Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2019, 09:53 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times

Advertisements

Last night, Goodyear became the first valley city to raise the age that people can buy vaping supplies as well as subjecting vaping to the same restrictions as smoking in public places. I don't know that the age increase will have much effect as other cities right next door still sell them. But the vaping in public places gets a big hoorah from me. Will other valley cities follow suit or will our corrupt legislature step in and stop cities from making their own choices on the matter as they have done on many issues in the past? Would you like your city to restrict sales and ban the public use of vaping products?

https://www.12news.com/article/news/...c-4b84506839f8
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2019, 10:20 AM

3,424 posts, read 2,919,706 times
I'm no fan of vaping, and don't like cigarette smoke either, but, what I can't understand is why vaping is being treated any differently than cigarettes?
Its like the tobacco industry has decided that vaping is hurting their business, so they are launching an all out assault on it, acting like its some incredible killing machine...and their cancer sticks, that have killed tens of millions of us over the years are somehow "not the same"..

so hypocritical, its shameful...

Old 09-24-2019, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
I'm no fan of vaping, and don't like cigarette smoke either, but, what I can't understand is why vaping is being treated any differently than cigarettes?
Its like the tobacco industry has decided that vaping is hurting their business, so they are launching an all out assault on it, acting like its some incredible killing machine...and their cancer sticks, that have killed tens of millions of us over the years are somehow "not the same"..

so hypocritical, its shameful...
Altria (Marlboro) has a 35% stake in Juul the leading vape manufacturer. We had come so far in getting/keeping kids from ever starting a cigarette habit and now along comes Juul and reverses so much of that. I'm happy to see that Goodyear and cities and states around the country are now beginning to treat vaping like the same public menace as cigarette smoking.

Old 09-24-2019, 11:19 AM

3,109 posts, read 2,972,333 times
Making it illegal will only make it more popular with the minors.

Old 09-24-2019, 11:39 AM

3,424 posts, read 2,919,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Altria (Marlboro) has a 35% stake in Juul the leading vape manufacturer. We had come so far in getting/keeping kids from ever starting a cigarette habit and now along comes Juul and reverses so much of that. I'm happy to see that Goodyear and cities and states around the country are now beginning to treat vaping like the same public menace as cigarette smoking.
very true; but I am sure they see vaping as a threat to their bottom line, so they pretend vaping is horrible, but all the while pretending cigarette deaths aren't that important..
I just wish they would mention cigarettes in the same sentence when they talk about the dangers of vaping..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
good point, young folks always want to taste the forbidden fruit..

Old 09-24-2019, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
What worked with cigarettes was education about the risks and high taxes that made it pretty expensive to smoke. It is hard for a single city to do much on taxes. Maybe we need a state law. Smoking in public was put out of our misery by a referendum when the state legislature refused to act and even blocked measures.

Old 09-24-2019, 12:14 PM

3,285 posts, read 2,663,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post

Wait a minute... kids are smoking with an age of 18 to vape, so raising the age will stop kids from vaping?

What is your definition of a "kid"?

Old 09-24-2019, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
Wait a minute... kids are smoking with an age of 18 to vape, so raising the age will stop kids from vaping?

What is your definition of a "kid"?
50? LOL. 18 puts it in high schools. And when I was a kid, 15 was the new 18 on my fake ID. I do think the better part of the new ordinance though is the banning of it in public places. We need to make vaping as socially unacceptable and disgusting as we have done with cigarettes. That probably influences decisions more than the age law would.

Old 09-24-2019, 03:20 PM

381 posts, read 344,681 times
I'm not stating a position on this, but I assume that the thinking goes something like this...

Many 18 year olds are still in their senior year of high school, making it easy for their underage peers to get access to eCigs (or cigarettes for that matter) through their friends. Moving the age to 21 makes it far less likely for high schoolers to get access.

A big probalem though, would be if vaping age is older than cigarette age. If cigarettes are available at 18, but vape at 21, high schoolers will go back to smoking cigarettes instead of (possibly) vape.

The exclusion of vape from public places is purely for the public shaming of vape, as was done with cigarettes. Nobody huddled outside in the rain smoking is cool, just as nobody huddled outside vaping would be cool. I believe that part of the regulation is to hrt the image and appeal of vaping. Better or worse.

Old 09-24-2019, 05:03 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,701,421 times
IT'S ABOUT TIME . . .

Basic Logic and Common Sense screams loud and clear that if regular Cigarettes are "Bad For One's Health" then why in the world would Vaping or E-Cigs not be equally as bad? How many more cases of death and/or long term illness will it take?

Also, I have often wondered why Vaping and E-Cigs are allowed to advertise on TV while it is against the law for regular cigarettes to do so.

Another example of the God Almighty Dollar winning over Logic and Common Sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: