Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2022, 10:01 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,203,209 times

Advertisements

Found this article really interesting and thought I’d share.

Quote:
In 1867, the city's founding father, Jack Swilling – a prospector who had fought on both sides of the Civil War – stood above the Salt River Valley and saw the remnants of irrigation channels squiggling across the landscape like stretchmarks. He realised that, centuries before, some society had farmed this desert. Soon after, Swilling began scouring out the debris-clogged ditches to bring agriculture back to the region.
Quote:
Three years later, Swilling and other Anglo pioneers met to consider names for their settlement. The top contenders were Pumpkinville and Stonewall. Luckily, eccentric English adventurer "Lord" Darrell Duppa proposed a name inspired by the resurrection of the canals. "A great race once dwelt here, and another great race will dwell here in the future," he mused. "I prophesy that a new city will spring, phoenix-like, from the ruins and ashes of the old."
Quote:
That great society was the Hohokam. Between 100 and 1450 CE, they constructed 1,000 miles of canals – the largest system of waterways in the Americas north of Peru. This sophisticated irrigation system harnessed river water and a meagre seven inches of annual rainfall and funnelled it to more than 100,000 acres of farmland. And they dug it all by hand with stones and sticks.

"The engineering is phenomenal," said Kathy Henderson, principal investigator at Desert Archaeology, an Arizona-based cultural resources management and research company. "We don't see a sequence where they start small. The canals are being built to scale as early as 500 or 600 [CE]. They must have been very attuned to how to transport water a long distance."
Who knew Phoenix was so close to being named “Pumpkinville?”

The name Phoenix finally makes sense now - I’m sure a lot of you locals are familiar with the origin but it was definitely news to me. I learned a lot of interesting stuff from this article. It’s also interesting to imagine what the valley would have looked like during the period in which it was inhabited by the Hohokam.

https://www.bbc.com/travel/article/2...-north-america
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2022, 10:37 PM

39,073 posts, read 51,205,311 times
I knew about Swilling, the Hohokam, and the origin of the name. I hadn't heard of Pumpkinville before. Phoenix resideints call themselves Phoenicians which has nothing to do with the Phoenix bird mythology and thus makes no sense. Given this bit of history, it might be more appropriate to call ourselves "pumpkinheads". Can I get an "amen"?

Old 09-11-2022, 10:48 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,730,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I knew about Swilling, the Hohokam, and the origin of the name. I hadn't heard of Pumpkinville before. Phoenix resideints call themselves Phoenicians which has nothing to do with the Phoenix bird mythology and thus makes no sense. Given this bit of history, it might be more appropriate to call ourselves "pumpkinheads". Can I get an "amen"?

I bet smashing pumpkins can get behind that nickname for their show in Phoenix this November.

Old 09-11-2022, 07:47 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,203,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
I bet smashing pumpkins can get behind that nickname for their show in Phoenix this November.
Haha… Im definitely a pumpkinhead. I’ll be seeing them in Seattle also in November.

Old 09-12-2022, 09:47 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,730,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Haha… Im definitely a pumpkinhead. I’ll be seeing them in Seattle also in November.

Nice! I'll only be at the PHX show but definitely excited for the combo with Janes Addiction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: