. Job postings of jobs that do not exist. Karma will tune in here in a moment and call me a liar. I will disagree with him and blah blah blah.

Some people will say take anything you can get, but i disagree with that statement. What is the point of getting a job you are not good at to get fired within a month, or worse, that week.

So with that in mind, i've applied to 10 jobs in the past 2 days i know i could perform well in. The places i've applied to "we are currently not hiring" " i'll forward this to such and such manager when there is an available position"

Old 10-02-2009, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1ngzer0 View Post
That and there are a lot of ghost jobs. Job postings of jobs that do not exist. Karma will tune in here in a moment and call me a liar. I will disagree with him and blah blah blah.

Some people will say take anything you can get, but i disagree with that statement. What is the point of getting a job you are not good at to get fired within a month, or worse, that week.

So with that in mind, i've applied to 10 jobs in the past 2 days i know i could perform well in. The places i've applied to "we are currently not hiring" " i'll forward this to such and such manager when there is an available position"
Yep, it is hit and miss. I still know people moving here after being hired, but it is a small number. However, I know many more in other cities that are jobless.

Old 10-02-2009, 03:56 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,255,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krock1dk View Post
You are much better off in seattle. The phoenix economy is horrible. There are no jobs anywhere. the only jobs are for like $10 an hour that dont offer much of a paycheck or a future.....and thats if you have a degree! but housing prices, although declining 50% in 2 years, are now where they should be and keep falling. and according to AZ Central on Ch 12 this afternoon, the state of Arizona looks to lose more jobs in 2010 than 2009. and dont even get me started on the massive number of arizonans that are having to live on state or federal assistance (I became one of them last month). and arizona has lost the most jobs PER-CAPITA of any state in this agonizing recession.
I don't get it? Phoenix is only at 8.6% unemployment. It was looking like I was going to lose my job in Vegas, so I was going to come back to Phoenix because of the better job market. Luckily, my job is secure now so I am staying put. Las Vegas is sitting at 13.4%, which is way worse. I am willing to bet Nevada has been harder hit than Arizona as far as the recession. And since when is $10 an hour bad? I have been living on less than that for the last 3 years, and have done just fine.

Old 10-02-2009, 09:01 AM

4,624 posts, read 9,282,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
Yep, it is hit and miss. I still know people moving here after being hired, but it is a small number. However, I know many more in other cities that are jobless.
I think it's hit -or- miss, since you can't hit -and- miss something.

To answer the question, the job market in PHX sucks. This economy is dependent on construction and services. If you are in health care, like a registered nurse, you may be OK. My wife is a software developer, and many of her former co workers have been looking for jobs for about a year, and these are people with 10-20 years of experience, certifications and degrees. She gets calls weekly from friends seeing if her company is hiring, which they are not. Not saying it's any worse than Seattle, because I am not familiar with your market, but it is definitely not easy to find a quality job here right now. The same is true with most of the country though, with a few exceptions.

Old 10-02-2009, 09:04 AM

4,624 posts, read 9,282,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
I don't get it? Phoenix is only at 8.6% unemployment. It was looking like I was going to lose my job in Vegas, so I was going to come back to Phoenix because of the better job market. Luckily, my job is secure now so I am staying put. Las Vegas is sitting at 13.4%, which is way worse. I am willing to bet Nevada has been harder hit than Arizona as far as the recession. And since when is $10 an hour bad? I have been living on less than that for the last 3 years, and have done just fine.
If it works for you, that's great. For a majority of people, and especially those with families, hovering around the poverty level (which is currently $22,050 for a family of 4) is not good.

Old 10-02-2009, 09:06 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,359,422 times
The grass is always greener somewhere else I guess. People hit these forums thinking that Phoenix, or LA, or Dallas, or DC is the place to be. Guess what? It is hard everywhere now.

Old 10-02-2009, 02:16 PM

LOL, thank you yes it is hit OR miss! LOL...but while VegasDrunk may be able to sustain himself at $10 an hour many cannot. I'll tell you there is no way I'd be able to maintain my debts and payments with that. I'd have to sacrifice a lot and one reason I started saving and paying things off because you never know how will happen.

If I was to consider moving somewhere else, I would make sure I had a job lined up for sure before making that move. Especially to an overly expensive city like Seattle, or NYC, or San Fran, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area