Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2017, 10:18 PM

939 posts, read 2,381,526 times

Advertisements

After being on the house hunt for a few years, we finally bought a home. For the next four to six years, we will be coming and going throughout the entire year (but mainly November through April) before making Phoenix our primary residence. My husband was born and raised in the area, went to undergraduate and graduate school there and has since spent his working years in the Midwest. He is excited to return.

Until we make it our permanent residence, I'm curious as to whether the cable company has snowbird type service where you can shut off cable for several months of the year and get cheaper rates. If so, is it a hassle every time it's turned back on again? My mom does this in FL without too much inconvenience. I believe our only choice of cable provider where we'll be living is Cox, but I may be wrong.

Edit: I found my answer to this question, so adding link for anyone who might be searching for this information in the future:

https://www.cox.com/residential/spec.../seasonal.html

Also, how often does the pool need to be cleaned if no one swimming? Can I get by with every other week? Every third week? Or am I just asking for trouble if I do that?

Finally, what temperature do you maintain when you aren't there for long periods?

Any other wisdom you might impart would be appreciated.

Last edited by Paige65; 08-11-2017 at 10:51 PM.. Reason: Added link to information found
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2017, 06:51 AM

576 posts, read 832,351 times
Pretty sure Dish Network and DirecTV offer a hold for snowbirds too if you don't want to use Cox.

Can't speak to any pool questions, because I don't own one. I assume the question about the temperature refers to the house, not the pool. Set the A/C for as high as you can set it (usually 90-95). If you have exposed wood in the house, some people suggest sitting out buckets of water and filling the tub to keep the wood from getting too dry and it can't hurt. Although the buckets will probably dry up after about 2 or 3 months.

There are many other things that need to be taken care of before leaving for months at a time and they have been hashed out in this forum before, so if you do a search you should be able to find the lists.

Old 08-12-2017, 07:21 AM

586 posts, read 541,894 times
For the pool it would be pretty easy to ignore pool maintenance during the winter but in the summer with the extreme heat I would have someone looking after it weekly as the extreme heat could see the pool water go south pretty quickly. Much easier and cheaper to pay someone weekly than to try to recover from damage after bad maintenance schedule. And it really isn't that expensive to hire a pool company. I use Cox in the winter for internet. Sign up in November every year for introductory pricing and cut it off in Apr. Have been doing this for 5 years and pay about $40 a month, no idea on cable. I set my AC at 90 when I go home for the summer, bills stay low and nothing melts.

Old 08-12-2017, 08:46 AM

2,096 posts, read 3,811,701 times
Here's my checklist from when I was a snowbird:

Turn main water off. Irrigation shut off is usually below the main so no problems there. I also take my main handle off even when home and just put it in my irrigation valve box. That way if someone looks at your water shutoff the handles always off.

RV anti freeze in all sink and tub drains then put stoppers down. I'd even put blue painters tape over them.

Plastic wrap over all toilet bowls.

Shut off water heater and turn off gas

Unplug stove and turn off gas

Unplug all appliances,tv's etc. Probably overkill but I've seen many fires from faulty appliances through the years.

AC to 90 with a few 5 gal buckets of water throughout the house in the summer months

*** See if you can have a neighbor pick up all the flyers around your front door. I also had my landscaper check too and would give him a few extra bucks each month.

I have a house automation system now so you can control different lights at different times but if not leave a few lights on timers.

I'd bring in my patio set for the summer as the high winds from some of these monsoon storms can toss it around.

I bought a few cheap wifi cameras off Amazon so you can see what's going on throughout the house and they will also send you alerts if motions detected.

Old 08-12-2017, 09:33 AM

1,551 posts, read 3,647,786 times
A lot of snowbirds hire a caretaker to check on the house every week or two. They can do everything you need done and do it very cheaply. $20.00 or $30.00 a month.
For that price, you might have to slip them a few more dollars to watch your pool but it's something to check into.

Old 08-12-2017, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey59 View Post
Pretty sure Dish Network and DirecTV offer a hold for snowbirds too if you don't want to use Cox.

Can't speak to any pool questions, because I don't own one. I assume the question about the temperature refers to the house, not the pool. Set the A/C for as high as you can set it (usually 90-95). If you have exposed wood in the house, some people suggest sitting out buckets of water and filling the tub to keep the wood from getting too dry and it can't hurt. Although the buckets will probably dry up after about 2 or 3 months.

There are many other things that need to be taken care of before leaving for months at a time and they have been hashed out in this forum before, so if you do a search you should be able to find the lists.
Thanks. Luckily my in-laws live about ten minutes away, so they are available to check on things for us. So, I don't have to be quite as diligent (though I also don't want to take advantage of them).

Old 08-12-2017, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick974 View Post
A lot of snowbirds hire a caretaker to check on the house every week or two. They can do everything you need done and do it very cheaply. $20.00 or $30.00 a month.
For that price, you might have to slip them a few more dollars to watch your pool but it's something to check into.
Thanks. I have my "free" in-laws" with lots of time on their hands and generosity in their hearts who will do a lot of the checking in on things. If there comes a time when the are unable or unwilling, a house caretaker is a fantastic idea.

Old 08-12-2017, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxer1K View Post
Here's my checklist from when I was a snowbird:

Turn main water off. Irrigation shut off is usually below the main so no problems there. I also take my main handle off even when home and just put it in my irrigation valve box. That way if someone looks at your water shutoff the handles always off.

RV anti freeze in all sink and tub drains then put stoppers down. I'd even put blue painters tape over them.

Plastic wrap over all toilet bowls.

Shut off water heater and turn off gas

Unplug stove and turn off gas

Unplug all appliances,tv's etc. Probably overkill but I've seen many fires from faulty appliances through the years.

AC to 90 with a few 5 gal buckets of water throughout the house in the summer months

*** See if you can have a neighbor pick up all the flyers around your front door. I also had my landscaper check too and would give him a few extra bucks each month.

I have a house automation system now so you can control different lights at different times but if not leave a few lights on timers.

I'd bring in my patio set for the summer as the high winds from some of these monsoon storms can toss it around.

I bought a few cheap wifi cameras off Amazon so you can see what's going on throughout the house and they will also send you alerts if motions detected.

Thanks! Great suggestions. Our house is a little bit remote and on an acre of land, so the idea of security camera and/or auto-timers, even though there won't be much of anything in there of value as we aren't furnishing it the way we really want until we are there full-time.

Hadn't thought of moving the patio furniture in because of storms. That tip there could save me a lot of money because 3/4 of the back of the house is doors and windows, with one almost twenty-foot opening. Perfect place for a chair to blow through or damage glass.

Old 08-12-2017, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bates419 View Post
For the pool it would be pretty easy to ignore pool maintenance during the winter but in the summer with the extreme heat I would have someone looking after it weekly as the extreme heat could see the pool water go south pretty quickly. Much easier and cheaper to pay someone weekly than to try to recover from damage after bad maintenance schedule. And it really isn't that expensive to hire a pool company. I use Cox in the winter for internet. Sign up in November every year for introductory pricing and cut it off in Apr. Have been doing this for 5 years and pay about $40 a month, no idea on cable. I set my AC at 90 when I go home for the summer, bills stay low and nothing melts.
Thank you. Agreed that weekly pool maintenance is better than big problems. Was just curious if that is somewhere I could cut corners. Sounds like maybe I could in the winter.

I was hoping we could set the thermostat pretty high. Good to know that's doable without issues.

Old 08-12-2017, 03:14 PM

586 posts, read 541,894 times
Very easy to do yourself in the winter without much fear of an algae bloom or bigger issues. But in fairness you probably won't save more than a few hundred dollars a year doing it yourself for 6 months vs hiring a pool company year round.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paige65 View Post
Thank you. Agreed that weekly pool maintenance is better than big problems. Was just curious if that is somewhere I could cut corners. Sounds like maybe I could in the winter.

I was hoping we could set the thermostat pretty high. Good to know that's doable without issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: