Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2017, 06:04 PM

3 posts, read 2,090 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Looking into building a new Home n Desert Oasis in Surprise AZ. We are from California and visited the area
2 weeks ago. We are looking into building a "home by towne" house.

We need help, I need reviews. We are escaping crazy California and are looking for a nice family friendly, low crime, quiet neighborhood!

Also I need honest opinion on Desert Oasis school, the reviews are very mixed! my son will be is starting kindergarden next year.

Thank you !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2017, 06:07 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,641,113 times
Work location?

Old 10-31-2017, 11:00 PM

2,773 posts, read 5,724,866 times
That's a little 'out there' if you ask me (relative to the rest of Surprise). You may be a trailblazer and profit from the risk but you may be so far ahead that the area doesn't catch up or stays only partially developed. At the very least, I'd wait to see how the bond vote goes next week (I think they want a new fire house there among other projects around town).

Old 11-01-2017, 04:45 PM

Hi,

thanks for the responses! My husband is retiring and I will be working from home. We are just looking for calmer, cheaper area to live in. Thanks for the info on the bond!

Old 11-01-2017, 08:02 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,733,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Madolf View Post
That's a little 'out there' if you ask me (relative to the rest of Surprise). You may be a trailblazer and profit from the risk but you may be so far ahead that the area doesn't catch up or stays only partially developed. At the very least, I'd wait to see how the bond vote goes next week (I think they want a new fire house there among other projects around town).
I have to second Madolf on this one, I wouldn't buy anything that far out as there's a decent chance development never catches on out there, especially with the trends these days go move inward and upward, not further out. If something seems like too much of a bargain there's probably more than one reason why.

Old 11-02-2017, 05:56 AM

9,741 posts, read 11,159,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
I have to second Madolf on this one, I wouldn't buy anything that far out as there's a decent chance development never catches on out there, especially with the trends these days go move inward and upward, not further out. If something seems like too much of a bargain there's probably more than one reason why.
I'm borrowing a statement that Ponderosa made a while ago which stuck with me. It relates to geometry. He pointed out something basic that I overlooked. The farther you out you go from the center of the town, the longer it takes to fill in. Well of course. But we are talking MUCH longer when we are talking about the farthest out location in Surprise. Because the shear amount of surface area of development that will have to build out for properties to appreciate is measures in 15+ years. So from an investment POV, it's not so good for ROI. For an infrastructure POV, it's also going to take some time.

So while I live in Surprise too, about 1/3 of the towns 108 square miles of surface area has been developed. Desert Oasis is out there! As in, 12 miles away from me or 18 minutes away by car (no traffic). I don't want to be any farther away. If you look on the map, Desert Oasis is well on the way to Wickenburg. I'm 3 minutes from the 303 and about 8 minutes from Grand and Dysart.

In hind-site (I'm also self employed and I work out of my home), I probably would have bought something closer in even though I love a lot about our community and town. Recently, trips to the Mayo, the airport, and having to buy parts in Phoenix has reminded me that when you need drive more central, it is a PITA. When I don't have to drive to make runs, not a problem. But the reality is sometimes there is no way to avoid it. When you get caught up in rush hour more often that you like, you start to realize the trade-off that you agreed to.

So to the OP. I've driven around Desert Oasis. There isn't a lot of activity in the streets and community as compared to other spots in town. So if you are looking for something (too) quiet, you found the spot!

Old 11-02-2017, 08:26 AM

39,077 posts, read 51,218,516 times
Is this the Desert Oasis that is at the end of Jomax Road? If so, I don't get all the "out there" posts. It is a couple miles from the 303 and US 60 and a relative stone's throw from the Sun Cityopolis. Sun City has everything a person could need and a lot they never will.

I understand why people want to be away from all the congestion of the more developed areas. I chased that life style for over four decades in this area. When I lived in Ahwatukee people said we were crazy to be so far out but we were driven out by growth. If you have your own elementary that is great. That life is how it was when we moved to Estrella - small, friendly, own school, nobody from the dregs of Phoenix coming around with their crime. We left our garages open and never worried about our kids playing in the park. It all changed over 20 years or so and it is the same as everywhere else now. Go for it and pray that it takes the rest of your life before it turns into cheek to jowl humanity out there.

Old 11-02-2017, 09:00 PM

Thank for the answers, they are really helpful. We are on the fence. I find Desert Oasis a little too far, but the house that we could build would be perfect from us. The other thing is too that I do not know how I feel being so close to the desert. I am quite worried about the possibility of having snakes in my yard, garage.... We would like to build a pool and I know that snakes are attracted to water.
Do you encounter snakes or scorpions in other parts of Surprise that are closer to the center of town?
We also looked at Greer ranch and rancho gabriella. They looked like nice and clean communities.
It is so hard to find the perfect place to call home!

Old 11-02-2017, 11:12 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,641,113 times
A new build in the middle of nowhere? Yes, you’ll have all sorts of critters to deal with for sure.

Old 11-03-2017, 04:49 AM

9,741 posts, read 11,159,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by archybony View Post
Thank for the answers, they are really helpful. We are on the fence. I find Desert Oasis a little too far, but the house that we could build would be perfect from us. The other thing is too that I do not know how I feel being so close to the desert. I am quite worried about the possibility of having snakes in my yard, garage.... We would like to build a pool and I know that snakes are attracted to water.
Do you encounter snakes or scorpions in other parts of Surprise that are closer to the center of town?
We also looked at Greer ranch and rancho gabriella. They looked like nice and clean communities.
It is so hard to find the perfect place to call home!
Have you been over to the area yet? I "thought" Greer Ranch didn't have natural gas pulled into their hood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area