Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2019, 12:11 PM

8,044 posts, read 12,265,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhureeKeeper View Post
There are 4.5 million people in the Phoenix metro area. I can't imagine that many people find it debilitating to the point of not being able to function, otherwise no one would live here!

I have dry eye syndrome, but it's familial. (thanks, Mom) My symptoms are worsened by staring at a computer screen all day. When it's bad I use warm compresses on my eyes 2x per day.
My mother has Sjogren's Syndrome, which not only affects the eyes, but the mouth, sinus, throat, and skin. It can also affect some other organs like the kidneys & liver if it gets bad enough. A dry climate is not the cause of Sjogren's, but the long dry spells we have certainly don't help the condition any ... in fact, it's worse when the humidity is in the single digits. She's on medication, but one of the side effects is profuse sweat spells.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2019, 02:39 PM

163 posts, read 207,007 times
I moved here from the northeast and haven't had any issues with dryness. It doesn't affect me at all but all people are different.

Old 01-12-2019, 07:55 PM

77 posts, read 74,373 times
I recommend using Cerave moisturizing cream when you first get out of the shower. Don't towel dry but no longer dripping wet. If you apply it that way it will lock in all the moisture. It lasts all day and your skin will be nice and smooth. Try it, you'll love it in any weather.

Old 01-17-2019, 12:41 PM

743 posts, read 876,806 times
I noticed when I first moved here how thirsty I was all the time. I increased my water intake and that solved it. I also use lotion after showering for about 7-8 months out of the year. When the monsoons come it's more humid so I don't have to use it then. Other than that, it's really no big deal. You'll get used to always carrying a water bottle wherever you go.

Old 01-18-2019, 06:51 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,294,079 times
Drink a lot of water. it's so simple!

Old 01-18-2019, 01:53 PM

7,778 posts, read 6,387,704 times
We addressed the dryness by returning to Florida. On trips to Rocky Point, Mazatlan and Cabo San Lucas we were much more comfortable than in the Phoenix metro area. We did have a humidifier in the house.

Old 01-21-2019, 05:52 PM

505 posts, read 584,345 times
One reason I've decided not to move to Phoenix is the terrible air quality -

http://ktar.com/story/1029916/hold-y...in-the-nation/
https://www.lung.org/our-initiatives.../maricopa.html

I get splitting migraines, allergies and asthma whenever I visit. One Phoenix realtor tried to say the smog was dew from a recent rain. I've had friends who used to live in Phoenix say their asthma cleared up once they moved back to the midwest/east. I currently live in Las Vegas and must live with a humidifier on, still get nose bleeds and if I don't moisturize my skin right after a shower, I feel like a piece of burnt toast. Living at elevation in Denver was equally as bad. If you're not super sensitive Phoenix might work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area