Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2008, 07:56 PM

611 posts, read 1,990,850 times

Advertisements

I saw the fruit tree thread. What's the potential for growing tomatoes and other vegatables? I know the soil is very coarse and rocky at least from what I've seen. Also what about watering? Both fruit trees and vegatables.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2008, 08:01 PM

39,075 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markas214 View Post
I saw the fruit tree thread. What's the potential for growing tomatoes and other vegatables? I know the soil is very coarse and rocky at least from what I've seen. Also what about watering? Both fruit trees and vegatables.
The soil is actually great in many parts of the valley - in the areas that were formerly irrigated farmland. If you live in an area near mountains, you probably can't grow anything - I've had no luck at all in Estrella - unless you go with raised beds of topsoil you bring in.

Otherwise, you can grow melons and such in the summer and pretty much anything that grows in the east in the summer can be grown in winter here. Tomatoes are hit and miss because they go in in early spring but a heat wave will make them drop the buds. My MIL grew great tomatoes for many years. There are varieties that are best for this climate.

Old 08-18-2008, 09:56 PM

1,169 posts, read 5,266,274 times
There is an Arizona gardening forum at Gardening in Arizona - GardenWeb

Old 08-18-2008, 10:06 PM

559 posts, read 1,463,814 times
We have had good luck gardening in Arizona, we've grown peppers, cucumbers, banana squash, corn.

Old 08-19-2008, 04:09 AM

3,088 posts, read 5,352,508 times
The trick to gardening in AZ (well, one of the tricks, at least) is to get the "season" thing right. Summer is not the growing season. We actually have two short growing seasons. . . one in the spring, and one in the fall. With frost / freeze protection, many food crops can be grown all winter. Best source of both general and specific information is the Maricopa County Cooperative Extension Service, Master Gardener Hotline. I believe they also have an online question and answer board.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area